IBM
3,9 out of 5 stars.

IBM Employee Reviews in Austin, TX

Compensation is okay, but better than smaller companies.Where IBM really shines is in the talented people that it has, in my case both engineers and managers.Also they have some very interesting products.
IBM is obviously a huge company, one of the biggest in the world. If you work in the MCMP group like me then you realize how slow IBM is to new trends in technology like cloud computing. As a result the budget for your division may get slashed and management will be unable to retain or recruit top talent, especially in the US. Many jobs are getting offshored. Also the vague announcement of “NewCo” has many people alarmed and many senior employees have recently left for greener pastures.
Pros
Good brand globally, good marketing, good requirements gathering for new features
Cons
Weak engineering talent, dysfunctional management
I worked at IBM for 6 years as a Software Engineer in different software engineering-related roles. If you can avoid getting "RAed" (or resource actioned AKA laid off) it's a pretty good job. Pay is lacking and upward mobility is pretty hard to come by unless someone leaves on your team and opens up a position. Pay increases are almost nonexistent unless you get a band increase. Management is hit or mess. There are some great managers and some terrible - it really depends on the specific team. One nice thing is how easy it is to move within the company. The differences between teams can be intense. Some teams seem to have unlimited budgets and resources, while others are barely scraping by. My advice: if you don't like the current team you're on, try to move!
Pros
Healthcare, 401-K matching
Cons
Pay, lack of advancement opportunities
Feeling like a cog in a big machine.Very slow-pacedGood for people who have a familySchedule is flexibleDepends on which team you're on, things can be very different
Pros
flexible, easy paycheck
Cons
too slow, bureaucratic, company overall is not doing well, hard to see a future
I worked there as a software designer & developer. I regret leaving this company. It has an amazing culture, with amazing people. I didn't personally get along with my Team lead. I asked him to trust me, and he said he couldn't because the last developer he trusted sank his whole business.That being said, that was a one off. Many of the other team leads at IBM are amazing. My last team lead, especially so. I left for personal reasons, and that ended up being the biggest mistake of my life.
Pros
Free lunches, fun stuff to do with coworkers, office parties, great work/life balance, amazing experiences.
When you have a project it's great but things have slowed down a lot recently. The constant fear of layoffs makes every day a joy....make of that what you will
Enjoyed my career at IBM. Was treated with respect and trust. My management team was fair and reasonable. The support staff behind me was always there to assist in landing large competitive transactions.
As a first job/internship, this was a neat place to be. Ibm is a colossus in tech and getting the chance to look inside was pretty cool. The downside was that a lot o the folks who worked there didn't know what I or some of my teammates were supposed to do which made it confusing to find tasks and approach issues later.
Pros
Snacks, The People
The only downside to my time of working with IBM as an intern is that they readily kept the internships for COVID but seemed to dial down their expectations so much that it sometimes seemed like I didn't have to put in any effort.
Very Diverse company. Contained people from all walk's of life with different skill sets. Company was essentially a melting pot where you could learn from each other and presented many opportunities to move from project to project to pick up new skills.
From the board of directors to the CEO on down to the numerous VP layers, there's an apparent lack of substantive leadership. There are lots of smart people at IBM, but most IBMers don't dare share their point of view about how to energize the legacy culture and turn-around this once great tech company.
Pros
Typical large company benefits for all employees
Cons
The retired-in-place culture of perpetual apathy towards growth
I loved working with my group--really fantastic and brilliant people. I enjoyed my work and found opportunities to learn new skills. I didn't enjoy being laid off.
Pros
Great people.
Cons
Not the best benefits package.
Great company that needs new leadership and strategy. On April they apponted a new CEO, which should help. I moved on to work for a smaller company. I look forward to the exeperience
Pros
job diversity
Cons
lack of growth
Work-life balance is very important at IBM. I worked remotely and at my own pace. The managers are very interested in the well being of their reports and they are very invested in their career success
Inept Business Machines, as the entire leadership and executives are leading a bad company even worse. There is hardly any promotions or ability to improve roles or more compensation or increase in band levels. No matter how hard that you work or patents that you get or awards or stretch projects. Typically, there is not a bonus. A good one may be $200-$250. Rare to get anything above that, like a $350 yearly bonus would be incredible. 1 time in 2019 I got a $800 bonus, it must have been a fluke, it is unheard of!
Enjoyable work environment, but the budget is tight so bonuses or raises are far and few between. Growth wise it's hard to recommend. You'll be given a relatively small subset of the project you're put on and not given much else in some cases.
Where do I even begin... I worked for IBM for several years as a developer. IBM is the epitome of bureaucracy. There are literally tens of thousands of managers and presidents here. Many of whom are completely disconnected from their frontline workers. I was one of a few developers in a relatively small department. My first-line manager left ALL of the heavy lifting to my team. He would come into the office to "work" from 11 am to around 2 pm, then call it a day. Not kidding here. We had four departmental meetings over the course of five years... his work consisted of hosting monthly one-on-ones and giving generic one-liners in our quarterly assessments that included things like, "Making good progress", and "Continue to learn about the Cloud". Why IBM is paying a manager six figures to do what any functional adult could do is beyond me. Because my manager knew so little about the work my team did, he frequently mis-hired people, which only added to our collective workload. At one point, he hired a contractor who couldn't grasp basic computer concepts (I thought this was a tech company?). After six months of agony, he finally acquiesced to the team's demands and let her go. Recently, the company underwent another "restructuring" and guess who survived the large-scale layoff? Not the data scientist with a PhD. Not the distinguished engineer with multiple patents. Nope. He did. This appears to be a very common theme throughout the company. Just about everywhere you look, you'll see layers of ineffective managers that are being paid high salaries and are immune to - more...
Pros
Some departments allow you to work from home
Cons
No job security
IBM is a large company with many opportunities. More than that I would prefer not to say given that I am still technically employed by IBM and want to reduce the risk
My experience was great other than a bad managerial experience . I was often helped by those who already worked at the company. It was welcoming overall.
Culture is laid back, and doesn't try and make itself the center of your life. IBM treats it's employees as well as it can given how many it has.. They actively encourage you to move around in the company if you're not happy, and even have an internal site for finding a new position. They offer tons of internal training assistance and even require that you spend 40 hours a year minimum on self-directed learning and training during work hours. It's a good company that encourages growth and has a lot of very knowledgeable employees to learn from. It's also huge and moves slowly, which can be discouraging for new hires used to more fast paced companies. I enjoy it, even if sometimes I wish I was working on something more exciting, or on something with a more obvious impact.
IBM' been in decline for a long time. The people who could have left, the people that remain are fearful. As a result you have company that is resistant to change and fear reactive and that also is lead by the marginal. That being said, the technical people are generally excellent, they just are not allowed to do what they need to.