IBM
3,9 out of 5 stars.

IBM Employee Reviews in Bethesda, MD

I wasn't at IBM very long coming part of an acquisition but the systemic shift occurring at IBM didn't favor my position in the company. From what I learned while on job is that the company morale is not on par with what it used to be - perhaps it is the changing nature of the IT landscape that led the company here but it is what it is.
Pros
Lots of things to learn, be exposed to and work flexibility
Cons
Not much visibility into how to grow your career
After 18 years I was laid off a few years ago. I was a solid performer and I believe IBM has been laying off older folks in order to replace them with younger workers. The company is not very transparent. It's a great company to enhance your career. The target always seems to be moving...the number hours you work, billable hours, where you work, etc...
Pros
Lots of opportunity to learn. A lot of smart peers to work with.
Cons
No employee loyalty. Lots of layoffs.
My life at IBM has been fun and very worthwhile. The atmosphere is very relaxed and informal and has been very enjoyable. Overall I would say my experience working with IBM has been a pleasant one.
Pros
Very casuale environment
Cons
Requirement to be in the office 80% of the time
I worked at IBM almost 10 years and found them to be a very good, highly ethical company. They support diversity and encourage worklife balance. Many IBMers work remote in order to reduce the need for corporate workspace.
IBM is a great place to work if you can cope with the fast pace. There is plenty of training and one should take advantage of it especially as most of its free. The training is of the best quality. Also, you need to develop relationship with not just your manager and colleagues, but with others who you see only once a month or so. This helps you are not put on the bench for too long when/if a contract ends.
Went through 2 layoffs while I was there. Was able to build a $6 million dollar pipeline in 6 months at HHS. I was selling business analytics and Watson. I also covered Department of Treasury.
Productive and fun Place. Workplace culture is great. Management is top notch. I learned a great deal of storage and virtualization during my 9yr tenure.
IBM is a fun place to work in terms of culture and benefits however I am looking for something that pays more and that will allow more telecommuting and also flexibility.
Very professional approach. Professional management and growth, assignment resourcing and administrative leadership is "matrixed". Culture is very client oriented.
When I first started, IBM was great, but you will never get paid a lot. You have to leave and then come back in order to get a decent salary, which sucks.
There is a strong emphasis on growth and training. Management has been dedicated to leading by example. The best part of the job is that as an employee there are always opportunities to learning new things.
Pros
Compensation and benefits
Cons
Job security
IBM employs the best of the best. Worked in a sales office with employees who are driven to succeed. Competition is high and can be a stressful environment as everyone is trying to reach a common goal. Fair workplace environment.
Pros
Salary, benefits and work environment
Cons
Can be stressful at times. Work may require overtime at times.
The days were long but rewarding. The management team was open to my ideas on system and process improvements. I was well trained for the diversity of assignments I had during my career.
IBM has been and will always be a top notch company in my opinion. They were always providing employees with bonuses and incentives that go beyond the average Information Technology company.
Pros
Free lunches and health screenings
Cons
I really like working for this company it was one of the best jobs i ever had .I would tell anybody to work for this company if you want a great secure career
Pros
layoff
Cons
layoffs
Overall working at the GBS/IBM was a complete waste of time as there was no real work culture that promoted development of one's skills. There was no team work and collaboration.
Zero professional development but yet the expectation you will be proficient in the latest technology available. Constantly driven to bill hour beyond the standard work week. Constant management change resulting in a management staff unaware and unconcerned about the people they were managing. Lack of oversight by management and a promotional system based on a ranking system led to the low hanging fruit of billable hours being the primary criteria.
Something new always on the horizon. Clients respected our opinions. Lots of internal training available. Opportunities for work close to home and far away.
Good Job - Full of learning opportunities. Lots of career advancement and plenty of learning opportunities. Enjoyed the job - job was outsourced to India after I trained my counterpart. Most enjoyable part was the ability to work from home office.
Pros
Working from Home
Cons
Working many different hours for World Wide Conference Calls
I truly enjoyed working for IBM had the opportunity to work in several departments and gain a great deal of knowledge from co-workers and executives. One of the most enjoyable parts of working at IBM was the opportunity to continue to learn by the classes offered.
I loved working at IBM. I would work there again if I could find the right position that matches my extensive Sales background. I was able to work from home. Great work experience!!
Pros
All Good