IBM
3,9 out of 5 stars.

IBM Employee Reviews in Essex Junction, VT

Like most companies there are pros and cons. Good benefits, but the actual job satisfaction can vary greatly depending on the management you get. Frequent layoffs.
There are some very entrenched ways of doing things at IBM, with attempts at change/improvement sometimes thwarted by middle management who insist that "this is the way we've always done it". Over the past 15-20 year a series of layoffs, shifts in market focus, and selling off of divisions and manufacturing operations have served to greatly hamper morale in some areas, and have impacted worker-bee trust in upper management/leadership. One can debate whether or not the changes were needed and appropriate, in some cases they certainly were, but the "IBM way" of going about it damaged the company in ways that it didn't need to.
Very good place to work for in terms of knowledge, learning, and work life balance. However, salaries, benefits and career advancements are not as good in comparison to other big companies. In summary, if you have options and you know you have potential then choose a more dynamic company.
The manufacturing environment has changed over the years. Originally, it was a competitive, fun, and appreciative workplace. Now, it has become a high stress, lack of talent, and a grinding place to work.
good work life balance, bad management pretty much sums it up. The engineers are decent, the management is pushed to consider only their department's narrow concerns, not the good of the company.
For many years IBM was an excellent place to work. It provided for me and my family so that is all good. As the business climate changed globally, IBM adapted and began the process of outsourcing jobs to low/lower wage countries. Unfortunate and understandable.
Pros
Work Schedule Flexability
Cons
Continual trimming of benifits and salary
The status tells the story. As I came to understand, a long term supplemental is not allowed to stay more than three years or be considered for permanent employment. As no internal options were appearing, I stayed there until I got a job with the State of Vermont Purchasing Department.
Pros
Clear S. O. P. and fair management
Cons
Temporary position
Job at IBM was good while it lasted. When company was sold, it went downhill. Company switched from no punch clocks to having punch clocks. Cameras were put everywhere and your every move was scrutinized.
Corporate did not value the microelectronics team. They shifted their business strategy in favor of software and analytics and attempted to sell off most of the hardware business. Microelectronics got sold to Global Foundries and the quality culture is probably still intact at GF. I do not agree with the corporate strategy and feel it will lead to the demise of the company. I recommend employment at Global Foundries instead. It is hard to continue selling off the company heart and soul and be successful long term. The previous CEO believed that microelectronics was the "heart and soul" of the company.
Pros
Very pro team work environment.
Cons
Corporate strategy.
Compensation and autonomy follow contribution. Numerous opportunities exist for personal development either within a proscribed career track or brand new endeavors.
Pros
Enriched and diverse work environment.
Cons
Cost controls
I spent 3 months on site in Burlington Vermont area and requested to work the next three months at home because of a family situation and the group was completely amenable to my situation. I drove home worked here and sent all of the computers back to Burlington when the project was finished.
Pros
Good group of people.
Cons
The facility needed complete renovation.
Company culture shift away from core manufacturing and sales to consultive engineering and outsourcing of services still not embraced by public investors. Full employment and benefits shift in early 2000’s signaled the beginning of the end of the Old IBM Era, perhaps saving the company at the time? Jettisoning Manufacturing probably distanced the Engineering and Consultive parts of the company too much.
IBM Chip manufacturing located in up state VT. Friendly helpful co-workers serving the local community. Clean air. Recreational opportunities. Now owned by Global Foundries.
Required to stand and work for 12 hours with little to no interaction with other employees. Management has no idea whats actually happening and are cluesless to creating a positive work environment. Not allowed to talk to others, and required to do a the same thing over and over again. I would relate it to making pop corn for 12 hours. -Put the bag in. Wait 3 mins, take the bag out then repeat.
Pros
Good Pay
Cons
No Live, drains you of your soul
30 + year career and have enjoyed the experience, people! Gained various work experiences from basic manufacturing operator, tooling maintenance/install to physical circuit design. A very rewarding career that I am very proud of.
IBM was my dream job. It offered much opportunity for advancement and learning. Unfortunately, big corporations, like IBM tend to replace employees with less expensive younger hires just out of schools or from overseas (immigrants + nonimmigrants). I accepted a 'buy-out' in 1997.
They treated us better than globalfoundries. Raises were stagnant and you were trapped on nights for even longer than with global. Management was a bit better and so was training!
Pros
vacation time
Cons
poor raises, management
My positive experience at IBM is due the people that work there. The company is large and come with the expected corresponding bureaucratic frustrations one would expect. Overall, the work environment was challenging and there was never a dull moment. Flexible work schedule was good. Benefits were good but expensive to the employee. Little to no upward movement and salaries remained essentially flat due to constant budget cuts.
Pros
flexible work schedule
Cons
constant layoffs, stagnant salaries, no potential for upward movement
Have nothing but good things to say at IBM. Excellent opptys to obtain new positions, great pay and benefits, excellent mgt. Company reinvented itself many times, Needs to again refocus on mission and purpose.
I interned at IBM for a summer and worked with a team of mechanical engineers. IBM is an extremely large company and it was not a stressful work environment; engineers had enough work to keep busy, but also enjoyed ample free time.
This was the semiconductor fab plant and it was a good place to work at. We had good people at the time and working there was a good thing as the problems could be challenging to repair and that was a good thing. My upper level manager was kind of a "got there by knowing someone and playing golf with them" type of person but my supervisor was excellent. Clean room environment so it was fun getting dressed everyday to go into but was a solid place.
Pros
Excellent cafeteria, good people, good pay.
Cons
Cold bathrooms, 12 hour days could be long.
  1. Essex Junction, VT