IBM
3,9 out of 5 stars.

IBM Employee Reviews in New York, NY

this job is interesting, an interesting job it is. I do office related work and I like it, could be better though, hopefully can work at this job for longer.
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
Short breaks, healthcare
Generally a good work place. It really depends on what team you work on. Management is too busy to pay attention to your career advancement. Sometimes you feel like you are lost in an ocean
None of what IBM does currently is reminiscent of the company that started a long time ago and became a Fortune 100 powerhouse. IBM lacks a true technology visionary and creative upper management. Although I liked the people, it is about as stuffy and as bureaucratic of an environment as one could imagine. Your boss will treat you well, and among the boots-on-the-ground co-workers, you will find very few 'bad apples' among them. The compensation is pretty good too, as well as the benefits (though the benefits have softened over the years). If you are early in your career, they will probably give you opportunities to advance. However, don't stay at IBM long-term. Rather, use the experience to leverage your career elsewhere. I can tell you as someone who stayed too long: once I became an 'older' worker. I felt that IBM no longer valued me (and I was a well-known subject matter expert in my field). If you stay long enough, expect your chances of being 'resourced' to increase the longer you stay. In my opinion, such resource actions aren't necessarily tied with the performance of the company. They just seem to want 'fresh blood'.
Many large companies don't have job security, this one does and it energizes me to keep moving forward. Tasks are redundant and may be boring for some.
Highlight is the people - everyone is kind, happy to have coffee chats, and help you develop professionally. Very few bad apples in the bunch.Great networking opportunities, senior execs happy to meet and chat, great management overall, top schools, fun culture.
Pros
Cons
Intern pay is low
IBM provided guidance and mentorship in a continuously learning environment that promoted innovation to clients. All projects are different but every project and training, you learn something new.
Pros
Brand
Cons
Pay
IBM was once a great technology company, but not any more. There are constant layoffs and reorgs. Job security is not a thing here. It's just a matter of time before you're RA'd.
A company that has changed a lot over the years but one thing that has never changed is the quality of people. The typical IBMer is intelligent, collaborative and dedicated to both their work and the clients we serve.
everything is great, no compain to work, no work at all, long bench, difficult to find projects, get lucky to find a long term project and stick to it until you are ready to quit
It's hard to imagine a place that puts more value on bettering employees that big blue. They really go the extra mile if there's something you want to learn. Most people don't realize that during lunch hours, if you give the security guy a taco, you can go stand inside the super computers. It makes your hair stand on end. It's best described as peeing on an electric fense that's only on maybe 10 or 11 percent. Total rush. The people are great too. I'd be lying if I said one or two of the senior people didn't enjoy standing in the super computer also! Everyone's always in a good mood. Just don't forget the taco.
Pros
The walk-in-super-computers, health insurance, filtered snack water
Cons
It would be nice if we didn't have to bribe security with tacos, but that's a small price to pay.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at IBM?
Great place to work from day one until now. typical day here is great I have learned several new programs as for management it a blessing workplace Most enjoyable co-worker
Pros
Team work
Cons
No cons
the job had no clear direction from the executives managing the company so we weren't given much guidance. No one had discuss objectives or goals so it was challenging.
Days are very busy and long hours but a sense of purpose is what keeps one energized. The culture is welcoming and at the same time healthy competitiveness among peers. The hardest part of each role was navigating the enormous amount of "blue" tape to get anything done, but at the same time that is what kept me going for so long. Most enjoyable is one feels like they are part of a family - its the people.
Great company. Solid future and growth. Many opportunity to learn and grow. Very large organization and some may easily get loss. Pay scale is relatively low in consulting services. Job security is limited.
Great break rooms when you need a five minute break from work. Very inclusive even though I was just an intern, they did not treat me as if I was beneath them Great variety of free meals, drinks, coffees and teas.
I am very happy to have worked for IBM and build my skills as a project manager and data governance analyst, the compensation was great coming out of college and I was able to get promoted during my time with the company. I don't think the company does well at helping develop professionals into leaders as it's a large bureaucratic organization which requires a lot of self initiative to grow and little mentorship. I'd highly recommend anyone coming out of college join IBM, however don't expect to want to stay for too long.
I worked there a long time in a sales role. Over time IBM would reduce, on progressive basis, the commission payouts for sales achievement. By the end of my tenure. the commission plan was really in a bad place. Sales people, by nature, are self paying people. When it reaches a point that you can't make a great living based on your extreme success, it's time to look elsewhere.
Pros
good diversity mind set, 401K matches, career advancement potential
Cons
anti-sales comp plans, really expensive medical benefits
Ask for transparency at the start which team you will join. Because after year two, you can transfer to another team or product that aligns to your interest.
Consulting is a good place for someone who is new in the workforce and isn't aware of exactly what they may want to do. I don't see it as a viable long term career.
If you can manage your own territory with little guidance and perform it is the best place in the world. You can make a ton of money as well. Great connections.
Really good opportunity. They provide with a lot of benefits. The interview process start on the phone, and a second interview in person. They are great people, great company.