IBM
3,9 out of 5 stars.

IBM Employee Reviews in Poughkeepsie, NY

Sick time and family emergency time off is a great benefit. The company provides drinks and snakes which are a big savings. You get three weeks of vacation from day one.
Pros
Free snacks.
Cons
Health plans.
Love having good work and people who enjoy communicating at there bet level to get the job done. Great communication is the key to everything at that I say humbly
Learning never ends so long as you stay motivated. Everyday you're presented with new and exciting challenges. While work is largely team oriented an elevated level of individual troubleshooting capabilities is necessary to be successful.
Free snacks, friendly people and awesome supervisor. busy sometimes and chill sometimes. big space. they priorities your safety above all. flexible shift.
Pros
Free snacks
Cons
contractual
This company has no job security. Their mgmt model is to layoff employees to pad executive bonus pay and then transfer the workload to remaining employees. This contributes to burnout with no consideration for work-life balance.
Pros
Remote work
Cons
No Bonuses for regular employees. All bonuses go to upper management
IBM has a multitude of options for defining your own career. Airways offering the option of moving to be roles/challenges. They provide a multitude of ways to learn and educate yourself in a variety of areas. The downsides are more limited to being a massive company. There's always multiple levels of corporate red tape to get things changed. The physical sites are on the older side lacking many modern amenities of newer tech companies
Pros
Career mobility, learning opportunities
Cons
Facilities are stuck in the 80s
I was hired to be a test tech, stress testing their Z Mainframes. It was a lie, I was thrown into Assembly pulling ethernet and ram cards out of their books. I was terminated for "refusing to work", which is a total lie, they don't enough work to go around and employees are talking about furloughs.
Pros
On site cafeteria cooks healthy food
Cons
lied about the job, fired when they didn't have any work
I'm a Latina of color working in hardware development who was pleasantly surprised to find my project leads being Latinos and women. We work with people all over the world, and so many people want to offer mentorship whether it be to their professional peers or interns. There are so many WebEx events like chair yoga, identity-based events, professional/skill development meetings, you name it. It's absolutely great. The only complaint I have is administrative, being that the interns are experiencing delays in receiving our physical checks/having direct deposit implemented, but that doesn't speak on IBM's supply chain engineering awesome environment. I also get paid pretty well for an intern :-)
Pros
DoorDash DashPass + $90 in giftcards, workplace culture, representation of women and BIPOC, so many opportunities to learn and expand your network
Cons
payroll
The company itself is good enough as it is in the z/TPF department area. The teams are very versatile and there is a lot of flexibility. I would recommend developers out of college apply for the z/TPF area as they are currently innovating to newer technologies (Docker, Rest, MongoDB, etc).
Company treats employees well. And there are many opportunities of getting further within the company. Management trains new employees efficiently and well paced.
very interactive with global team. Flexible work hours, Utilization of leadership and teamwork skills. Very supportive team members. Lots of opportunities for advancement.
Enjoyed working from home - have worked for IBM as a regular employee for 36 years then as a contractor for the last 3 years - know the process and their applications and keeping updated on all new applications
IBM used to be a company with a clear vision and purpose. Respect for the individual, quality and the pursuit of excellence at the heart of our core values, they were once the essence of our DNA. No longer! In today's IBM it's unclear what the core values of the company are. With today's "strategic imperatives" there is no clear communication from our executives to the workforce. In the US IBM is NOT a growth industry, we continue shrinking as more and more of the jobs are being outsourced overseas. Commitment towards customer satisfaction, quality and field service has fallen by the wayside. Management decisions are not being made with a focus on product quality, rather to appease continually escalating demands to reduce cost. In short, IBM has lost its soul.
Good work if you can stand the turnover and the insecurity of the new culture of this company. New jobs are not permanent. Layoffs are quickly replaced with new hires at a much cheaper employment rate with less experience to handle critical customer incidents. Planning and execution of projects tend to be well off track of customer expectations and often run late and well behind schedules service dates.
Worked for IBM just shy of 20 years as a regular employee. Worked normal business hours but also on weekend on off shift change windows in the middle of the night and 24x7 on call support. When I started with IBM my department had a lot of members that supported their own external accounts. Over the years we automated manual tasks and people retired or moved on to different roles. Department head count shrunk over the years causing remaining members to pick up the workload. Older members who could retired did. The department then received new members from Brazil, India, and China. Was required to train the new member. After many months of training and documenting every thing for my duties I was told I was no longer needed.
It is a struggle to do the most basic of tasks anymore since everything is cobbled together and there is no support. You do not get the needed hardware or time to complete any task, and i mean, complete it.
I have enjoyed the various professional opportunities I have been given throughout my career. The most enjoyable part of the job are the people, the collaboration and professionalism is what makes each day work. Employees strive for a better way, faster, easier, more precise way of designing and thinking about the task at hand, that is what sets an IBMer aside from everyone else. Great place to work.
They work with you until you are successful continuesly. enjoyed the culture of ibm. Technology is at its best. I recommend IBM employer to anyone who wants to develope there talent in technology.
I learned alot while there, but generally had a poor relations with co workers. They helped only when is was convent for them. management wasn't very fair. very bias to different people. It felt like I was treated as a child.
I would rather keep my experience to myself. I had a good when first starting there,but in the end the company has gone downhill. They wanted you to learn all areas but weren't willing to pay for each area you were certified in.
The company seems to chase fads and downsizing, while leaving their employees to pick up the pieces and guess what skills might be required in the future.
  1. Poughkeepsie, NY