IBM
3,9 out of 5 stars.

IBM Employee Reviews in Raleigh-Durham, NC

Management is too focused on loyalty to the company - any discussion of promotion/advancement/career path planning is deemed as signs of disloyalty to management. Thoroughly OK place to work.
Pros
Great benefits, decent pay
Cons
Overly complex/layered mgmt structure
I had a great time working at IBM. This was my first IT job and they gave you a chance to move up in the company if you had initiative until later in my career there. I work this job right after finishing up with ECPI Technical college. My manager hired me full time after working almost three years contract after finishing my diploma at ECPI. My manger at the time was military and we had somethings in common and he gave me a shot to learn training, business consultant and technical support. I had a great time until my new manager came along that was green and held me back after I finished my undergraduate degree. Of course race played a major part in it because he believed in his race advancing and not the other color. I spent 8 years of my life here and the compensation was OK, but the vast technical experience made up for it later in my career, because if you could work for IBM you could work for anyone back then.
Pros
stable job, mentor program, name recognition, employee discount, benefits
Cons
I been fired, moved or relocated, layoffs during holidays, mediocre pay, glass ceiling, politics ( Who you know not what you know when trying to move up) Good old boys network
Great Company, great people, great culture. how wonderful! Come work for IBM! Great Benefits, great access to develop business acumen. Good Leadership.
Nice work life balance,Job satisfaction,was great to learn new things ,gave opportunity to create new reports for the leadership.also gave opportunity to create new frameworks
Excellent company to work for. Work life balance. Promote within. Conveniently location in RTP NC. Team environment and great working conditions. Great place to work
I'm enjoying my time at IBM, as this is my first time in a job of this caliber and learning a lot about the ins and outs of this type of environment or industry. It is a great place to get started and possibly stay if you find out what works best for you.
Working at IBM was a pleasure thanks to the flexible work timings and great management that made sure the employees weren't overworked. The open space environment was quite conducive to learning and everyone was approachable for doubts and support. The office itself was in an amazing location and the building was beautiful with glass windows and great setups for everybody to work on. There was a gym, recreational center and many other facilities for people to avail outside of work. They have great restaurants nearby and a Starbucks within the campus.
IBM is by and large a very good company. IBM started sliding from "great" to "good" during Sam Palmisano's latter years at the helm, when leadership seemed obsessed with demonstrating profitability through cost savings by greatly curtailing the march to innovation. I was a product manager at that time and witnessed the preference of acquisition over organic innovation, to reduce risks and, perhaps, to mitigate the impact of the inertia that sets in when people get "a little too comfortable" about their position in the organization and their organization's position in the market... Over the past two years, I am seeing more invigoration, organizational agility and investment in the pursuit of innovation. The current leadership, under Ginny Rommety, seems to be true to their message. It takes a while to turn a battleship, but battleships can certainly be turned. When I joined the company, my favorite aspect was the opportunity to take on new and challenging roles. This enabled me to grow as a professional at an accelerated rate and gain work experience in a enough capacities that I was once told that my resume was "all over the place". Okay, that may have been a not-so-greatly written resume on my part. The point is that the environment at IBM enabled me to stretch and become more well-rounded than I believe would have been the case in most other environments. The downside is that I still run into some of the behaviors that, IMO, result when some people are seeking comfort and job security without a focus on COMPETING. This is not indicative of the company and culture, overall; - more...
Pros
Reinvigorated culture of innovation
Cons
Some inertia remains from those who are "set in their ways"
Most in the TA org have been at IBM for 20 years + and are completely out of touch with how TA has evolved. Workforce planning is totally disconnected from Talent Acquisition resulting in incorrect coding and accuracy of employee skills.
My time at IBM has its ups and downs. I worked for Seterus which is within IBM. There were times where working is great, good atmosphere, flexible, and as long as you're working everything is good. But there are times where there is micro-management, pressure, and hard to work with. Then again, I'm sure every workplace has its ups and downs.
This organization is incredibly large therefore departments are silos. I was fortunate to have an excellent account manager but a dis-engaged direct manger. My training was looking at powerpoint slides then sitting with a "mentor" one hour a day. I would ask the same question of 3-4 people and get all different answers. Weak and ineffective team lead, lack of training, and inconsistent messages all caused me to leave the company.
I have learned how to be more agile. My current management is people centric. The workplace culture is always reinventing and becoming more automated. The hardest part of the job is an every changing work culture.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Few raises and low bonuses
IBM has a great reputation but living off past. One great advantage is the benefits package IBM offers. Has many opportunities for developing individual skills.
Pros
Benefits Package
Cons
Working at IBM was a great experience and gave me an opportunity at a career through training. It was my first opportunity at working at big corporate.
Pros
worked with a great team in software
Cons
no real cons
IBM, once a great innovator, has transitioned to a services company and is too focused on making a quarterly profit rather than on long term R&D and technological innovation.
The particular manger that I had a very different attitude. Some says was good and some bad... It can make you not want to come to work.. I also experienced favoritism. If you were not kissing up to people, you would not be able to move forward to another dept.
Pros
Meeting good people..
Cons
Favoritism
management changed frequently. They do not hire within the company they hire outside. Management changes polices . pay rate decreased but the benefits were amazing.
Making sure all warehouse orders where ship correctly and all orders that were receive were correct answering phone to direct customers to correct department.
Pros
Great work hours
Cons
Travel
Poor management. The atmosphere was stressful. Did not promote a lot of employees. Long hours with mandatory overtime. Would not go back to this company.
Pros
You learn alot
Cons
Underpaid
100 or more calls a lot of changes take place hardest part is your not able to help every one .. the ability to help customers stay in thee home the management is great
Depending on what management team you work with makes a big difference on your ability to perform. Typical day was 8am - 5pm Learned that IBM was changing it's way of doing business. Workplace could be tough at times. Being in the hardware business you were always looking over your shoulder with possible lay-offs. Hardest part, to many layers of management. Enjoyable, benefits were good and time off was very nice.
  1. Raleigh-Durham, NC