IBM
3,9 out of 5 stars.

IBM Employee Reviews in Remote

Multiple opportunities for career advancement or changes. You can receive training in different areas and then apply for different roles. With management assistance you can transition into a new career.
Pros
Remote work
Cons
Frequent Resource Actions
Not a pleasant place to work. Constant downsizing. Was more focus on not growing their US team. I wouldn't recommend IBM to any new college kid that I mentor
Good place to work nice team big pool of skilled peopleManagement is clear on vision. Many account with variety of work and growth opportunities. Follows process and policy
It depends on your team but in my experience there has been the constant threat of layoffs and that is used to motivate employees to work more and not complain or you could be next.
Pros
Work from home through COVID
Benefits and pay were great and overall, the culture wasn't bad. Some bad managers just spoiled it for me. Work-Life balance was advertised, however not followed completely through. overall, I liked to work for them.
Pros
pay and benefits
Cons
overtime, managers who didn't know me
This is an alright place to work if you're extremely proactive with networking and your job/career. You need to be okay with changing roles and departments freqeuntly. There are major shifts in company org structure every quarter, which reminds me of shifting chairs on the Titanic. You make your own job security here with the connections you make. I don't recommend for people looking for any measure of consistency or reliability in their employment status.
Pros
Tons of learning opportunities available, set your own hours more or less, and lots of independence.
Cons
No job security, Layoffs every quarter, Your survival at IBM is contingent on making friends with the right people.
IBM used to be a great company, with a strong sense of pride in the quality of products and services they provided. Now, IBM behaves like a desperate start-up, begging for crumbs and willing to lower itself to attempt to compete with the low-price/low-quality competitors.. and failing miserably.If you work at IBM, especially in the services division, you'll be constantly under the threat of layoff, with your job either being eliminated all together or shipped overseas. If you are unlucky enough to survive the latest round of job eliminations, you'll be faced with trying to meet contract obligations with limited resources that are either taking on roles they've never done before with no training, or you'll be expected to step up and take on additional roles for the same compensation. There may be divisions within IBM that aren't cesspools, but the Services division isn't one of them. If you have no other choice, take the job, but plan to keep looking for better opportunities. Trust me, your best day at IBM will be 1000 times worse than your worst day anywhere else!
Pros
It's better than losing your house to foreclosure
Cons
Constant layoffs, expensive healthcare benefits, no tuition benefits, limited advancement opportunities
As s part of IBM India software lab , excellent work culture. Competitive products to work on, many learning avenues. Lots of senior talented people around to work with and collaborate.
Pros
Already mentioned, nothing more to add.
Cons
You need to network a lot to go higher up in ladder. Not best in salary as per industry standards.
Do your job well and you will learn and enjoy how to solve many problems and issues. Very busy day to day but many opportunities to grow if you take them
Pros
Much to learn and plenty of training
Cons
Big company with many departments
Watch out for the cut that happens 2x a year and is based on your pay and not your performance. Upper management is often brutal with unrealistic goals.
Pros
Work at home
Cons
Terrible culture in upper management
I like my job and the team I am on is great. The conpany tends to be a little grandious when sometimes a simple answer will do. Secret To sucess at IBM is to take initiative.
Pros
Cutting edge, good people
Cons
Bureaucratic at times
I enjoyed learning from both IBM and the client. It was a stressful place to work but I thoroughly enjoyed the tasks, people and the overall opportunity.
Pros
Great structure.
Cons
Stressful.
awesome job, but too much work to keep up with. Annual training expected, but hard to keep up with because of the work load. 2 additional roles were added to my workload. Great opportunity to learn but little personal time left in the days.
Pros
work your own schedule
Hi stress work environment with Quarterly 7x24 on-call pager duty...worked 36 hours straight At one point in time.Global outsourcing agreement for a major manufacturing company.
Pros
Lots of positive people to work with
Cons
Lot of annual head cuts for USA based people.
IBM is big, but you can find small teams that are stable, well-run, and fun to work in. Immediate and upper management control much of the culture, so teams can vary widely in dynamics.
iBM was the worst company I ever worked for in my IT career.They're no raises or bonuses despite that the CEO is one of the highest paid CEOs in the world. The teams I worked on or with are severely understaffed. Upper management does not care about their employees and seem to have no real idea whats going on with the company. I spent 90% of my time with meetings and change approvals and only 5% of my time doing actual work. I had no real support and felt like I was thrown to the wolves. The tools and products were sub-par.Worst of all they do layoffs and forced furloughs every quarter.
Pros
IBM looks good on a resume.
Cons
Everything else
IBM I was hired as a contractor. They have cut my salary by 25% in April 2020, and now they are requiring I take furlough. They only worry about the stock holders and bottom dollarOffer no training
IBM Is a very large company with little or no processes documented. You have to be self relient and figure out things on your own but not step on the toes of your management when doing this. The biggest challenge comes when you are measured on success by your billable hours while you aren't in control of what is sold or the projects you are put on. You have to step outside of the box, try to sell yourself to your manager, and then find your own projects to try to keep your success as an consultant.
Pros
Work From Home
Cons
The every changing landscape of a big company, little communications, and no real definition of success.
I was with IBM for 20+ years. In those years I had many different Project Manager Roles in many different organizations. In my early days I worked onsite, but for the last 19 I worked remote. This created huge flexibility options, but also left me out on my own deserted island. I focused on my job and client success, but sacrificed my career by not learning as much as I could. There was little time for training, and over the years more was expected of me. As a result, education had to take a back seat. Over the past 10 years IBM has changed (or at least my perception), to less concerned about the employee and more on revenue. I know IBM needs to be competitive, but its unfortunate it has to be at the expense of the employee.
Pros
flexible work-life balancing
Cons
Remote isolation
Worked there six years. Horrible HR on-boarding experience. Very depressing work environment. No raises or bonus' despite year after year 2+ performance rating. Inept and uncaring Management. Must do 40 hours of learning on your own time and money (THINK40). IBM does not provide 401K match in your first year of employment. Then match is given last paycheck of the current year so you miss stock market up swings during the year. If you get RA'd (laid off) in November, no 401K match for that year. Everybody was always worried about layoffs to boost profits. Upper management way over compensated despite company's poor performance year after year. Department goals are never met so no bonus' for high performing workers. Very expensive health care with sky high deductibles.Happiest day of my professional career was when I gave my notice! Never looked back. For some reason it still looks good to have IBM work experience on your Resume.
Pros
Work remote
Cons
Everything else
Bureaucracy, no room for advancement. IBM spends a lot of time talking about employee engagement and how important people are, but lays people off on a quarterly basis while "restructuring" and naming new executives. It is an iconic company, if you work here don't plan on staying