IBM
3,9 out of 5 stars.

IBM Employee Reviews in St. Louis, MO

Change is everywhere and with the recent acquisition of Red Hat, there are changes in strategy and this is a great thing for IBM. Recent changes due in part to this strategy have made IBM a transitioning company.
No raises. Terrible pay. Then comes the layoffs. Stay away. If you go on disability for any time you will be laid off. Management is weak and this IT company is behind The industry standard. If your company gets bought out by IBM plan on IBM running it into the ground and you will either be sold off to another company or laid off. Don’t apply here!!!! Too bad I can’t give 0 stars IBM doesn’t deserve a 1 star!!
Pros
Start from home
Cons
On call 24/7/365. They think of you as a robot
I've worked for and with other large consulting firms. IBM seems to be on par with others when it comes to benefits, work/life balance, etc. I have found my colleagues to all be very open to helping new team members to get acclimated, and willing to help out when you have questions, whether they be company or project-related. I've been here a year now, and am happy I decided to join them.
Pros
Great people, smart and collaborative, adapt to clients culture
Cons
Nothing too bad; it takes a year for 401K match to kick in
It appears that the new way of IBM is the Supplemental Employee. Hire them for certain contracts without the possibility to advance or get a pay raise. I am a current regular full time employee that was placed on a project with all supplemental employees and their rhetoric has been that of no chance for a raise. Not only have I never received a pay raise in my four years, I was let go in the last round of layoffs. (Resource Action)
IBM offered opportunities for Cloud, Agile and many other growth opportunities. I never had two days the same. I worked with great teams who worked together to accomplish end goals. Enjoyed opportunities for great training and learning opportunities. Strong IBM Culture and as an employee you represented the whole company. Vendor teams were exceptional. Company transition was always on the horizon. Good tools provided to accomplish your job and lots of very good benefits.
Benefits
Cons
Job uncertainty
Kept trying to squeeze more and more work out of everyone when we were already short handed. Constantly changing their minds on how things should be done.
At the time I worked for IBM, they would re-organize every 6 months, managers would be changed every 6 months, which resulted in th work that I had been working on for the past 6 months usually being discarded. When they started shipping all of our work to other companies, it became very clear that my job would be eliminated. 6 months after I left, I found that out entire department had been "Global Resourced" meaning all jobs had been removed from the U.S. to out of country. Also young college resources were paired with us so that we could teach them our jobs, it was made clear that they were being groomed to take over our jobs by management.
Pros
good pay, good benefits
Cons
no job security at all
Best Company I ever worked for in my career. Best training in the industry, great quality employees, great benefits and compensation. Has been long time since I worked for this company, but I can say of all the companies I worked for, IBM was the best.
Must be willing to work a lot of overtime. You need to be available for travel. You should be willing to give up some family time. Work and train people from other countries.
Fast paced organization that required a mastery of industry and organizational acronyms. Required many of hours of studying to get up to speed. However, the work and results were very rewarding.
Pros
rewarding work
Cons
Dramatic change occurring at IBM. While there is more emphasis on innovative technology, there is decreasing emphasis on forming relationships with clients. If you instinctively build relationships with clients, IBM is not the place for you, as relationships have been de-emphasized in favor of technology and products. Nor will you be in your role long enough for clients to trust you.
Pros
Truly innovative technology.
Cons
Habitual lack of commitment to customer relationships
My time with IBM was fantastic for learning new concepts and tools. I spend time with many interesting people at many interesting locations. I would recommend this job to others that are interested in traveling frequently to 100% of the time. The opportunity for advancement is definitely there as long as you know how to look or who to talk to.
Pros
Wonderful benefits, great culture, great people, endless training opportunities
Cons
extensive travel, constantly applying to new positions to stay in work.
IBM has always been a company to be proud to work for. That is no longer the case. Although there are many, many tools and things out there for learning and growing your skills, it's because there are SO MANY things, there is no clear direction sometimes. The job culture has changed significantly because of the continual outsourcing of US jobs. Sometimes, 90% of your team that you may work with is in another country. Sad part is the lay offs happen constantly to the US teams. Which typically are the main support. The people on your immediate team are what make it worth the long hours and packed on work. You definitely are able to learn and from experiencing (doing the work) and from collaborating with the people on your team.
IBM places me onsite at customer locations. I am currently at Thomsonreuters offices in St. Louis. Thomsonreuters is a global news and financial information company. Coworkers are very nice, and come here from all parts of the globe.
There were many hours spent doing research with what seemed like a like amount of time. I appreciate all the skills that I will take forward into my career.
executives are directed to move jobs to off shore countries. Some areas are hit harder than other, but all in all the presence in the U. S. is decreasing.
Pros
there are still some great people at IBM
Cons
Benefits / perks have been reduced over the years
I was laid off after almost 3 decades, following the best year of my career. Mostly it was a great run. The company seems to be on a youth movement. I worked with top notch people who were extremely professional. Much less politics and drama than at most employers. Lots of flexibility with work-at-home and little in the way of micromanagement. There are way too many reorganizations which have a tendency to really infuriate clients and have employees flying all over the country when they could be covering clients in their own geography.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Too many poorly thought-out reorganizations
Lay offs, Layoffs, and more Layoffs. This happens every quarter year after year. Most also make sure you have an account to charge your time to. Forced overtime. If you didn't make 45 hours a week average then you don't have enough work. Time to review your workload and see if you're eligible for work force re-balancing(laid off).
Cons
Good company to work for. Learned operations management in a cross functional organization. Great teammates to work with and a great client to work for.
Work hard and don't expect any rewards or loyalty. All US jobs are moving off shore and haven't increased revenue in the last 15 quarters
Managed a large group of employees in four separate datacenters “around 145”. Daily task to include the HR duties for employees, scheduling, and balancing of operations for Midrange, Network and Mainframe. Constantly involved with insourcing, outsourcing and liaison between IBM and Clients.
Pros
Recognition for jobs well done were plentiful
Cons
Long hours "7x24" and duties extensive