IBM
3,9 out of 5 stars.

IBM Employee Reviews in Washington, DC

I enjoy working with employees who are passionate about what they do and the people they serve! I have had some bad interactions with rude people but not too many. Teammates are interested in your growth and success.
My company was acquired by IBM. After two years, there were only three people left that I worked with in the previous company. This is company run by ACCOUNTANTS and LEGAL. If it cost money to make your work life any easier, you would NEVER get it. Hours of endless training kicked out by legal and management -THEY NEVER FOLLOWED. I was lucky to find a team with a good middle manager that knew the company and the in's and out's to help make it tolerable. When I knew things were on the decline when we had to FLY COACH from Dallas to Sydney Australia 17 hours and 50minutes each way. Hotels and per Diem rates hardly made it possible to owe thousand dollars every single trip. Once a company is acquired the clock is ticking. Within five years the company will no longer exist, internal and external customers will be reduced to a few and only multi-million dollar sales teams will exist. Get to be a strong middle manager before you're fifty or you will be let go, laid off, down sized. This is no longer a tech company. Horrible demands on individuals, racism, sexist, more exists beyond their many corporate initiatives to look good in the public eye. Never seen a company so missed managed by a CEO who lost money for nearly 25 quarters. Who does that and keeps their job.
Pros
Traveled the world, worked with a good team, did some things I would have never done otherwise.
Cons
Healthcare plan is super expensive for terrible coverage, that will be denied every time you make a claim!
Burnout burnout burnout. If you don’t set boundaries you won’t have a life. IBM is a great place for innovation as long as you’re on the right team. People are great, the lack of organizational transparency is the problem.
Pros
Learning certificates
Cons
Nonexistent work life balance
I was fortunate to have a really amazing team and career managers who truly care about your path for growth and exposure. I left the organization because I wanted the same work/life balance I had working for the state agencies. Hindsight is always 20/20 - Had I known, I would have stayed at IBM.
I loved working for this company. They offered a clear career development plan.They would periodically meet with me to make sure they are matching to responsibilities based on my current goals.
IBM is a great place to work if you are looking for a challenge. You have the opportunity to learn gain knowledge and develop many new skills. The hardest part of the working for IBM is due to the large size of the company and lack of transparency in annual reviews. At times you just feel like a number and you are rewarded more for who you know rather than what you know or how you deliver on projects.
I've enjoyed my time at IBM, and have worked with tons of smart, driven people. Being such a large company it can be difficult for some to navigate, but with the right mentor(s) you are given lots of potential. Lots of resources to expand your education and "toolbox," but you have to be a go-getter to capitalize on these resources. I envisioned myself to stay for 2-3 years and then move on, but have stayed for 6+ because I have found so many fun exciting projects to work on. I've found that networking is key to finding the cool work
IBM has been trying to recruit me for over 10 years This rating was value added. Overall work experience is positive. Enables one to express themselves and contribute to corporate success
Pros
Provided opportuinty to use my skills to improve IBM's profit and revenue
Cons
Takes time for culture change to implement new ideas
During this time of the Corona Virus, IBM on my project has drug their feet to protect employees and contractor. I know this is a complex thing since it involve contractual travel. I would like to see IBM side with the safety of their employees and contractors instead of riding the fence.
The IBM workplace satisfaction depends upon whether you are placed in Global Business Services, Global Technology Services, or Software Group. The post-sales delivery/services side of IBM which is GBS or GTS is stable and does not encounter much in the way of change. The SWG side of IBM is unstable and is constantly changing. If stability and upward mobility is your thing, do your research before entering. It has been said IBM is a great place to start but you may stay long term.
IBM goes through constant change and reinvention. You never know if you'll be positively or negatively affected. They can do anything, but the hierarchical control of executive leadership causes lag down at the customer touch point. Customers must often adjust to IBM and not the other way around.
Impressive as the name sounds, IBM is taking advantage of its newly graduated college students. The environment (public sector) can be tense. Head down do your work type of environment, higher up managers are not willing to risk their positions for the sake of the younger groups of consultants. They put on a great front and face when recruiting during job fairs and then completely different aura when on job sites. Don't be fooled by the charade.
IBM may do some interesting work, but you likely wont see it. You will find yourself in a vertical pillar and unable to interact with other pillars. You will find endless layers of management and almost no technologists or engineers. Be prepared for a toxic management environment.
I learned that it's important to seek opportunities for yourself every six months to keep your career growing. I found it difficult to find opportunities to advance without specific technical expertise, everything happens by networking.
IBM is perfect for the young professional, attempting to begin their career in a fast paced environment. The benefits were exceptional and the 401k/Stock Option is among the best!
After knowledge transfer they laid us off and outsourced it to call center in India. Then they transferred us to another msp company to support the clients and they started to lay off people
IBM's myriad customers and essential projects mean that you can quickly experience the most exciting phases of many customers' IT projects and programs. If you like to travel and to be customer-facing, you can make countless friends here. You'll learn to apply your personal social skills to the latest technology, often helping transform enterprises that by themselves could not adopt emerging IT technology.
Pros
Build marketable experience in the tough global labor market, Be motivated to constantly re-invent yourself, Bring value to each customer, Well-defined corporate ethical policies help employees stand on high moral ground
Cons
Stock buybacks amid declining revenue appear to represent disinvestment, an unwinding of business that IBMers have worked so hard to build.
Management changes like the weather. Their business practices are very unpredictable. A lot of lay-off so job security is not there. IBM will let you work remote, but I think it depends on the manager you support. Just keep in mind, this company is not about employees, it is soley about the shareholders.
Pros
Good Work life balance/benefits
Cons
Lack of job security
IBM stands for I've Been Moved. The people are great, but the management is some of the best I've had and some of the worst. It's a gamble as to what your management will be like.
Everything we did was highly productive as well as effective. Work day consisted of daily meeting to ensure everyone was on the same page and goals where being met. Worked 9-5.
Brand name is good for a start of work, but it's losing impact. Overall, life and work balance is good. But if you are willing to grow up faster, and feel the company is investing on you... honestly, not a good place.
Pros
Work from home
Cons
You are a worker/number, can have support for investment on your own career path