IBM
3,9 out of 5 stars.

IBM Employee Reviews in Yorktown Heights, NY

Productive and fun work place.Good atmosphere and culture.Few options to work remote.There are games like tennis,ping pong,volley ball etc and refreshments available.
Pros
Free coffee and snacks
Cons
short breaks
IBM is a very dysfunctional organization. I would not encourage you to apply or work there unless you value process over productivity, posturing over transparency, and bureaucracy over technology.
Pros
Flex time means you can work any 24 hours a day you choose
Cons
Everything is an emergency, endless meetings disguised as Agile
It's not clear what IBM's actual business is, and there's no communication about it from headquarters. IBM has been losing money every year for almost 10 years. They are stingy with raises, but keep giving the executives large bonuses for losing money. IBM has moved lots of the technical work to Asia: the skills there are much worse than in the USA, but the people are cheap. IBM has been downplaying its major strengths, and trying to compete in areas where they've been historically poor. Their TV commercials are a joke. I'm not sure what they're advertising. A once great company now operating in the mud because of incompetent management.
Been working in Yorktown. Pretty great environment, nice intern integration to the company. Nice mentorship and projects to be developed. Got job offer at the end, but wasn't able to accept due to visa issues.
Pros
Location, culture, problems being solved
Cons
A bit far from NYC
Working at Yorktown Heights branch was the best experience of my corporate life. The problem was very challenging and required multiple innovations. The team was very supportive of all drastic changes that were suggested to solve the problem. Almost no negative!
Many years ago, IBM valued its employees for their years of Loyalty. Now, the cost of labor is so important to IBM, that it has laid off ("Resource Action") many experienced US employees with 20+ years of experience. Instead, they are either outsourcing the services to staff in Asian countries for a lower labor cost, or bringing the low-cost labor to the US to replace the more-expensive but knowledgeable employees that they laid off.
Pros
Interesting Job (while you have it)
Cons
High Probability of Being Laid Off if you are there too many years.
In 1974 IBM was a fertile environment for a young college graduate that had a technical bent; there were seemingly endless exposures to component parts whose availability stimulated thought & imagination that were fertile soil for innovative ideas & invention. The chemical projects I worked on daily were equally enjoyable & educational. I cannot recall a hard part of the job.
Pros
Techie heaven environment in the 70's
Cons
Long drive from NYC
high powered academic-style research ranging from fundamental physics of materials to leading IT system design, hardware, and applications. Culture is collegial but intense with a strong focus on individual contribution. The nature of the job is research and innovation so the hardest part and most enjoyable part are creating new understanding and applied innovations.
Some of the friendliest people I have ever been able to meet. The atmosphere was very welcoming and everyone encouraged each other to ask questions and do research.
The company culture was very relaxed. You get to work with new technologies instead of using legacy code. Manager was very nice, and team was very nice to work with.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at IBM?
Great work life balance. Dedicated people who are happy to be there. Supportive management. Opportunity to work from home a few days a week. They work on exciting technologies that are changing the world.
As a n intern, I had quite a good relationship with my mentor and my manager. I was assigned a project to be completed during my stay at the company. I had a good support from everyone in the group.
IBM Research is a very creative and enjoyable place, and is one of the best industrial R & D labs in US. Management encourages learning and diversification. Management permits several work life balance opportunities.
Pros
freedom to pursue research
Cons
offices generally do not have windows
My first 20 years were wonderful. I loved my work. Got several promotions including a management position. Worked on leading edge projects. The last 6 years saw a big change in management philosophy. Job security became a big issue with several layoffs.
Lots of learning opportunities and growth opportunities. Connect strongly with the business needs. Have cutting edge research. Overall a great place to work
It's a really disaster for IBM time. The management is really bad for employee. The only pro which IBM has is the work life balance. Most of time you can work remotely.
Extraordinary campus, research center, teams, labs. No negatives. Very supportive, mgt, teams, and professionals assisting across professional disciplines at all times.
IBM TJ Watson Research Center in Yorktown Heights, NY is a great place to work. It has state-of-the art facilities, and very nice people to collaborate around you all the time.
Good facilities, comfortable culture of scientific achievements,, helpful management, many science challenges every day, decreasing number of direct hires.
Great people, but culture struggles with executing products into the market; Great environment for technology innovation and collaborative idea sharing.
Positive and inclusive work environment. Huge investments are made focused on driving diversity and inclusion; opportunities to develop skills and networking.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Too many competitive priorities
  1. Yorktown Heights, NY