IBM

IBM Employee Reviews

South Africa183 reviews

3,9Work-Life Balance

Found 183 reviews matching the searchSee all 31 952 reviews

Productive, but can be stressful

A typical day has you interfacing with clients. Clients generally think highly of IBM consultants, and therefore expect a lot of them, but that's a good thing. I learned that delivering for the client is the most important thing; and often collaborated with colleges to deliver solutions. I noticed the clients did not care whether I collaborated or not; they just wanted the job done. Every project in software engineering has times when you work through the night because you are chasing some deadline, or trying to make something work that has held up progress for some time. It will happen usually during deployments, but it does not last long. those times call for real dedication, but after that you go back to regular hours. The best part is that as a consultant you are always working on a "new project" at a "new client", and so you have "new experience" which often feels like a "new job" even though you're still at your "old job".

Pros

Always work with cutting edge technologies

Cons

Job security is very low if you are deemed "average", Sometimes forced to do projects in foreign countries

A bunch of liers.

They are so unprofessional they need to be educated about good work ethics and PII because they are good in invading people's privacy because they think they can do whatever they want.

Pros

Na

Cons

Yes even at

Awful, red tape

Too much red tape, limited growth. No leadership in services . Clock watching. IBM Partners deliver a better device than IBM . In competition with partners

Empresa agradável de se trabalhar

Empresa com boa cultura, mas um tanto quanto desorganizada em relação a contratação de empregados e efetivação de estagiários.

the most enjoyable job

The Hull branch has a really supportive team and is a genuine nice place to work. I was new to this sector when I started with the Work Company and at the time I started I received all the support and guidance to help myself develop into a stronger adviser.

Pros

Free lunch

Very poor experience

Bossy and stressful, some people made one feel like to afraid to ask as one was made to feel stupid and the person responsible was a normal worker with a chip on his shoulder as he though he knew it all.

Pros

Cons

Bad salary and no one cares about the workers at Johannesburg IBM Cresta

It would have been a good working enviroment if i had a fare manager, who is more of a mentor kind of manager.

As a candidate that walked in the company with no kind of background in Procurement it is a grate position to be in, but also needed proper training to arm me for the future ahead in the company, the culture of the company was a bit to stiff coming from a more friendlier enviroment .The hard part for me was to learn everything that was so confidential (contract and dealing with different commodities)The more enjoyable part was when i had a task from my boss to do, and managed to do with no help, also submitting my work in time.

Great place to grow your career

Loads of live and in house training available for the advancement of your skills. Being a global company exposure to the latest market trends. travel to sales academy's overseas paid by company.

Pros

Training

Cons

Corporate method of promotions very slow

Unpredictable daily workdays.

A new environment is more challenging, while you're at it you want to move, there's bottleneck on Managers not allowing you to grow and keeping you stagnant on the same role for their benefit. As an individual you need to understand that you're there to serve at the same time not neglecting your growth and aspirations.

Pros

Cons

Long hours, working outside your prescribed normal hours, taking more responsibilities than what anticipated.

Company that promotes innovation

IBM is a company that helps employees develope their skill, so employees can stay relevant in a competative global market. At IBM employees are encouraged to become innovators and pioneers to drive the 4th industrial revolution.

EE supported

Leads and Managers have no time for people to try get themselves back on track.. they very EE orientated and really don't care about the consultants on contract.

Cons

long hours, bad attitude, little team work.

It is a great company to work for.

I learned a lot and grew in the company. I started my recruitment path there and I was offered opportunities to explore and learn in my position. I had a great team support and we worked well as a team.

Work-Life Flexibility

IBM has a great, flexible culture that allows you to advance in your career without the personal sacrifice. I particularly thrived with the unwritten rule of advancing to a new role every two years

Productive and informative

I started working at IBM with no sales experience and was taken aboard and taught sales skills with the IBM Sales School it was intense and demanding school I have ever experienced. They taught me about pricing, negotiating contract writing. The culture is diverse and impowering.

Too Many Restrechments that didnt make sense.

IBM was a great company to work for however the retrenchments were bad. Basically my whole HR career was built at IBM. I had the opportunity to work with individual from across the Globe. My Manager at the time had high expectations for and I am glad our paths crossed.

Diciplined with excellent knowledge growth.

- A typical workday is 12 hours if not more based on workload for that day. - A solid relationship between employees has to be maintained to stay up to date with what is happening. - I have learned the value of a client and the most valuable thing a client can give you is time. In return you have to give something of value back. - I enjoy the challenge that changes daily that keeps me being busy all the time. - The most challenging aspects would be meeting deadlines. They can be delayed based on missing information.

Not a Good Company to Work For

Not a Good Company to Work For Was Retrenched and a new Person employed after me. No Benefits and Lack of comminucation from managers to I.T Guys.....

Temporary position

This was a temporary position for a short period. Good experience, excellent company. The company is based in Sandton. I worked there in the interim whilst looking for a permanent position.

Nurturing

Constant opportunities for growth and advancement. Opportunities for social contribution. Provided global networking and enablement.Highly effective incentive programs

Ibm

With IBM you get to learn a lot because of the learning platforms that one has access to. A typical day at work is basically you doing the job that is required of you, on your spare time you do some learning through the channel YOULEARNING.

N/a

Poor management, too many processes and policies which makes tasks and projects inefficient and non profitable. HR unhelpful, extremely demanding working conditions. No salary increases, no company year end functions or team building.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at IBM. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Based on 31 952 reviews

3,9 out of 5 stars for Work/Life Balance
3,5 out of 5 stars for Salary/Benefits
3,5 out of 5 stars for Job Security/Advancement
3,5 out of 5 stars for Management
3,7 out of 5 stars for Culture
  • IBM
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?