IBM Employee Reviews in Cape Town, Western Cape

Not a nice place to work. Very poor work/life balance. Very much a dog-eat-dog culture. Accountable to IBM USA, unrelenting in demand for higher profits regardles of the exchange rate and country culture.
All the companies I worked for had a nice environment. Management was always there to support you in any way possible. I also like the comradery. There was lots of oppertunities to further your carreer. Courses was made available. What frustrated me was sometimes you need to go through to much REDTAPE to get what you want. A typical day would consist of Planning for the day, continue on current projects, normal BAU and any emergency or sev 1 problems.
Pros
Flexi time
Cons
IBM is a good company to work for as they believe in career growth and a work life balance. There is a big focus on service quality and service delivery
Pros
Mobilty Programme
Cons
Started at 07h00 hours, took handover from the previous shift, prepare the days tape list to be returned. Do a walk about in the Computer Room to check for any errors lights on the servers and monitors, check that there are no error lights on the network switches, check the air conditioners. Monitor the balance of the jobs that is still running. Have a meeting with IBM and Pick 'n Pay management regarding any issues reported during the previous shift. Follow-up on issues reported to get it resolved. Prepare tapes to go offsite using TSM before courier arrives. Have a telephonic meeting with IBM Data Center Management regarding work related issues. Assist with requests and tasks from IBM and Pick 'n Pay System Administrators. Once tapes arrives book it onsite via TSM and load it into the library. Check for any changes that might happen during the night or after hours and put into handover and forward it to the Nightshift or Weekend staff. Monitor backups and jobs that that starts at 17h00. Handover to nightshift at 19h00.
Pros
You learn a lot
Cons
To work holidays and week-ends
IBM allows there employees to grow and exposing them to new and challenging information. There are huge amount of opportunities to the employee if they are willing to go the extra mile.
Pros
Working from home
Cons
Supporting end users and IT Infrastructure Gained lots of troubleshooting and fault finding skills Management always supported my career growth Always keeping up to date with latest technology Every day is not the same
Typical day at work is meetings to fulfill you process and procedure documents, Working for a corporate company is always difficult because the head office is in another country or province, the Management visibility is not so good when you are consider a remote site. My co-workers is great and we have good teaming. The hardest part of my job is to get through all the internal related documents while the customer has demands Most enjoyable part of my Job is the customer satisfaction once you deliver a service more than what they expected
Pros
Working from home
Cons
Typical day at work, early morning reports to be done to see what the incidents look like from the night before.What I learn every day is that although my title is the service delivery manager I learn all other fields everyday because i'm interacting with all the teams on a daily basis ensuring that outstanding issue's and concerns are being addressed,Management drive your career and ensuring that you have to ability to study if not in a college then on line but there are always online training that can be done on a daily basisThe co-workers are all professional and know what is expected to do the job.The hardest part of my job is being responsible for SLA and OLA that other teams are accountable for.The most enjoyable part of my job is to see the customers happy and praising IBM for a job well done.
Pros
mobile, own laptop and can work from home if there are no meetings at the office
Cons
long hours any time of night if an issue arise you need to be available
the experience was very nice i had fun and most importantly learned a lot about the professional world.being my first professional job it taught me a lot and laid down the foundation for my career my time there was fun and fruitful.
Pros
friendly environment, friendly staff
  1. Cape Town, Western Cape