IBM Employee Reviews in Johannesburg, Gauteng

IBM is a company that helps employees develope their skill, so employees can stay relevant in a competative global market. At IBM employees are encouraged to become innovators and pioneers to drive the 4th industrial revolution.
Leads and Managers have no time for people to try get themselves back on track.. they very EE orientated and really don't care about the consultants on contract.
Cons
long hours, bad attitude, little team work.
I learned a lot and grew in the company. I started my recruitment path there and I was offered opportunities to explore and learn in my position. I had a great team support and we worked well as a team.
IBM has a great, flexible culture that allows you to advance in your career without the personal sacrifice. I particularly thrived with the unwritten rule of advancing to a new role every two years
- A typical workday is 12 hours if not more based on workload for that day. - A solid relationship between employees has to be maintained to stay up to date with what is happening. - I have learned the value of a client and the most valuable thing a client can give you is time. In return you have to give something of value back. - I enjoy the challenge that changes daily that keeps me being busy all the time. - The most challenging aspects would be meeting deadlines. They can be delayed based on missing information.
With IBM you get to learn a lot because of the learning platforms that one has access to. A typical day at work is basically you doing the job that is required of you, on your spare time you do some learning through the channel YOULEARNING.
Poor management, too many processes and policies which makes tasks and projects inefficient and non profitable. HR unhelpful, extremely demanding working conditions. No salary increases, no company year end functions or team building.
Manage a set of accounts, be managed globally. Line managers are not that experienced, thus a high staff turnover. Nonetheless they don’t do coffee for free but it’s a good company to work for
It’s a cool place.. things are flexible and depending on your manager you can work from home which is really cool.. the environment is chilled out and you can learn lots
As the CEO's PA I was his gatekeeper. I managed his diary, his workload, his client calls, his presentations and I guess him. It was a honour and a priviledge to be an IBMer. When you mentioned that you worked for IBM and was the PA to the CEO everyone wanted to know more.
Pros
Meeting other people of Director level
Cons
Leaving
Op je werk aangekomen de computer opstarten, bakkie koffie erbij, applicaties openen en wachten op de je eerste foutmelding. Rustig blijven al het probleem wordt uitgelegd en analytisch meedenken om tot vervolgens tot een oplossing te komen. Oplossing uitzetten en bij resultaat de cliënt informeren dat het probleem is opgelost. Management kwam je alleen mee in aanraking als het bedrijfstechnisch was. Bedrijfscultuur was typisch Amerikaans. Wat moeilijk was, was de rust op de afdeling bewaren als er niks te doen was. Het leukste waren de collega’s waarmee je buiten het werk mee dingen ondernam.
Pros
Trainingen en inspiratie.
Cons
Onervaren collega’s op de werkvloer die het verpesten voor de andere collega’s.
IBM values work/life balance and how accommodating employees can help them become more productive. IBM has a vast library of free education making IBM the perfect place to expand knowledge and experience
Pros
Work Life Balance
Cons
Job Security
During my employment at IBM South Africa (1980 -1996) I attended a large number of internal training sessions. This training helped me in various technical and soft skills. The positions I held was of technical (hardware and software) nature, but required of me to network with IBM Customers. This was in itself a large development area of my skillset. IBM management was professional, trustworthy and a high level of integrity was maintained.
Pros
Experienced personal growth as technology improved.
Cons
Sometime long hours
Best company to work for especially if you are looking at developing your career technically and knowledge of IS/IT offers in the market. Options to travel and learn processes in other countries especially technically advance countries.
Pros
Extensive development
Cons
Complex International processes
The culture is great. They have very strong values that they adhere to and ensure all employees live by. Highly respected organisation with proper training for all employees.
There is huge potential to learn at IBM and it was an incredible experience. There was a lot of international travel and international exposure to experts.
A typical day at work is usually extremely busy. Almost not time for lunch. At IBM you never stop learning - no matter what you do. Everyday something new will be learned. Management is stern focussed and driven requiring a mature mindset. My job is not really hard. Just exceptionally challenging. Thinking, problem solving, innovation is some key characteristics of my job. What I get to learn and how I apply it.
Pros
Flexible working times and amount of learning.
Cons
Hours spent working.
Terrible place to work. No increases for years. Literally a bubblegum company, they use you till you can not give no more and then get someone else. Salaries way below market related, they get foreigners from Europe to work for half of an European unemployment benefit luring you under false pretences of "watching elephants in your free time". Poor management and top performers are rewarded with "a day of" If you want to eat noodles every day, please do apply to work here.
Pros
Cons
45hr workweek, below average pay, no increases, no growth. poor management
Flexible and good culture envirnomnent and career exposure so good and following Agile Stream to most of there project. Medium work that need more dedication and challenging not overstressing and fun environment to work on in it.
A typical day at work I would answer calls, reply to sametime messages and assist with any issues that the customer would encounter and send tickets to the different departments. Working for IBM I learned a lot on how to use computers and I also learned a lot on the software and hardward side of things. Regarding management I was lucky to have a brilliant Team Leader and Manager too. The workplace culture was very interesting as there were many people from all over around the world that used to work in different departments. The hardest part of the job was not being able to solve a specific problem after you have tried everything and trouble shooting, and all the necessary tools that were given to you. The most enjoyable part of the job is that you would get awarded a prize for best agent if you took the most calls, and as a team we would all help each other.
It is a good place to work at for driven individuals, varied work days, exposed to interesting, insightful, helpful people. Your career is driven by self and internal networking.
  1. Johannesburg, Gauteng