IBM Employee Reviews in Sandton, Gauteng

I started working at IBM with no sales experience and was taken aboard and taught sales skills with the IBM Sales School it was intense and demanding school I have ever experienced. They taught me about pricing, negotiating contract writing. The culture is diverse and impowering.
IBM was a great company to work for however the retrenchments were bad. Basically my whole HR career was built at IBM. I had the opportunity to work with individual from across the Globe. My Manager at the time had high expectations for and I am glad our paths crossed.
This was a temporary position for a short period. Good experience, excellent company. The company is based in Sandton. I worked there in the interim whilst looking for a permanent position.
On a typical day, an assistant would be required to ensure the diary for their respective client is up to date and that meetings have been confirmed with room bookings or even catering if required. I have learned the importance of trusting my skills and judgement and as a result my clients were at ease when giving me tasks. The most challenging part of my job at IBM was dealing with various time zones and languages from outside of Africa. What I enjoyed about being an Executive Administrative Assistant at IBM was the various departments we serviced. I was exposed to different conversations around what IBM offers which opened my eyes to the world of technology.
Pros
Opportunity for growth
Cons
No real support
Enjoyed working on a team helpful and driven to achieve together. Had great team leaders I worked under. Work energy was great, would collaborate with other departments selling their products
Pros
Working with an energetic team
Cons
Change in working role
This was a perfect introductory start into my professional career and learned about how IBM interacts with local software developers to develop their applications
Responsible for the day-to-day running of a large iSeries operational environment. This includes batch job scheduling and monitoring, tape management and performing problem determination and problem source identification in software environments, problem analysis, evaluation, recreation, and resolution of customer reported and resolution of related hardware and software in a multiple customer environment. Johnson & Johnsons, Atlas Copco, Huntsman, Deutsche Bank, Gates, etc. - Operating I series systems for customers in accordance with laid down standards and procedures; Monitoring the system performance and user jobs; Data mirror ; MQ series - Robot jobs monitoring and restarting failed jobs; - Basic problem solving and reporting them to Application Developers and Engineers; - Backups and Restores; Backup and Recovery Media Services (BRMS); - Maintenance jobs, Reclaim storage and Library Re-orgs; - Provides end user support for IBM and AS/400 computer systems and warehouse applications. - Monitors entire computer environment during shift.
Pros
overtime payments was fast
Cons
shifts
A great organisation to work with and always be at the leading edge of technology. Not one day is the same working at IBM. Stimulating, fast moving, changing, challenging. Interaction with many intelligent colleagues and clients.
Cons
Working at IBM, was excellent as the availability of onsite causes as well the policies that managers from all departments had, the open door. Which in turn made my working experience and knowledge capacity wider with available resources.
Pros
Excellent learning cuve
Cons
no cons
Shift work, 24/7 mainframe operations environment. Hands on managerial approach and good professional work culture. Hardest part of the job are the long hours, huge workload and stress. Good people, international company with good perks.
Pros
Good perk
Cons
Long Hours, work every weekend
Intern, I was doing my testing as a they kept extending my contract for short periods andi needed more than the time they were giving with no benefits
Pros
Training
Cons
No permanant
During my time at IBM, the company has offered me many opportunities to improve my skills, provided additional training and assisted with Professional and personal growth.
I learned a lot though for me it a an internship, to master networking skills, presentations discovering the essence of technology in our every day lives and the need to learn improve and keep up with trends.difficult is the technical part the coding e.t.c for some one with no proper educational background in scripts or IT.
Big company that teaches you to handle different kinds of people and how to be patient and work faster than other days, every day you learn new things people and work.
My tipical day as i am based at one of our clients site o provide support , i come in the office and do a system check on all the servers ( VIrtual servers and physical servers ) . Then i will attend to any matter that was outstanding from the previouse day. I have learnt a lot in terms of handling projects and working with different people and suppliers . At the current moment i manage a team of 3 IT engineers that are in other WPP sites.
Pros
ability to work from home
Cons
A typical day at work - Project Management, planning, execution, meetings, staff management What you learned - how important it is to deliver project within the project scope Management - Great Co-workers - Great team Hardest part of the job - To run multiple projects in different locations Most enjoyable part of the job - Delivering projects within the planned scope.
Pros
Medical Aid, Car Allowance, Petrol Allowance, Cellphone Allowance, 13 th Cheque, Training
Cons
Being such a big company, you are just a number
one learn everyday at IBM is a productive work environment that you can grow your career at,they are the hardest days like any other jobs but working at IBM is the best .
IBM is a global company .work life balance is highly recommended working tools are a priority to ensure that work is done wherever you are as long as dead lines are archived and audit ratings are met.Good salary and benefits as per your performs ratings .as the company is highly recognised jobs are highly secured..Management at IBM is mostly remote due to work life and balance
Pros
independency self drive
Cons
Always working at other companies
The Gains you got here were purely academic as you can learn a lot and gain experience, however favouritism and nepotism along with bad management very quickly deteriorates any notions of working for a big brand IT company such as IBM. I dedicated 5 year of my life to the job as a contractor until i was unethically made redundant without any option to be made permanent. The shift structure, inept and unfair management, stress levels and general lack of appreciation we worked with left me and many others, dealing with many serious medical problems including and not limited to Diabetes, sleep apnoeia and Hypertension. the Salary package was not great either
Pros
Experience, very little else
Cons
Too many to mention
Had the opportunity to express myself and propose more innovative ideas especially when we were doing projects with our main client MTN.
Pros
Many allowances
Cons
Contract for only a short period, I do wish I was a permanent employee there
Its extremely busy , making calls. follow up on deals, liaise with brand, business partner to ensure all the clients needs are met. Do some cold calling to build pipeline Attend a few meetings Complete enablement
Pros
Good Company
Cons
Not such a strong management
  1. Sandton, Gauteng