IBM
3,9 out of 5 stars.

IBM Employee Reviews for Engineer

Good place but includes travel. Management is good. Can get monotonous. Promotions not easy. Pay is good benefits are ok. Interview process is long. Very process oriented so getting through the process is tough and takes too long
Where to begin with this review, things have not gone to expectations for such a huge company. It appears to be a great company from the outside but things are different from the inside.
Good place to work had a lot of fun. Management was nice and the salary structure is fair too. Bonus is less, benefits are mediocre. Thank you so much.
Great job and great guys you work alongside but poor management and very little communication from them. Would not recommend applying for a job with this company.
***Very professional progressive work culture, employees are knowledgeable and skilled technology professionals, IBM overall is a good company to work for.
This was a work placement as a part of my level 3 BTEC Extended Diploma at Farnborough College of Technology. I learned a lot of skills in the placement and was able to experience a real workplace for the first time.
A productive and stressfree workplace with cooperative environment
Started my career here. Learned alot and became well respected engineer. When IBM fell on hard times starting in 1990's environment grew increasingly toxic. Laid off in 2007. By then it was a pressure cooker, burned out many engineers. Today I would not trust them, everyone I knew eventually got laid off.
IBM is overall a good company to work for. The issue is that everyone knows everyone so if something were to happen they protect their people. The work life balance is good, they offer remote work if needed which is always a plus. The location that I work for is small and not much of a team. They don't really respect women or treat them as equals. They have a really high churn rate that scares the employees due to massive layoffs that frequently occur.
I worked remotely and rarely worked directly with IBM. The culture was similar to other places that I've worked. There are some people eager to work with you and some that can be difficult. You just need to recognize who you're dealing with and adjust the conversations accordingly. Overall it's a good place to work.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at IBM?
The company seems to chase fads and downsizing, while leaving their employees to pick up the pieces and guess what skills might be required in the future.
Enjoyed my time. Would have loved to stay and try different career paths. Easily could be pinging holes into a career path without clear guidance. Always try to move around and try new things every 2 to 3 years
Great place to work, will thrive if you are self directed. Good work life balance, multiple training resources/opportunities. Not a good degree of career advancement opportunities.
I held a variety of professional positions during my 12 years at IBM. As you might expect, some of these positions were more fulfilling than others. My best assignment was two years at IBM Research in New York.
Pros
Stimulating atmosphere.
Cons
Some managers were quite bad.
Great experience! Very interesting with advance technology. Very good work environment . In charge of SRAM yield thought the 22nm technology development.
IBM is not what it was. The implied social contract between you and the company doesn't exist anymore, especially if you are in a client-facing or commissioned role. The expectation is 100% loyalty towards the company, and 0% towards the employee. You can exceed quota, travel to awards locations for exceeding expectations, win kudos, be considered a thought leader...and get shown the door the next week. It's a bloodless machine which chews you up and spits you out for no reason other than your name comes up in some random selection. You can make a lot of $ here. But, don't depend on it for the long term career (unless you father or mother has managed to hang on and make it to the executive level).
Pros
work from home and self-directed assignments
Cons
No job security or recognition of efforts
IBM is an ok company however they are very profit focused and Americanised which doesn't necessarily work well within Europe. they are also very ruthless with staff
There were always layoff rumors and they seemed to hit our organization every February. This resulted in low morale. Eventually our organization was sold to Lenovo.
The company does not really seem to know what it's doing right now. I support three products, none of which are really being sold by our sales team. Instead, the team is pushing a new product, which is fine, but for some reason, our manager is reluctant to help us train on the new product, which we are totally qualified to support.
Pros
Work from home, free food when you are on site.
Cons
Bad management, contradictory messages.
Excellent work/job balance, good management, high workplace culture, flexible hours, a lots of opportunities to learn, a very good reputable Company. Thank you.
Great place to work if you have the right manager that supports you.Employees are friendly.Most enjoyable part is meeting new people and new assignments.Hardest part is getting people to let your opinions count and not look at it as only their opinions matter.
Pros
Opportunites to take classes and learn
Cons
Managers do not like employees to move but feel it is ok if they try to better themselves