IBM
3,9 out of 5 stars.

IBM Employee Reviews for Engineering Technician

I enjoyed working the Contract for IBM. To add more experience to my IT field. The hours were good for me. Department personnel - Managers have their favorites. IBM department - is not professional
Work days were very busy. I learned many different skills and systems during my time at IBM. The management team I worked for was great. The most enjoyable part of my job was working with co-workers and the management teams at IBM.
Pros
Flexible work hours for personal life events
Cons
health care cost
This was a great company to work for. The management team was great, Lots of incentives that included family and friends. I will alway's be grateful to have worked for, this company . BIG BLUE
Pros
Respect for the individual, no noncense place. family first
Cons
A typical day at work can be varied depending on the problems occurring during the week. The hardest part of the job is dealing with the ever changing environment.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Job security
IBM used to be a great company to work for, but lately things have changed. For the past decade we have seen very little as far as promotions, bonuses, and job security. While making record profits some quarters, thy money never trickled down. I think I stayed too long thinking IBM would take care of me.. They ended up selling our division with little left after brain drain. Between retirements and layoff every year our site took a huge hit in moral. Like I said, A good starting out company but one you should never stay at.
The IBM of today is only a shell of the great company it once was back in the days of Thomas Watson Sr. Even if you work hard your chances of being let go are high as management continues to divest what remains of the corporation. I had a great team and for the most part the work itself was very satisfying.
Pros
Easy Work.
Cons
High probability of layoff.
management has lost its drive,lack discipline, certainly run for the exec's benefit, need to hire young talent and spend money to keep people here
A typical day at work was to meet with engineers scientist to discuss experiments and goals for the year. I learned a lot working with scientist in R&D for 12 years. I had the opportunity to apply my own ideas and developed patents with some of the engineers for new products. My co-workers were all very pleasant to work with and very educated in their fields. I was an engineering tech specialist in analysis of the media for the development of the hard disc drive for the personal computer. I really enjoy working for IBM Corp.
Pros
Work for one of the best companies in the U.S.
Within the MASK House of IBM in Essex Junction, VT., there was a n amazing work atmosphere that was unmatched. Everyone would help anyone who might need it, as well as picking each other up when down. A typical day consisted of maintaining data sheets, scrap reports, and defect analysis. Moving Engineering Work Releases as to better understand and improve yearly yields for 32 nanometer manufacturing.
Pros
An easy atmosphere with no one looking over your shoulder
Cons
No real job security.
Thoroughly enjoyed my 18 years at IBM in Fiskill, NY. I made many great friends for life. Professional environment and attitude.
Pros
great people, great work enviroment
Cons
outsourcing of jobs
I work 12 hour night shifts. I have acquired an abundance of knowledge in the field of electrical engineering. Management is inadequate. Hardest part of the job is simply boredom, the company's tools are down on a regular basis. About 40% of the time. I enjoy the work I do and learning more about computer chip development.
Pros
Cons
compensation
Work/life balance isn't good. Lots of overtime and weekend work.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
bad pay, over worked employees, poor management