IBM
3,9 out of 5 stars.

IBM Employee Reviews for R&D Engineer

I was lucky to have a great manager right out of college. He was highly supportive in what I was interested in and found great mentorship opportunities for me within the firm. We had many collaborative projects with Yorktown, and that further broadened my technical horizon. Unfortunately the division was a target for divestiture and that it why I ended up leaving the company.
Worked there for many years. Maybe too long. After a while it becomes a bit too comfortable and you feel like you are not doing the best of youself. At this point
Good place to work in technology.. Many projects to work on and accomplish.. Need to balance work load and plan for year.. Management cares about people and future of company.. Employees are well educated and experienced.. Location in suburbs of new york.. Meet many new co-workers from all backgrounds..
Pros
Yearly picnics, Monthly pub events
Cons
Infrequent raises
Best thing about working in IBM R&D is being able to see what the future will look like on your hands. Management is good but since the chip market is very competitive, the stakes are high and if you're there, you must be able to produce on a high level.
Cons
too much pressure to produce, very competitive
One can learn subject technically deep. There is lot of scope for innovation and learning new things - like Machine learning, Cloud, Data analytics, etc.
Pros
Work from home option
enjoy working in research labs with scientists and walking around the campus. Have your own office and key and walk back and forth to labs.
It was an Enjoyable experience to work here. There was a lot of flexibility at work. Supportive management had offered lot of opportunities. Very productive
Pros
Flexible
Great place to grow and learn. Flexible and supportive environment and management. Exposure to new technology and opportunities
Pros
Flexible and fun
Creative lab research environment. People were eager to help and contribute to your project. Being located in a large production plant gave access to a lot of ressources.
fun place to work where you get to be creative. very good work life balance and wonderful co-workers
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
frequent layoffs
IBM tends to pigeon-hole its people into just the job it needs from that person. In my 18 years at there I knew I was stuck in a job that, if I did my job well, would dwindle away to nothing eventually - and it did. As I told ever manager I ever had, I knew I was in a gilded cage - no place to go, no advancement potential, lateral or otherwise, but making too good a salary and was there too long to voluntarily jump ship -- so they made me walk the plank after I basically worked myself out of a job. But such is the life of field service hardware support in a corporation that reclassified itself as a "services" provider instead of a manufacturer - those pesky machines just won't stay running whereas code can be written overseas by anybody.
Pros
OK salary and so-so benefits, good work/life balance
Cons
trying to get rid of hardware and anybody that supports it, code is much easier to offshore than hardware service
- Lead prototype group to build new system. - Learn to interface with many people with different cultures. - Very professional management. - Great co-workers - The hardest part of the job was load and un-load big system. - The most enjoyable part of the job was watching each system ship out the door.
Pros
IBM has big cafeteria.
Cons
Don't have drinking water inside facility
a typical day at work is hectic learned a lot management is huge your co-workers are cooperative