IBM Management reviews

Leads and Managers have no time for people to try get themselves back on track.. they very EE orientated and really don't care about the consultants on contract.
Cons
long hours, bad attitude, little team work.
Poor management, too many processes and policies which makes tasks and projects inefficient and non profitable. HR unhelpful, extremely demanding working conditions. No salary increases, no company year end functions or team building.
Manage a set of accounts, be managed globally. Line managers are not that experienced, thus a high staff turnover. Nonetheless they don’t do coffee for free but it’s a good company to work for
On a typical day, an assistant would be required to ensure the diary for their respective client is up to date and that meetings have been confirmed with room bookings or even catering if required. I have learned the importance of trusting my skills and judgement and as a result my clients were at ease when giving me tasks. The most challenging part of my job at IBM was dealing with various time zones and languages from outside of Africa. What I enjoyed about being an Executive Administrative Assistant at IBM was the various departments we serviced. I was exposed to different conversations around what IBM offers which opened my eyes to the world of technology.
Pros
Opportunity for growth
Cons
No real support
Not a nice place to work. Very poor work/life balance. Very much a dog-eat-dog culture. Accountable to IBM USA, unrelenting in demand for higher profits regardles of the exchange rate and country culture.
I usually start my work at 7:30 am ,collaboratively plan my day and make sure that the most urgent work get done first before it can get busy.I learn that that starting early will relief a lot of stress that comes with eight hours work.well hen it comes to management they always want things done.I get along with different cultures at corporate The hardest part of my job is when I can't find a solution for a problem I need to solve The most enjoyable part of my job is when I can come up with solution and quick
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
As the CEO's PA I was his gatekeeper. I managed his diary, his workload, his client calls, his presentations and I guess him. It was a honour and a priviledge to be an IBMer. When you mentioned that you worked for IBM and was the PA to the CEO everyone wanted to know more.
Pros
Meeting other people of Director level
Cons
Leaving
Op je werk aangekomen de computer opstarten, bakkie koffie erbij, applicaties openen en wachten op de je eerste foutmelding. Rustig blijven al het probleem wordt uitgelegd en analytisch meedenken om tot vervolgens tot een oplossing te komen. Oplossing uitzetten en bij resultaat de cliënt informeren dat het probleem is opgelost. Management kwam je alleen mee in aanraking als het bedrijfstechnisch was. Bedrijfscultuur was typisch Amerikaans. Wat moeilijk was, was de rust op de afdeling bewaren als er niks te doen was. Het leukste waren de collega’s waarmee je buiten het werk mee dingen ondernam.
Pros
Trainingen en inspiratie.
Cons
Onervaren collega’s op de werkvloer die het verpesten voor de andere collega’s.
no micromanagement employees were trusted to carry out their assigned tasks management / employee communication on point peaceful workflow, happy customers
During my employment at IBM South Africa (1980 -1996) I attended a large number of internal training sessions. This training helped me in various technical and soft skills. The positions I held was of technical (hardware and software) nature, but required of me to network with IBM Customers. This was in itself a large development area of my skillset. IBM management was professional, trustworthy and a high level of integrity was maintained.
Pros
Experienced personal growth as technology improved.
Cons
Sometime long hours
The culture is great. They have very strong values that they adhere to and ensure all employees live by. Highly respected organisation with proper training for all employees.
A typical day at work is usually extremely busy. Almost not time for lunch. At IBM you never stop learning - no matter what you do. Everyday something new will be learned. Management is stern focussed and driven requiring a mature mindset. My job is not really hard. Just exceptionally challenging. Thinking, problem solving, innovation is some key characteristics of my job. What I get to learn and how I apply it.
Pros
Flexible working times and amount of learning.
Cons
Hours spent working.
Terrible place to work. No increases for years. Literally a bubblegum company, they use you till you can not give no more and then get someone else. Salaries way below market related, they get foreigners from Europe to work for half of an European unemployment benefit luring you under false pretences of "watching elephants in your free time". Poor management and top performers are rewarded with "a day of" If you want to eat noodles every day, please do apply to work here.
Pros
Cons
45hr workweek, below average pay, no increases, no growth. poor management
A typical day at work I would answer calls, reply to sametime messages and assist with any issues that the customer would encounter and send tickets to the different departments. Working for IBM I learned a lot on how to use computers and I also learned a lot on the software and hardward side of things. Regarding management I was lucky to have a brilliant Team Leader and Manager too. The workplace culture was very interesting as there were many people from all over around the world that used to work in different departments. The hardest part of the job was not being able to solve a specific problem after you have tried everything and trouble shooting, and all the necessary tools that were given to you. The most enjoyable part of the job is that you would get awarded a prize for best agent if you took the most calls, and as a team we would all help each other.
Excellent travel Perks and a different work home balance made it a good working experienced. The south African management was a bit immature and the hardest part of the Job was having to impress multiple matrix managers across different GEO's. The most enjoyable part was traveling across Africa and Europe when doing various projects. What a learnt is with the IP IBM has accumulated over the years there was no project or task that IBM could not handle.
Pros
Work from home
Cons
South African resources not given overseas oppty as the other International IBM resources.
Responsible for the day-to-day running of a large iSeries operational environment. This includes batch job scheduling and monitoring, tape management and performing problem determination and problem source identification in software environments, problem analysis, evaluation, recreation, and resolution of customer reported and resolution of related hardware and software in a multiple customer environment. Johnson & Johnsons, Atlas Copco, Huntsman, Deutsche Bank, Gates, etc. - Operating I series systems for customers in accordance with laid down standards and procedures; Monitoring the system performance and user jobs; Data mirror ; MQ series - Robot jobs monitoring and restarting failed jobs; - Basic problem solving and reporting them to Application Developers and Engineers; - Backups and Restores; Backup and Recovery Media Services (BRMS); - Maintenance jobs, Reclaim storage and Library Re-orgs; - Provides end user support for IBM and AS/400 computer systems and warehouse applications. - Monitors entire computer environment during shift.
Pros
overtime payments was fast
Cons
shifts
All the companies I worked for had a nice environment. Management was always there to support you in any way possible. I also like the comradery. There was lots of oppertunities to further your carreer. Courses was made available. What frustrated me was sometimes you need to go through to much REDTAPE to get what you want. A typical day would consist of Planning for the day, continue on current projects, normal BAU and any emergency or sev 1 problems.
Pros
Flexi time
Cons
While at IBM I was tasked with the bringing on board the major banks, including FNB, ABSA and Standard Bank, in terms of Software Support SLA's. Something I achieved with relative ease, and won a Directors' Award for doing. I found management to be extremely supportive at all levels, with objectives aligned from the ground up all the way to senior management.
I loved working for IBM - I enjoyed the various jobs I had through my IBM career. The management, the people interaction. Some of the the best skills development I received was at IBM.
learned service management environment while supporting IBM clients. worked with both the service engineers that supported or built systems for the clients and with the clients reporting to them. different cultures and working with resources from different environments. providing support on a 24/7 working environments
Pros
fulfillment
Cons
extremly long hours at times
Listed as Top 10 Companies to work for, Varied day, exciting environment dealing with clients, and energetic management. I have learned to work in a diverse environment
Pros
Canteen
Cons
Not perm