Independent Media

Independent Media Employee Reviews

South Africa17 reviews
3,0
Very stressful environment with no job security.

I wrote articles for an online platform and sometimes for the newspaper. Our unit was understaffed so sometimes I would have to do more than one person's job.
2,0
A typical day at Independent Media is from 8:30am until 5pm everyday, excluding weekends and public/national holidays. The work culture is quite competitive, fast-paced, slightly stressful and productive. The most enjoyable part of the job is that one never stops learning. I always discover something new and exciting about the job frequently and I enjoyed working in that job position. Hardest part was that I struggled to find a permanent position within the company and maybe did feel like there was some nepotism occuring but despite my efforts to apply for permanent positions, I was unsuccessful in finding job security at the company.
4,0
on the job learning in a short space of time, while dealing with broad company law administration. Employees are friendly natured and eager to assist where you need help
3,0
Working at the is quite difficult to work there, as the work there is in a chain work system. There's a semi-high absenteeism rate, which makes the next person less able to achieve their tasks on time.
4,0
I was basically volunteering for a BRICS conference held at Cape Town ICC and it only took place for three days .It was fun and I learnt a lot form the staff.
4,0
I spent my best years with Independent Media and have no regrets with all the knowledge I gained.
I would take the opportunity to to work with the company again if I was given a chance
Pros
We had fun times with staff
Cons
Never had to work for more then i have to
3,0
Good working with my colleagues, fun loving people. I enjoy helping others tell their story, and i love exposing what needs to be exposed. I work with some great people.
Pros
Good people
Cons
working on sundays
2,0
Management does not care about its workers. Two retrenchment processes in two years so the job security is extremely low.

The work life balance is problematic because often required to work on weekends and after normal hours.
Pros
Benefits in salary
Cons
Too many
3,0
Working under immense pressure in an unmotivating environment. Lack of leadership or encouragement and no scope for growth or job advancement. The hardest part of the job is unrealistic demands. I love what I do, my actual job, just not the environment I'm forced to work in.
Pros
Meeting interesting people in the industry
Cons
Bad working conditions
3,0
Each day is different, you can never tell what issues will arise and this is due to the big workforce we have.

It's exciting because it's busy and you always have work to do.

The culture is easy but fast paced and a busy environment.

The hardest part of my job is remaining middle grounded and always remembering not to get personally involved with staff issues.

Most enjoyable part of my job are the friendly team I work with.
Pros
Fringe Benefits
Cons
Fast paced environment
3,0
Productive and flexible working environment. Well managed and excellent working hours. Training provided, helpful management staff along with cheerful colleagues.
5,0
It's a place to grow and learn your strength, fun to work at. The collegues and management are like family help you to grow and feel like part of the family.
Pros
Free lunch when having meetings and an opportunity to participate in charity work.
3,0
Lack of communication between upper management and other employees.
Uncertainty about the future.

Upper management / owners seem driven by political agenda.

Expects more work from less staff, but not willing to compensate.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Lack of growth
3,0
I learned a lot about the kind of company I worked for and was lucky enough to have the nicest colleagues, but I cannot say I learnt much from my time there. I had a lovely team and it was a pleasure to work with them.
2,0
I had 20 very happy years there and it has taught me everything I know. But the recent changes in ownership I feel has severely affected the quality of the products and the morale of the staff. So my review may be harsh but it only reflects recent changes.
Pros
Being hands-on with all aspects of production. Having a wonderful team behind me
Cons
Change of ownership which required some unethical wprk procedures.
4,0
Dealing with different clients on a daily basis
Achieving monthly targets

Management are very supportive

Colleagues work in their own space

Cancellations

When our article/features are published with no gliches
Pros
free newspaper
Cons
paying for parking
4,0
Work day typically starts at 8:30 and ends at 16:30 Usually calling clients and sending through proposals, balancing with conceptualizing events for the year and doing presentations to clients as well as executives/CEO

I have learned a lot of valuable lessons and am proud to have been part of a team that I could also add value to. Fortunately to work at a media house that has existing clientelle and greater following, I've learned to do presentations to senior people in companies as well as take lead in many projects. I mainly work closely with my line manger as we are the only two people managing and foreseeing the events department, the rest of the team are all sales/Account Executives. It's a fairly small team, we all get a long well and assist each other where necessary, promoting team work.

The most enjoyable part of the job is definitely meeting and networking with truly amazing, inspirational people and getting to share innovative ideas, as well as travelling, putting together an event and watching it all come together beautifully in the end. That is so rewarding.
Pros
Networking
Cons
Odd working hours (When there's an event)