Knysna Municipality
3,9 out of 5 stars.

Knysna Municipality Employee Reviews

South Africa18 reviews

3,6Work-Life Balance

Helpful and supportive atmosphere at technical department.

I was just a casual for six months, but my experience was life changing. I was introduced to a total new experience into the technical world. So interesting.

Pros

Lots of opportunities to better yourself

Cons

Everything takes forever.

Consistent ,reliable and take responsibility

To learn and understand different behaviour and characters of the staff.Other Librarians was supporting me coaching and mentoring me and advice me to meet the deadlines.During the week on Wednesday I enjoyed goingout doing outreach visiting creches to deliver suitcase library and do story telling for the young ones. I was very happy to instil the culture of reading to the young ones.Write monthly report explain in detail and briefly what we have done from the beginning of the month to month end.Most interesting when the Manger of Libraries ask me to compile the report of all the Knysna Municipality libraries. I was very happy because he has trusted me and know that I will do it.What I have learned is to have patience to lead and manage the staff through thick and thin.to humble and patient.To be consistent in my job and know that am responsible and accountable to answer the Dos and donts of the library and the management of staff.

Very good working environment

It was a beautiful experience and I learned a lot. To be able to get a interview and contract at municipality was a fabulous thing that happened to me.

Pros

Work every alternative weekend

Cons

Power failures was big at that stage

Fair duties, Progressive management, fair salary and wages, Good fair benefits and contribution from council members, Hourly rates are justifiable and fair

Upper management must address advancement of junior staff.

Knysna Municipality was a great teacher of everything...and then some, in local government. Corruption and internal political dramas will however be the downfall of it.

Very productive and fun workplace respective staff members

Very productive and fun workplace respective staff members I really enjoyed it there everyone is nice attractive and really love there jobs and all of them are always on time

Pros

Early time to knock off

Productive work environment

A typical day at the office would start with checking emails , what must be dealt with the day . Check my inbox. Check building plans register for plans that needs to be approved that day and plans that needs to be placed on the system . We had a electronic building plans submission I was responsible for it. I would then check in with the Building Inspector for inspection that must be dealt with that day. make sure that previous days was logged and on the outcomes was on the system. Check if any complaints needed to be dealt with . made sure the Building Inspectors was ready and had all inspections at 10 whether complaints or normal inspections. Check that the plans in their inboxes was scrutinize and in my inbox . We would have a coffee together and chat about difficulties they foresee or had and how to solve them. When they leave myself and the plan receiver deals with building plans to be receive or that was received via email. It must be placed on system within 2 days of receipt with all documents required. In between architect and clients that comes into office I help out with technical advice to both the public and the other departments Town Planning and Human Settlements mostly. After lunch I check the Building Inspectors has placed their morning inspection on system . They leave for the afternoon inspection at 3 and then I deal with complaints and plans for approval. The difficult part of my job was keeping everyone happy .The most enjoyable part was to see the thankful client and the finish house ect.

Pros

excellent staff and equiptment

Cons

not enough hours in a day

Fun workplace with complimentary water

Administration is the most important element of job performance. I enjoy meeting new people and also get to understand how to communicate with people is very fun.

productive and hectic

Work place is so diverse and the management is so strict and professional . I learned that it is not easy to control traffic and i must always stop a car from a far distance to stop without swerving . The hardest part was working at any given time if your phone rings . I enjoyed stopping cars and having authority over them .

Pros

Free lunches

people driven

working for Knysna Municipality have thought me how to conduct myself working with community and importances of meeting targets, it have improved my customer service and my administration skills inclunding filling

Pros

sport days

Cons

over times

Fun

It was always fun and exciting working in the knysna municipality everyday the were challenges and something new to be learnt which was the exciting part foe me.

Productive workplace

My day at work starts with screening appointments and going to the manager to check his personal appointments. I have learned a lot over the years from procuring and ordering of various materials to dealing with suppliers, taking complaints (via telephone and over the counter), typing of letters and memo's etc. The hardest part of my job is always hearing and seeing problems in my section of work and not being able to help the public due to insufficient funds. Love working with people and love being on site.

Pros

Very productive but routine work

Run tests on samples every 4hours Take readings on flow meters and check chlorine room, soda ash dosing every hour Monitor telemetry Monitor reservoir levels around the city Monitor poly dosing Monitor the running/operation of the entire plant

Fun place to work at but not much modern and productive

It is such an interesting organisation with different kinds of characters some are appealing and some not, like anywhere else anyway. It is fun to work at but in terms of growth it is not that opportunistic, chances of growing within are slim but one has to push himself at all times and stay positive. it is a very lovely environment to work in and people share knowledge, ideas and expertise.

Pros

One hour lunch

Challenging and fun workplace

In my type of a working environment from 7:30 until 4:30 first I do starting my computer then grab a cup of coffee while I am checking my diary how is my schedule for the day, then if I had some tasks never finish a day before try to finish it up, then if I don't have any death lines I got and ask for something from my chief accountant if isn't there anything I can assist with in the meanwhile. she would invite me over and show me how she would want it to be done then ill do it on my own. what I have learned from that is the how to transfer skills to others that is a skill on its own some other colleagues cannot really transfer skills, and I think that is a challenge of many employees, and there other challenging part of working n a municipality is that people are so relaxed in a way that they don't get to challenge them selves with new strategies for me that is not a very motivating thing, because sometimes as an intern I gets difficult for you to suggest on new methods and ideas. The most highlights for me is when we have to go and present the budgets and other reports to the council and getting approved that gives me more energy knowing that you were the part of the team who did all the good work.

Pros

Workshops and trainings

Cons

political interference

Very busy and productive from early till late.......seeing clients non-stop, very busy.

Lots of co-workers not doing their part, resulting in only a few staff members to work lots of overtime without any renumeration.

Its very challenging yet motivating and environmentaly friendly

Working for Knysna Municipality is very captivating as every around here have nice sense of humour. The environment is way to friendly as i have met individuals who keen to teach and help us as interns to know furthe and have the experience. Knysna Munucipality is a very decent Municiapality and it surely follows its vission which is "where people and nature prosper".

Pros

Quartely get together

Cons

Punctuality

Localy orientated

Department that am working on is a non-funded mandate and under local goverment that makes things difficult to execute because arts and culture does not fall under local government priorities.

Pros

Networking

Cons

Satifying the communities

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Knysna Municipality. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3,6 out of 5 stars for Work/Life Balance