Kumba Iron Ore

South Africa87 reviews

Clear
3,8Work-Life Balance
3,9Culture

productive and fun working enviroment

the working culture was that which encouraged growth as an individual. the organisational culture helped me to aspire to better myself academically, thereby furthering my studies.

Good Company to work for

You get your calm days and your wild days but I have learned to handle it as they come. Hardest part of the job is to maintain adequate stock as there is a huge fluctuation in demand and at the same time keeping within stock budget. The most enjoyable part is the support you get from management as well as the end users and you learn something new every day.

Roductive Work place

A working day was good. Everyone worked together, my co-workers and I, all had a good relationship. The hardest part of the job was the night shift. Me and my co-workers had a lot of fun together as well as work hard when we had to. I enjoyed the part the most where I now I am needed and that my work makes a difference and I can help and do my part

washing and screening plant

I really enjoyed working at kumba,the most enjoyable part of the job was when I was given a chance to work with electricity

Work situation

It is not so bad but I am stressed about how safe i am of my position that I will keep my job. But I am working with great people and our team is great.

Pros

I like the job im doing it is fun

Cons

The new shift roster

fun work, safety 1sr priority.

I did enjoy working ,I learned alot ,with experienced workers. What I liked was safety procedures and reaching targets. Level of communication,respect

Pros

energy drinks we're provided

Cons

over times

Safety first

Good place to work for.Co-workers are very helpful and friendly.You can not stay clean but working on a mine getting dirty is part of the job.

Pros

Performance bonuses

Cons

Shifts

productive do everything to the best of your abilities

when everybody is doing their part to achieve production by working safety , by meeting all the set target on production as well as on safety and going home after a very productive day.

A place to learn alot

Everyday is a great day at work a place where one learns alot everyday.Communicatin skills ,leadership skills and how to deal with different age groups and cultures. Team play is one of the greatest roles that i come across daily.

Great Employer.

All great, a typical day would be attending meetings and managing people and projects, What I have learned is that Managing people has no meaning if you cannot move all the resources to think and produce in unison towards the same direction. Getting people to think and do things in a way that would add value is sometimes difficult but also very rewarding. I get along very well with my co-workers and team. The hardest part of the job would be leaving it. The most enjoyable part of the job is to "love what I do, and wake up every day and knowing that I would get to use the skills and abilities that I have acquired to do a great job".

In a typical day, my day is exciting. Have a dynamic team, very happy and friendly bunch of people. They will go the extra mile to achieve the job.

excellent work environment

At work, the day is always fun and the colleagues are so amazing. The culture is enabling as well. There were never the hardest part of my job but it was challenging. Everything i did within my job was enjoyable. I can refer to talent management, job design, pyschometric assessment, performance management, etc.

Pros

Challenges

Cons

Nothing i can highlight

Great environment

The position was contract based, we had limited exposure to the company culture and management.

Employees safety and production is first priority

I get to work and arrange my managers diary and help all the employees and their quieries. I do not procrastinate my work in order for me to meet my deadlines and avoid and mishap. The hardest part of the Job is to sit in the meeting and all the managers speak in Afrikaans and i must translate it as i take notes. The most enjoyable part of the job is that i can talk to my manager freely and he listens to me and gives me advise and i get along with all the people i work with.

Pros

Incentives

Cons

No promotions

Winning Culture

Kumba Iron Ore Kolomela Mine has a winning and achieving culture firmly embedded. Employees - in general - benefit greatly from a whole host of benefits including performance rewards, share schemes for all employees, approachable management amongst others.

Pros

Winning team, approachable management, great benifits, low stress environment.

Cons

Few and far between.

A proactive work experience

I have learnt a great deal from Kumba Iron Ore. They offer great learning opportunities and drive good values. The work ethics is very transparent and keeps people honest and motivated to drive to excellence. I truly enjoy working as a team that feels like family who look after each other and support each other in the work place.

Productive and enjoyable

I learned that working with people needs patience and good approach. The managers i work with they are very much supportive and understanding My coleagues have got a team spirit The most hardest part of my job is when a change in procedures has to be implemented and people have a tendency of resistance to change I enjoy my job becuase everyone honuor me for who i am and what i do and they even call me "comply".

Pros

Company has got voucher cards for bonuses

Cons

12 hour shift

Productive and Safe work Environment

Safety begins with you, either is at work or at home. Time Management Teamwork, Good communication Report every negative issues to your supervisor Attend meetings Working long hours and under pressure Celebrating target reached Transport is always availble to take us from home to work

Pros

Vouchers and Free Braai when target reached

Cons

Long Hours

One of the best companies to work for.

My day starts at 5:30 am with a briefing on what happened at the previous shift. Then we plan for the shift. I learned a variaty of skills as well as to work with people. I am part of management. The people in management are well trained. We work closely together as a team. My slogan is: T.E.A.M = Together everybody achieve more. The hardest part of the job is to do maintenace on the whole plant with 6 artisans. The enyoyable part is the satisfaction of a job well done. To stand back and watch everything working well.

Pros

Bonusses and gifts

Cons

Long hours, dirty environment

Enviroment was very structerd and was pleasant to work at Kumba Iron Ore

My day started off with meetings and planning of daily duties safety procudures and achievments for the day. Everyday was a new learning experience and gaining personal skills and interacting with co-workers form different cultures. The hardest part of the day as a group was meeting deadlines and uplifting demotivated team members. The most enjoyable part of the day was achieving success and receiving positive feedback.

Pros

Incentives

Cons

Punctuality of Co-workers.

Productive & best place to learn

In my current environment, I need to work and think fast without loosing focus of my role when facilitating processes and supporting line management.I have developed in a few areas: collaboration, leading change, inspiring others and business partnering.I do not have the part that I regard as hard.The most enjoyable part of the job is Talent Management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Kumba Iron Ore. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3,8 out of 5 stars for Work/Life Balance