Kumba Iron Ore

Clear
3,8Work-Life Balance
3,6Management

Educational

Good day to day production schedules Good relationships between employees and management Educationally beneficial towards employees Honourable ten golden rules

Pros

Bonuses

Cons

Environment

Bossy management

My colleagues and I struggled with some of the management. For example, when working night shift, one need to end shift 08:00am, but certain managers will force you to stay till 12:00during the day. When making mistakes, or your team makes mistakes,you will be reported at head office, while there were senior management at the premises.

Good Company to work for

You get your calm days and your wild days but I have learned to handle it as they come. Hardest part of the job is to maintain adequate stock as there is a huge fluctuation in demand and at the same time keeping within stock budget. The most enjoyable part is the support you get from management as well as the end users and you learn something new every day.

Dynamic and lesson filled working environment and cohesive team work

Dynamic work environment, where systematic prioritization is one of many ways to ensure that no task suffers as a result of the other. Unplanned critical and urgent tasks are optimally allocated and shred to ensure efficient delivery. Lessons come from daily operations, which include strategic planning in cost constrained environment, while ensuring stakeholder satisfaction. Teamwork has enabled each of the members to achieve individually set performance targets and even to exceed them, due to the efficiency in planning and synergies as well as individual diligence. Working hard and by continuously investigating more efficient yet effective methods of completing tasks, enables one to have adequate time to engage on non-commercial activities, which provide an opportunity to recharge and remain energetic to deliver at optimum levels. Team activities such as walks to grab a cup of coffee as a team, quarterly planning sessions out of office brings a sense of accountability/ownership and takes away the sense of duty. this allows for diligence while enjoying my job. Acknowledgement of good work by management is a great motivation for me, equally constrictive criticism is both value adding and character and career building. Access to management is a cherry on top.

Pros

Continuous lessons on running a multinational business.

Cons

Volatile industry, which requires flexibility to survive.

productive and fun to work for them

i got training in Work Management Planning and working for them is such a blessing.the iron ore dust in the working area is an issue.Most co-workers spaek Afrikaans and i and Learning a bit of it.

Pros

free housing and free flights between Johannesburg and Postmasburg

Cons

the mine is located far away from my family who lives in the free state

Learn a lot

I was a haul truck operator and enjoyed my work I was retrenched in April 2016 I did a basic management course to help you further to become a first line manager sometimes I helped the foreman with basic admin work

Cons

Good Company to work for.

Caucus with Operations Caucus with Team Planning and handing out of jobs Managing a team and myself according toe situations that arise good or bad

Pros

Good benefits

Cons

Cluelesness of management when theres a crisis

Very professional workplace

Good salary, benefits A typical day at work consists of doing surveys, writing reports, attending meetings and giving awareness training to employees. Management was always helpful

Pros

Good salary, benefits

Kumba Iron Ore is a productive and a fun company to work for. Management are always supportive and encouraging their subordinates to excel.

Kumba Iron Ore looked after me for nearly 16 years. I have only good things to say about the company. Management provided a platform for me to grow. I also managed to complete my studies whilst employed at Kumba Iron Ore. The working hours are perfect. It allowed for a balance of work and leisure. Management also allowed me to run a lot of the Wellness programmes of keeping the employees active and healthy. I used to arranged running, walking, spinning teams. This was greatly enjoyed by all levels of management. I would recommend Kumba Iron Ore to any young aspiring professional or Engineering graduate to join the Kumba team. Due to the economic down turn within the broader South African environment and the prices of Iron Ore prices dropping, a number of us were offered the voluntary retrenchment packages. I opted to take the voluntary package. I would go back to Kumba any time if were offered a position again.

Pros

The company provide free cellphone, free lunches and motor vehicle allowances.

Cons

Working hours were great

It is a environment where you may push boundry to the good of all

The best company to work for. Just ensure CEO and management are mining engineers to ensure a good base of decision making.

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Kumba Iron Ore?

productive good work enviroment

always busy,new ways to do testing on plants,good management,friendly co_workers,time schedule,team work as family

Pros

braai fridays

Cons

brake downs

Productive workplace

Kumba is like a family. It is a corporate environment with supportive co-workers and management. Friendly environment.

Pros

Free lunch and parking

Cons

Retrencments

To see your learners becoming artisans and owning own contracts

Typical day - A hearing when my leaners were not at work for five days and I was to tell them they are losing there leaderships. What you leaned - At the workplace, judgements must be done, no matter what the situation may be. Management Well good and understanding Your co-workers -Co-operative, have respect, good communication always helpful. The hardest part of the job -Leaners who don't co-operate. -poor attendance of leaners. -times of audits. (that's natural) The most enjoyable part of the job -To see progress in my learners.

Pros

Vouchers, Thanks giving gifts, Braai, 2l Drinks

Cons

Portable Skills (after hours work), Refresher courses during strikes

a very stiff department, and each his own.

We come to work, prepare our samples for the day, take out the samples, come to the office, do paper work and admin, go to the field and do observations, come back to the office and do more admin and paper work, go and collect the samples, come back to the lab and do post callibrations. Everyday is basically the same, here and there i might learn something new, the management team does not come in to contact with us very often. The hardest part is to come to work and know that people are not reaally friendly and no one would have your back if need be. the most enjoyable part is that we can work out in the field and that i do not have to sit in the office the whole day.

Pros

Medical aid and pension is fairly good.

Cons

not getting paid as we are supposed to, management not listining to suggestions, working arrangements not up to standard

excellent work environment

At work, the day is always fun and the colleagues are so amazing. The culture is enabling as well. There were never the hardest part of my job but it was challenging. Everything i did within my job was enjoyable. I can refer to talent management, job design, pyschometric assessment, performance management, etc.

Pros

Challenges

Cons

Nothing i can highlight

Kumba top 10 employer

Working for Anglo American, Kumba Iron Ore was a high learning curve. Thrown into the deep end with the words. "Fix the problems and establish a SOP" Looking back and at all the improvements I implemented, assisting co-workers and pointing out areas of concern while establishing myself as the leading FBT expert in house. Assisting management to make informed decisions and implement cost savings worth millions for the company is my most enjoyable part of my job.

Pros

Working for the flagship mine in the Kumba group

Cons

Being a contractor and the Iron Ore price free-fall.

Great environment

The position was contract based, we had limited exposure to the company culture and management.

Winning Culture

Kumba Iron Ore Kolomela Mine has a winning and achieving culture firmly embedded. Employees - in general - benefit greatly from a whole host of benefits including performance rewards, share schemes for all employees, approachable management amongst others.

Pros

Winning team, approachable management, great benifits, low stress environment.

Cons

Few and far between.

It was a great learning experience

A typical day at work would include the safety precaution that one was intended to do. I learned that I had an enormous amount of tolerance, and patience. I would have to say that Management was great to deal with, but some Management did not know when to quit taking advantage of one's goodness and kind heart. The most enjoyable part of the job was when we were handling the strike action, and I was a part of that. It fascinated me, because I got the chance to have a hands-on experience.

Pros

New students would get free room and board.

Cons

Permament employees can't seem to find accommodation; they have to have long service years.

Productive and Safe work Environment

Safety begins with you, either is at work or at home. Time Management Teamwork, Good communication Report every negative issues to your supervisor Attend meetings Working long hours and under pressure Celebrating target reached Transport is always availble to take us from home to work

Pros

Vouchers and Free Braai when target reached

Cons

Long Hours

Production and Workspace

Very much enjoyable indeed I have many things such as to be independent in everything you do Whwn coming to management everything was very much appropriate My co-workers are to die for, the people you need to complete a specific task. Working hours were very much strainers especially night shift One friday in a month we did have training day in order to go and refresh our minds

Pros

We didnt have specific time for lunch but we took atleast 20 minutes to eat something.

Cons

We were working twelve hour shift which was very much stranious

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Kumba Iron Ore. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3,8 out of 5 stars for Work/Life Balance