kusile power station
3,7 out of 5 stars.

kusile power station Employee Reviews

It was a good place to work at in the beginning, but now they have taken all the salary benefits of the project away from white collars with any discussion. It was said to be a way to "save" money for the company. Very discouraging.
Work commitment and consistent involvement in the work arena will keep you on the ball and at the top of your game. All team members and colleagues are always willing to assist when approached regarding outputs.
Pros
Office working week.
Cons
Extensive meeting sessions
Everyday was a learning curb but was exciting. We worked hard and safety is Kusile's main priority no short cut when it come to safety. It is good to work here.
Good
Cons
The work required to be undertaken was unfortunately done by unskilled labour supplied by the client. productivity lost due to on the job tutoring. All the products used were specialised for concrete repair having to be used timeously and cleanly something completely foreign to the calabour of staff. The site safety was a problem with the violent strike action of the unions.
We worked from 7-5pm on weekdays and 2 Saturdays / month .All overtime is compensated provided it was agreed prior with Line Managers .Unfortunately work became very cumbersome and boring .Management was very young and in most cases either friends or Family of Senior Managers .They lacked experience but because of the relationship with Mangers they were promoted and guided to key positions and enjoyed permanent positions , bonuses etc MHPSA is great Company with great values and Culture .
The job is filled with uncertainty. I only work night shift. I work for a contractor under Eskom. There is no real guidance on the task at hand. I need to get all information myself.
Kusile power station is the biggest power plant under construction was built until today I've been to this project since 2013 What I like about it: 1- Every dat new challenge 2- Multinational project 3- Best work experience in my life 4- Project gave me a chance to show myself as someone who is reliable to do and handle any type of job
challenging environment with highly educated individuals who are always highly motivated. a very diverse environment with world class technology. one of the largest power station in Africa with the only wet flue gas de-sulphurisation plant.
Being able to work with apprentices and technicians for the first time was challenging however taught me how important it was to have people understanding and also how to work with different people.
Pros
Very broad job description
Cons
Long working hours and weekends
Its a great experience and exposure, familiarize your self with many thing like safety and different materials.The are more opportunities and growth.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
- Secured housing compound provided by employer - Sharing car scheme - Often strikes resulting a day-off - Remuneration is poor - Working hard not working smart - Working on Saturday
Pros
Great place to explore
Cons
High crime rate
You get to learn new things everyday as it is a project environment. You work with different departments therefore acquiring more communication skills and techniques
Sibusiso is a graduate Quantity Surveyor with 3 years’ experience on various construction projects in South Africa. He is responsible for managing project costs, documentation and other valuable deliverables. Overall administration function of projects: Daily diaries, progress, document control, timekeeping. His Communication Skills are excellent with experience in Tender Compilations. He is fully capable working with a Team and insuring good flow of information.
we started this project from the ground up s there was alot of learning taking place. they offered training in your areas and were good when it came to paying bonuses at the end of each production stage
Pros
free lunches and accommodation
Cons
distance from family
Typical day at work • Conducting tool box talk • Prepare my day before commence • Comply deviation report for a day and send to relevant people for close out What I learn • Safe work practice • To engage people on ethical way • Safe come first Management • Good ethical Behavior • Compliance of safe work procedure Hardest part of the job • Time demanding • Employee depending on you, when coming across challenges, like work related challenges • Over work and underpaid Most enjoyable • Consulting people • Being challenge of the org at work place • Working with people
The culture of workers in South Africa are challenging for a productive oriented Construction Manager from the USA. The workers tend to be lax and you have to be sensitive to the culture in order to stay afloat. By developing a hands on good working relationship with all the different contractors I have been able to get more production from my responsible contractors than most.
Pros
The challenge
Cons
Lack of skilled labor available
it was extremely enjoyabe and now i have had much experience to put into my work. The pay was extremely good it made me feel good about myself. I have had no problems or complaints.
Good working experience, good learning curve and for young professionals. Work ethics is superpeb and the leaders are willing to pass on the knowledge to the young people.
Pros
Good overtime benefits
Cons
Long working hours
working till you done skills (develepment) job done managers(want resluts ) good place to work on whena you have to contineu worki till late maintance
Pros
lunch being provided
Cons
more overtime
They are very good they follow rules they respect they workers I've got a lot of experience their I really enjoyable to work their u work with differe
Pros
Free lanches
Cons
7 to 5
Interesting and adventurous work place. Amazing to see how a power station is built from scratch. Everyday at Kusile is different, some days better than others but always learning something new, interacting with people from all over the world. Awesome work environment.
Pros
Good salaries
Cons
Contracts can end unexpectedly, then unemployment