KZN DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION
4,0 out of 5 stars.

KZN DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION Employee Reviews in Durban, KwaZulu-Natal

Durban, KwaZulu-Natal19 reviews

3,8Work-Life Balance

Interesting and life changing work place

My job was my dream. It was fun, learning new things and getting to know other people's behaviors and ideas. It is a wonderful experience to work with developing minds. It was stressful because of too much paperwork and extra time, at the end of the day the salary was very disappointing.

Pros

Sports and cultural activities

Cons

Working at home, during weekends and holidays

Productive And Bearable Workplace

A simple day is a very busy day. From Technical Support to Troubleshooting all the Technical Gadgets from various Schools Around KZN. Running The ICT Security, Facilitating About office 365 and Network Configuration.

Pros

Taking Pictures At The End Of The Day

Cons

Not so Friendly Environment

Productive and fun workplace

•My Training, Education and experience have provided me with a strong background in Education and training sector and in administration.•For the past 8 years I have served in different positions with different working environments and an exposure to different but related sectors mentioned on my work experience, which makes me confident and be assured that I can easily adapt to any work environment and be productive.•I have (in past experience) demonstrated impeccable patience, care, and support in environments that I was working with people. I have also handled all my administration duties with great care and I am not afraid to learn new things, experience new things and new technologies. I am very flexible and impulsive.

Fullfilling . interactive funny

Day Starts y about 07h00 and fimishes around 14h00. When dealing with school children (High School), you learn patience, empathy (some come from extremely poor homes-without Food and torn clothes, but you have treat them the same those who are energetic-had their breakfast or decent meal. some tomes you have to get them food before the day's lessons. You have to assess their work from the background's perspective.i.e you allow for answers to the questions as informed by their sub-culture-as close as possible to the question -set by an examiner who is clueless about their culture or subculture, This is the most difficult part of Teaching, also your teaching pace is set by the children's understanding NOT the Curriculum, hence you have to Teach them after school times and even on Sartuday if they are in grade 10, 11 or 12, Matric results are are reflection on you as the teacher. No parent expects their child NOT to appear National newspaper in January, even if they never known throught the year whether their Child was ready for the Matric examination or not.This is the hardest part of being a Teacher (High School Teacher) but it is a good Challenge an opportunity to do your best to help the nation and make you indelible mark in the lives and mind of our future Leaders. It is very fulfilling to see them to seem later in life -after university or tertiary education when you see them occupying high position in the world of work and they simply greet you with a smile and say" thank you sacrificing for us"

Pros

Contribution to nation building

Cons

No scope of career growth or Salary advancement even if you up-skill yourself.

Interesting challenging work environment

Learning how to take down minutes, compiling reports, dealing with audit queries, invoicing, solving queries amongst the clients, hiring of teachers, dealing with PPN Certificates. I was working with a Deputy Director in both Finance Sector as well as HRSS Sector. The work environment i can say was amazing, we all respected each other and they made sure they explain tasks properly to make it easy for us to execute them properly without missing our deadlines.

I enjoyed every day Great being in the classroom with tomorrows leaders plenty of opportunities to improve your skills - i.e short courses World-class management Hardest was coaching young people who arrived with ZERO Discipline from home

Exciting,rewarding and productive

We had to assist educators in re-checking the scripts. The management is great. The only thing hard about it is the late shifts. But it is very rewarding.

Vibrant working place got to interact with a lot of different people. Enjoyed working as a team with my colleagues.

Check in at work in the morning check the emails prepare for the day. Finish off Yesterday's work if there is any left, users will call in and log calls if it is simple and straight forward I will help them remotely over the phone. I learned a lot such as linking printers, troubleshooting computer problems, Installing computer peripherals. What I enjoyed the most was working as a team with my colleagues and also solving problems. The workplace culture was fun and vibrant and also productive.The Management was great they took care of us very well.The hardest part of the job was when we could not solve the problem on time due to challenges that arose such as new computer software errors.

okay

I only worked there for a few months and my immediate manager was a great person to work for. it was a contract post and i had to find something permanant

Pros

family feel

Cons

salary

Difficult, Demanding, Stressful

It is a high pressure job working to bells/ constant deadlines. At the end of the day in the classroom, you are then involved in extra curricular activities. After that you mark all the work of the day and prepare your lessons for the next day. Marking is very depressing and unrewarding. Preparation and teaching is very enjoyable. The hardest part of the job is not ever being finished with your work - there is constantly something that needs to be done without sufficient time in the day to do it. I do not enjoy working under pressure which is why I loved my work at RADMASTE. It offered more of the enjoyable part and less of the unrewarding part.

Pros

Holidays

Cons

Very long and extremely demanding hours

Intensive but easy to adapt environment

Typical day at work consisted of going through approximately 600 exam scripts a day, checking for errors and ensuring that marks provided on each candidate exam's scripts are legit.I learned a lot about team work an working with different characters in the work place because of the work hours that were long and the nature of the work that allowed for co workers to make sure the number of scripts checked per day are met. The best part of the job is knowing that at the end of each exam marking session, before marks are released, one was responsible for the accuracy of matric candidates results. The hardest part was knowing that failing to precisely check marking of exam scripts could jeopardize the future of a matric candidate.

Pros

free breakfast, lunch and supper

Cons

Working for the Education Department was great because I qualified for all the benefits

1. Job satisfaction- must have a good employer and employee relationship relating to work. 2..Understanding and completing work timeously. 3. Being prompt at all times. 4, I really enjoyed what I did. 5. Work hard to achieve goals and targets on time.

Pros

Convenient and easy to go to work. Finish work at a convenient time

Cons

Travelling in traffic was sometimes the delay in getting to work on time.

stressful and demanding

my typical day involves contact with learners through teaching, contact with educators to monitor their work, contact with the school management team for smooth running of the institution. the hardest part of the job is to get learners to cooperate nad to urge educators to meet deadlines the most enjoyable part is the extra currular activities and good academic results

Pros

Cons

long hours, no overtime pay

Very productive and enjoyable to change the lives of the young ones

In the morning will have staff briefing form the Management on the business of the day then will receive learners in class, check attendance register and conduct prayers. Then I will go and teach in different classes as reflected in my time table. At break time will supervise my class to ensure that every learner gets his/her meal from our feeding scheme after their meal will do playground supervision. I will have my lunch during my free period. In the afternoon before we depart we will have short meeting to assess days work. The hardest part of the job includes the lack of parental involvement and lack of disciple to some of our learners as well lack of commitment in some of my co-workers and indecisiveness on the part of management. The most enjoyable part is when you meet your former learners and thanking you for your contribution to their lives. It is very heart-warming to realise that somebody out there acknowledges your contribution in his/her life.

First day standing in front of learners was difficult. I have learned to work with others as a team. Sound leadership, motivation and organizaion skills. Develop capacity wiyhin staff through meetings. The hardest part of the job is to do the work schedules. The enjoyable part of the job is to see learners prospering each and everyday.

Pros

Nutrition

work environment

staff is friendly working environment is good too, managers take their work seriously there is a divestiture

Good working environment

My work doesn't challenge me enough i feel i can do more then what i am currently doing

Very fulfilling job

The school was in an informal settlement and serving a very poor community. Every day of the week had it own challege ranging from learners not arriving on time to security guard no reporting for duty etc. The management team was deeply divided, they seemed not to be working as a team, otherwise the morale was very high amongst the staff. The haderst part was the lack of resources and basic teaching aids. The most enjoyable part was seing learners passing with distinction the suject that I thought.

Interesting and productive day. I have learned to adapt to change and to work with diverse people. Management is supportive and provides a vivid management plan. We work as a team with my co-workers. The hardest part of the job is when with delinquents in the class and learners who are under substance abuse. The most enjoyable part of the job is to achieve a quality 100% pass of my learner.

Pros

no free lunch

Cons

7 hrs per day and 365 days

Ask a question about working or interviewing at KZN DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3,8 out of 5 stars for Work/Life Balance