Legal Aid South Africa

Legal Aid South Africa Employee Reviews

South Africa101 reviews
4,0
1st they work as group I learned a lot from them.Managegement of them is very good they give you chance of attending trainings and you need to apply t
4,0
One must be ready to work extra hard, there is a lot of administrative work and driving to court, one should also be multilingual and be able to communicate with the indegent
4,0
I came to Legal Aid South Africa as an intern in administrative unit. I got an opportunity to work with professionals who understood that I was there to learn. And because of that I learned fast that I got the permanent post advertised there.
5,0
The experience I got as a candidate attorney was immeasurable. I had the opportunity of leaving legal Aid as an admitted attorney and wouldn’t mind working for the institution again.
Pros
It’s a great working environment
5,0
I served articles at Legal Aid SA. Thereafter entered into a short term contract in the Civil department. Excellent organization to gain experience and exposure. Would definitely recommend.
5,0
Diversity, hands on management and training provided when needed. Friendly staff and the staff is always willing to assist you in complex cases. Management engage you on morning case discussion should CA's have complex matters in which they need help with.
4,0
Amazing company lots of training and criminal and civil litigation experience. Company also assists candidate attorney with preparation for the attorneys admission exams
Pros
Training, experience
Cons
Workload, pressure
5,0
Effective management strategies. Development opportunities. Clients service professionals and experts in criminal and civil litigation. Fast paced and deadline motivated.
5,0
Legal Aid South Africa involved daily court attendance and administration of files , one had to balance court roll.with office administration on a daily basis. Even though there was so much work ,.it still gets done properly due to excellent management who always made sure we're up to date with our work.
4,0
Remuneration is linked to OSD and information is freely available. Great systems support for legal research and problem solving. Great mentorship programme by senior attorneys. Litigation is impactful and satisfying.
4,0
My experience at Legal Aid was nothing short of just being amazing!! The culture of the organisation is a very friendly close knitted family-like environment where practitioners are there to assist one another. The development and training/mentoring programmes that are employed at the organisation help immensely with the growth of an individual as a practicing attorney.

You can expect to have a lot of files as each practitioner mans their own court, so you would have to polish up on your organisation and administrative skills in order to have smooth flowing court roll for those files assigned in your court. Management personnel have an open door policy so you can always approach any of the senior practitioners to assist when you are stuck with a matter, although you also do have an assigned senior mentor who is basically there to assist you.

Even though it is a lot of work and you are sometimes inclined to take some work home with you in order to prepare for the following day's trials, be that as it may you can trust that you will be adequately remunerated for that volume of work.

The only down side is that you will not get much Civil exposure, so prospects of you finding employment in civil practice after articling at LASA are very minimal as you would not be bringing with you much skill set or experience in that area of the law.
4,0
I work at legal aid south africa as intern i real enjoy to work with them while at times might be very difficult to work with people how does not care about your situation but i learnt a lot from that company the only thing i like to work at legal aid there is alot of work from different depertemnt that a good thing because it gives a lot of experience to work different posetions
5,0
the team spirit, management were involved and team players. fairness. they focused on the bigger picture; teaching the candidate the law. they were very supportive.
Pros
team building
4,0
management is disorganized, and its difficult for organised person to work with disorganized management. Candidate attorneys are overworked and there is no mentor-ship.
4,0
They prioritise teamwork they are very good in team building.
Legal aid is a leader in provision of accessibility,ethical and independent legal service to poor.

They have excelence service

Passion for justice and protecting of human rights. And lastly legal aid ensures justice and better life for all.
5,0
My litigation passion and skills always enhanced while I help the rest of the vulnerable poor people, cause being vulnerable does not only mean one is vulnerable from authorities but the fact that one is poor and uneducated makes them vulnerable. Thus an employer by the people for the people with the people, that is Legal Aid South Africa
Pros
Tranings
Cons
Long Hours
5,0
its very enjoyable to work at legal-aid they give a great services to clients and walk-in. we work as team, respect each other follow the policies of legal-aid
4,0
The part of my duties was to defend client to the best that I can, providing quality services to them. With that I had to give sound advice in law, therefore give a critical analysis of the facts, summarize and extract the good and bad facts. Majority of my duties was done at court. However, there was also an administrative part to it. All advice given, consultation done, pending matters, trials done and pleas & admissions done and was reduced to writing. This was a way of showing accountability of the work that I as a practitioner took. For four days I would be at court conducting postponements, trials, pleas and bail applications, among other things. The other day would be spent at the office and be used as a consultation day, prison day or a civil day. Much to say, the job itself is well rounded
Pros
Community activities
Cons
Work load
5,0
Legal aid is a place that empowers and has a lot of work. There is job security but administration is too much for an attorney who works for a firm not a sole practitioner. The rights of an accused are taken soo highly sometimes to the detriment of the employee. They have a nice work environment.
Pros
Litigation skills are sharpened
Cons
One dimensional attorney
5,0
They should employ more Attorneys because Mthatha Branch is a very big branch with lot of courts under it. Legal aid should not most focus on Criminal matters.
5,0
I had the opportunity to work with the best attorneys in South Africa. They are excellent teachers and mentors. I never experienced a better team. I would work there again in a heartbeat. Unfortunately, the internship was for a limited time.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Legal Aid South Africa. Our community is ready to answer.
4,3