Legal Aid South Africa
4,3 out of 5 stars.

Legal Aid South Africa Employee Reviews

South Africa115 reviews

4,0Work-Life Balance

Great place to gain experience

I learnt a lot during my two years of Articles. Work load is a lot but you can manage . Didn’t like the fact that I can’t choose my clients but you leave the with great Criminal law experience.

Pros

Salary and expeey

Cons

Work load and pressure

You’ll learn quickly and litigation driven.

Client based interactions. Demanding clients. Boost your confidence. Litigation based. Long working hours. Support from Management. Decent salary. Somewhat of a company culture

Pros

You will learn all the basics of litigation and some civil work

Cons

One on one client interaction.

Best Employer

Great culture, integrity, living the best values and characterised by respect for human dignity.For more than fifteen years now, the organization has received unqualified audits consecutively

Challenging

A lot of favouritism from the supervisors. So much independence, whatever you learn, 70% of the time you teach yourself. Stressful, you learn alot as you deal with a high volume of cases. Not for the faint hearted. Lovely pay

I would really love to go back and work for Legal Aid,its challenging and interesting

You learn on the job ,not much supervision,you learn to think on your toes and problem solving techniques.Colleagues and management are friendly,its a nice working environment. Its very challenging and much interesting at the same time. Drinks on friday after work are half price and they throw the best end of the year parties. Dedicated to team building.

Productive fast paced environment

A very important place to learn and get used to the court environment although you only get exposed to criminal litigation. After signing your contract you spend 2 months doing court observation then from there you can start working. On Fridays you get back early from court then you work on drafting of documents eg summons. It’s a very healthy environment also the salary is good compared to what others get in private practice.

Productive and progressing work place

Being able to do different courts, from criminal, civil, children's court and all related matters provides one with great leadership abilities and strong work ethic.

Great working environment.

Great culture, you will gain excellent experience. It can be very stressful and a heavy workload, but you manage to juggle everything. overall you will enjoy working there.

Pros

great salary

Cons

heavy workload

Best place to grow your career and learn at entry level

Fast paced environment you either adapt or die of work. Do thorough research and consultation before trial. Management is always checking files to ensure that you understand work.

Pros

Learn a lot

Cons

Fast paced

Productive and exciting workspace.

It's a good experience for candidate attorneys. You attend court everyday. You are trained mostly in criminal law litigation with very limited civil work. There are trainings that are conducted for C. As. The hours are long.

High paced.

You will break down n come up better with legal aid u will reach potential from within that u didn't even know u had. Best place to perfect your litigation skills. Thinking on your feet and all

Cons

Too much admin

Relaxed and professional environment

It was an amazing experience having worked with friendly and team playing colleagues and it wasn't too formal it was fun and relaxed environment to work in.

Pros

Long lunch hour

Cons

Working with long ques

Trained well. Experience team of PA willing to assist candidate on case discussion.

I had a wonderful time working at Legal aid. Experience gained and confidence.Best place to learn, deal with elderly and valnerable.Learn to work under pressure.

Pros

Non

Collaborative Environment

Great place for candidate attorneys to apply theory in practice. Though Legal-Aid focuses on criminal work, a request to gain Civil Litigation experience may be lodged.

Pros

Bonus and yearly salary increase

Cons

Workload may become unbearable

Good

1st they work as group I learned a lot from them.Managegement of them is very good they give you chance of attending trainings and you need to apply t

It is great way to learn

One must be ready to work extra hard, there is a lot of administrative work and driving to court, one should also be multilingual and be able to communicate with the indegent

Good for learning on the job

I came to Legal Aid South Africa as an intern in administrative unit. I got an opportunity to work with professionals who understood that I was there to learn. And because of that I learned fast that I got the permanent post advertised there.

I enjoyed working at Legal Aid

The experience I got as a candidate attorney was immeasurable. I had the opportunity of leaving legal Aid as an admitted attorney and wouldn’t mind working for the institution again.

Pros

It’s a great working environment

Invaluable experience and exposure

I served articles at Legal Aid SA. Thereafter entered into a short term contract in the Civil department. Excellent organization to gain experience and exposure. Would definitely recommend.

Excellent environment

Diversity, hands on management and training provided when needed. Friendly staff and the staff is always willing to assist you in complex cases. Management engage you on morning case discussion should CA's have complex matters in which they need help with.

Best employer for practical experience

Amazing company lots of training and criminal and civil litigation experience. Company also assists candidate attorney with preparation for the attorneys admission exams

Pros

Training, experience

Cons

Workload, pressure

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Legal Aid South Africa. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4,0 out of 5 stars for Work/Life Balance
4,0 out of 5 stars for Salary/Benefits
3,7 out of 5 stars for Job Security/Advancement
4,0 out of 5 stars for Management
4,2 out of 5 stars for Culture
  • Legal Aid South Africa
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?