Legal Aid South Africa

Legal Aid South Africa Employee Reviews

Best place to grow your career and learn at entry level

Fast paced environment you either adapt or die of work. Do thorough research and consultation before trial. Management is always checking files to ensure that you understand work.

Pros

Learn a lot

Cons

Fast paced

Productive and exciting workspace.

It's a good experience for candidate attorneys. You attend court everyday. You are trained mostly in criminal law litigation with very limited civil work. There are trainings that are conducted for C. As. The hours are long.

High paced.

You will break down n come up better with legal aid u will reach potential from within that u didn't even know u had. Best place to perfect your litigation skills. Thinking on your feet and all

Cons

Too much admin

Relaxed and professional environment

It was an amazing experience having worked with friendly and team playing colleagues and it wasn't too formal it was fun and relaxed environment to work in.

Pros

Long lunch hour

Cons

Working with long ques

Trained well. Experience team of PA willing to assist candidate on case discussion.

I had a wonderful time working at Legal aid. Experience gained and confidence.Best place to learn, deal with elderly and valnerable.Learn to work under pressure.

Pros

Non

Collaborative Environment

Great place for candidate attorneys to apply theory in practice. Though Legal-Aid focuses on criminal work, a request to gain Civil Litigation experience may be lodged.

Pros

Bonus and yearly salary increase

Cons

Workload may become unbearable

Good

1st they work as group I learned a lot from them.Managegement of them is very good they give you chance of attending trainings and you need to apply t

It is great way to learn

One must be ready to work extra hard, there is a lot of administrative work and driving to court, one should also be multilingual and be able to communicate with the indegent

Good for learning on the job

I came to Legal Aid South Africa as an intern in administrative unit. I got an opportunity to work with professionals who understood that I was there to learn. And because of that I learned fast that I got the permanent post advertised there.

I enjoyed working at Legal Aid

The experience I got as a candidate attorney was immeasurable. I had the opportunity of leaving legal Aid as an admitted attorney and wouldn’t mind working for the institution again.

Pros

It’s a great working environment

Cons

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Legal Aid South Africa?

Invaluable experience and exposure

I served articles at Legal Aid SA. Thereafter entered into a short term contract in the Civil department. Excellent organization to gain experience and exposure. Would definitely recommend.

Excellent environment

Diversity, hands on management and training provided when needed. Friendly staff and the staff is always willing to assist you in complex cases. Management engage you on morning case discussion should CA's have complex matters in which they need help with.

Best employer for practical experience

Amazing company lots of training and criminal and civil litigation experience. Company also assists candidate attorney with preparation for the attorneys admission exams

Pros

Training, experience

Cons

Workload, pressure

Great work environment and client oriented.

Effective management strategies. Development opportunities. Clients service professionals and experts in criminal and civil litigation. Fast paced and deadline motivated.

Fastpace yet productive working environment

Legal Aid South Africa involved daily court attendance and administration of files , one had to balance court roll.with office administration on a daily basis. Even though there was so much work ,.it still gets done properly due to excellent management who always made sure we're up to date with our work.

Productive and fun work place

Remuneration is linked to OSD and information is freely available. Great systems support for legal research and problem solving. Great mentorship programme by senior attorneys. Litigation is impactful and satisfying.

Fun workplace whilst also educational with a lot of room for growth

My experience at Legal Aid was nothing short of just being amazing!! The culture of the organisation is a very friendly close knitted family-like environment where practitioners are there to assist one another. The development and training/mentoring programmes that are employed at the organisation help immensely with the growth of an individual as a practicing attorney. You can expect to have a lot of files as each practitioner mans their own court, so you would have to polish up on your organisation and administrative skills in order to have smooth flowing court roll for those files assigned in your court. Management personnel have an open door policy so you can always approach any of the senior practitioners to assist when you are stuck with a matter, although you also do have an assigned senior mentor who is basically there to assist you. Even though it is a lot of work and you are sometimes inclined to take some work home with you in order to prepare for the following day's trials, be that as it may you can trust that you will be adequately remunerated for that volume of work. The only down side is that you will not get much Civil exposure, so prospects of you finding employment in civil practice after articling at LASA are very minimal as you would not be bringing with you much skill set or experience in that area of the law.

I need any job

I work at legal aid south africa as intern i real enjoy to work with them while at times might be very difficult to work with people how does not care about your situation but i learnt a lot from that company the only thing i like to work at legal aid there is alot of work from different depertemnt that a good thing because it gives a lot of experience to work different posetions

productive nad fun

the team spirit, management were involved and team players. fairness. they focused on the bigger picture; teaching the candidate the law. they were very supportive.

Pros

team building

Cons

candidate attorneys are overworked and there is no mentorship

management is disorganized, and its difficult for organised person to work with disorganized management. Candidate attorneys are overworked and there is no mentor-ship.

They is a lot of things to learn at legal aid such as teamworking, providing free legal service to poor and vurnable.

They prioritise teamwork they are very good in team building. Legal aid is a leader in provision of accessibility,ethical and independent legal service to poor. They have excelence service Passion for justice and protecting of human rights. And lastly legal aid ensures justice and better life for all.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Legal Aid South Africa. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.3