Legal Aid South Africa

Legal Aid South Africa Culture reviews

South Africa107 reviews

Clear

Excellent environment

Diversity, hands on management and training provided when needed. Friendly staff and the staff is always willing to assist you in complex cases. Management engage you on morning case discussion should CA's have complex matters in which they need help with.

Fun workplace whilst also educational with a lot of room for growth

My experience at Legal Aid was nothing short of just being amazing!! The culture of the organisation is a very friendly close knitted family-like environment where practitioners are there to assist one another. The development and training/mentoring programmes that are employed at the organisation help immensely with the growth of an individual as a practicing attorney. You can expect to have a lot of files as each practitioner mans their own court, so you would have to polish up on your organisation and administrative skills in order to have smooth flowing court roll for those files assigned in your court. Management personnel have an open door policy so you can always approach any of the senior practitioners to assist when you are stuck with a matter, although you also do have an assigned senior mentor who is basically there to assist you. Even though it is a lot of work and you are sometimes inclined to take some work home with you in order to prepare for the following day's trials, be that as it may you can trust that you will be adequately remunerated for that volume of work. The only down side is that you will not get much Civil exposure, so prospects of you finding employment in civil practice after articling at LASA are very minimal as you would not be bringing with you much skill set or experience in that area of the law.

productive nad fun

the team spirit, management were involved and team players. fairness. they focused on the bigger picture; teaching the candidate the law. they were very supportive.

Pros

team building

Cons

Productive and fun in the workplace

I worked in Legal Aid as a Criminal Attorney ,representing Clients in courtn for four days a week as Friday it was a separate day for consultations with clients and for one to research for cases of the following week. Each month end one was expected to do a monthly report of the work he has done in the previous month.The was also monthly training one was expected to attend each monthend different topics were presented by practitioners. I learnt a lot as I worked with different individuals some were new and some had been in the legal field for some time. I further learnt to work under any type of environment and to meet dead lines each month as such was expected of me. Values of the company one each day had to uphold one of those values was the spirit of Ubuntu, I worked with disadvantaged communities who had nothing but most of all rested their faith in us for justice to be done not only to be seen to be done. Culture in the work place was overwhelming as all members of my team were always available to assist when there was a need, we further had team buildings to help us and encourage us not only to know about each other in the work place but also outside of work. Hardest part I would say was the fact that one had to travel outside as some of us operated outside courts where you had to leave the office at 7 oclock in the morning so as to be early in court and coming back to the office after hours and you were expected to be ready for the following day to present your cases the following day in court. Even though it was not hard as such as one was doing something -

Pros

Free launch at times

excellent work place

I enjoy working for Legal Aid. my typical day at work is preparing for court in the mornings and leaving for court. I am in court for most of the day. I work at the District court. I have learnt litigation skills, oral and written communication skills. I have excellent management and I have learnt a lot from my manager. the workplace has a beautiful culture. I enjoy my job because I have mastered the art of litigation.

Pros

exposure to both civil and criminal matters

Cons

long court hours

Productive and meaningful

Good company to work in. The staff is friendly and the objectives are clearly set. There is a room for development and inhouse trainings are conducted by experts of industries

High performing sustainable organisation

High performing sustainable organisation with excellent track record of good corporate governance and financial management. This is supported by good HR practices and organizational culture which resulted in the organisation being accredited as one of the best employers in the country.

Pros

Good remuneration package

Best place to do articles of clerkship

Tough work environment. Best learning experience. Admin admin admin. Good salary. Meet new people. You will work under immense pressure. You will deal with many different stakeholders.

fun and productive

Working for that Organization was a great learning experience I learned a lot of things that I will now use on any working environment. You meet people from different backgrounds, culture and nationality and you learn how they live, eat and do things. That is quite fun and exciting. Every month we take part in different activities as employees and employers that will make us get to know each other outside of work and we also do events and outreaches. The most enjoyable part of the job was going to court and helping people who are disadvantaged. The hardest part of the Job will be dealing with a difficult case. The management were good, they helped us and supervised our daily case management and offered assistance when needed

Pros

good management

Cons

good working hours

great work experience and environment

great work environment and the seniors are very accommodating. great court experience and confidence boosting. an exceptional experience as a candidate attorney.

Pros

court experience and interactive workshops with other justice centres

Cons

less civil focus

Very productive and fun

I have learned to be independent and manage my work properly. The work place accommodate diverse cultures. The job is very challenging and enjoyable .

Pros

Knocking off early on Fridays

Cons

Working on some Saturdays

Skills Development

I went in as an unpolished graduate and left with sufficient legal skills to now successfully compete in the working environment. I learned not only legal culture but business culture as well as admin skills

Pros

Training

Productive and output driven environment

LASA is a very high paced institution with large volumes of work that required good planning and organising skills.The corporate culture of the organisation is very professional, with more customer focus and quality driven. Most enjoyable part was to ensure that the organisation has rendered efficient and good quality service for the benefit of the vulnerable and disadvantaged people. I have learnt and improved in time management as the organisation is output and deadline driven without compromising the quality.

Too much work

The office culture was great, however you were expected to be in court all day and at the end of the day get to the office for admin work with slow computers that would freeze all the time. But generally, it was a great place to practice law and very rewarding when you get a good conviction. And there were always senior colleagues eager to assist. my biggest problem and everyone's problem with them is they keep you to do your articles then you have to leave to gain experience elsewhere before you can advance to the next level because it requires 5 more year experience.

Pros

Making a difference in someone's life

Cons

The working environment and dynamic

The organisation is one focused on the assistance of the disadvantaged and incapable margins of society. The practise of humanity and empowerment is the daily practise, along with provision of high quality legal services. The environment is highly interactive and upbeat. The is a strong sense of comradery and family with each member of the team assisting and supporting the team in order to achieve the bigger objective, providing a high quality legal service.

Pros

Salary package and job security

Cons

high workload and stress

It been good working with the Legal Aid Staff company as they taught me lot of productive experience of being in the work place, they got such friendly and easily to communicate with staff.

Pros

Team Buildings

Cons

Long Hours

Fun working environment

I enjoyed helping hopeless people , old and moneyless people, it was really giving back to the community without expecting money in return. WORKING as a team and under supervision

Pros

Team building outings for fun

Cons

Surterday training

productive and helpful within our department.

it was wonderful. i learnt how to be social and how important team building is.Management was willing to be helpful.It was overrated.The hardest was the timing.socializing and been given time to know or talk to the lawyers.

Pros

hard work always

Cons

taking breaks here and there

Professional and driven environment

The Civil Unit focuses on service delivery in respect of upholding individual rights as contained in the Bill of Rights. As such it entails a high degree of client focus in service delivery. The hardest part of the job is thus declining legal assistance due to poor prospects of success on assessment of the merits of the case. The most enjoyable part of the job is exposure to various different types of civil matters litigated in the High Court. The management and overall workplace culture focuses on accountability and transparency regulated by an internal capturing system that requires daily updates online.

Pros

Invaluable Experience

Cons

Excessive Work Load

Exceptional Learning experience

An exceptional learning experience when it comes to court practice, court rules and the adversarial system of our law. Your colleagues also provide valuable support in cases and research.

Pros

Cons

Bureaucracy

Productive Workplace

It is a great place to work and gain experience. The people are helpful and the atmosphere is encompassing. Volunteers are given an opportunity to uplift themselves in many legal settings.

Pros

great exposure

Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Legal Aid South Africa. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.3

4.2
  • Legal Aid South Africa
  • Culture
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?