Legal Aid South Africa

Legal Aid South Africa Management reviews

South Africa107 reviews

Clear

Best place to grow your career and learn at entry level

Fast paced environment you either adapt or die of work. Do thorough research and consultation before trial. Management is always checking files to ensure that you understand work.

Pros

Learn a lot

Cons

Fast paced

Excellent environment

Diversity, hands on management and training provided when needed. Friendly staff and the staff is always willing to assist you in complex cases. Management engage you on morning case discussion should CA's have complex matters in which they need help with.

Great work environment and client oriented.

Effective management strategies. Development opportunities. Clients service professionals and experts in criminal and civil litigation. Fast paced and deadline motivated.

Fastpace yet productive working environment

Legal Aid South Africa involved daily court attendance and administration of files , one had to balance court roll.with office administration on a daily basis. Even though there was so much work ,.it still gets done properly due to excellent management who always made sure we're up to date with our work.

Fun workplace whilst also educational with a lot of room for growth

My experience at Legal Aid was nothing short of just being amazing!! The culture of the organisation is a very friendly close knitted family-like environment where practitioners are there to assist one another. The development and training/mentoring programmes that are employed at the organisation help immensely with the growth of an individual as a practicing attorney. You can expect to have a lot of files as each practitioner mans their own court, so you would have to polish up on your organisation and administrative skills in order to have smooth flowing court roll for those files assigned in your court. Management personnel have an open door policy so you can always approach any of the senior practitioners to assist when you are stuck with a matter, although you also do have an assigned senior mentor who is basically there to assist you. Even though it is a lot of work and you are sometimes inclined to take some work home with you in order to prepare for the following day's trials, be that as it may you can trust that you will be adequately remunerated for that volume of work. The only down side is that you will not get much Civil exposure, so prospects of you finding employment in civil practice after articling at LASA are very minimal as you would not be bringing with you much skill set or experience in that area of the law.

productive nad fun

the team spirit, management were involved and team players. fairness. they focused on the bigger picture; teaching the candidate the law. they were very supportive.

Pros

team building

Cons

candidate attorneys are overworked and there is no mentorship

management is disorganized, and its difficult for organised person to work with disorganized management. Candidate attorneys are overworked and there is no mentor-ship.

excellent work place

I enjoy working for Legal Aid. my typical day at work is preparing for court in the mornings and leaving for court. I am in court for most of the day. I work at the District court. I have learnt litigation skills, oral and written communication skills. I have excellent management and I have learnt a lot from my manager. the workplace has a beautiful culture. I enjoy my job because I have mastered the art of litigation.

Pros

exposure to both civil and criminal matters

Cons

long court hours

Great workplace for learning and advancing one's career.

Legal Aid is a great learning environment. It is the fast paced environment in which you always have to be on your game, but also helps in terms of getting used to meeting deadlines and achieving daily mandates The management is great and patient towards interns, which is great as its their first time entering a work environment. I enjoy my daily mandates which includes consulting with clients and advising them on legal matters especially civil matters as am mostly placed there.

Pros

Great learning environment

Cons

No stipend

High performing sustainable organisation

High performing sustainable organisation with excellent track record of good corporate governance and financial management. This is supported by good HR practices and organizational culture which resulted in the organisation being accredited as one of the best employers in the country.

Pros

Good remuneration package

Regional Court Trial Attorney

Court attendance Tuesday to Friday Office/consultations on Mondays Handle pressure under difficult circumstances. Case flow management Open door No emotion Helping innocent people

Pros

Gained valuable skills and experience dealing with serious matters

fun and productive

Working for that Organization was a great learning experience I learned a lot of things that I will now use on any working environment. You meet people from different backgrounds, culture and nationality and you learn how they live, eat and do things. That is quite fun and exciting. Every month we take part in different activities as employees and employers that will make us get to know each other outside of work and we also do events and outreaches. The most enjoyable part of the job was going to court and helping people who are disadvantaged. The hardest part of the Job will be dealing with a difficult case. The management were good, they helped us and supervised our daily case management and offered assistance when needed

Pros

good management

Cons

good working hours

My stay at the Legal Aid was brief but interesting.

Legal aid board provides legal assistance to indigent people in South Africa. Thus the volume of work is quite high and quality is compromised. However, for those who can perform under pressure the legal aid board presents an opportunity for them to thrive.

Pros

Exposure to various areas of the law

Cons

Lack of guidance by the managers and high volume of work

productive. fun

Stuff is united. Management supports employees. Development in your line of duty is encouraged. The company gives training to their stuff so as to ensure good performance

Productive and output driven environment

LASA is a very high paced institution with large volumes of work that required good planning and organising skills.The corporate culture of the organisation is very professional, with more customer focus and quality driven. Most enjoyable part was to ensure that the organisation has rendered efficient and good quality service for the benefit of the vulnerable and disadvantaged people. I have learnt and improved in time management as the organisation is output and deadline driven without compromising the quality.

An amazing organisation to work for.

Legal Aid deliver free legal services to the indigent members of the community. I was fortunate to expand my knowledge of civil litigation tremendously as I was exposed to various types of cases. I had understanding and capable management. The hardest part of the job was the workload as the need for legal services to the poor are tremendous. The most enjoyable part of the job is to have a satisfied client and able to assist a client who would not have access otherwise access to legal services.

Pros

Extra required training

Cons

High workload

Productive and fun workplace

A very good working environment. A lot to learn from and vast opportunities for growth. Management - We call them it Leadership, as they are a very powerful pack. Diversity is recognized while balancing work-life, keeping to the organizational objectives. No hardest part expect that a person is expected to work hard and go extra mile if need be. Most enjoyable when employees gather ideas on month-end meetings. Ideas that push the organization toward its objectives.

Pros

Specified lunch times. Company suports the humanistic environment.

Cons

Set working hours, however employees go an extra mile to

Productive and fun stimulating environment

Won the employer of choice award. I joined the firm as an article clerk serving an internship for two years and four months. I really enjoyed working with my colleagues from junior to senior. I was introduced to litigation by this firm. I worked as a criminal defense lawyer. My typical day included consulting with clients, dispensing advice, drafting documents, litigation and proper update of statistics. I was fortunate to be in a position where I could learn from my senior colleagues. The management team is one of the best I have encountered thus far.

Pros

Self discipline and friendly environment

Cons

Fixed term contract

productive and helpful within our department.

it was wonderful. i learnt how to be social and how important team building is.Management was willing to be helpful.It was overrated.The hardest was the timing.socializing and been given time to know or talk to the lawyers.

Pros

hard work always

Cons

taking breaks here and there

Professional and driven environment

The Civil Unit focuses on service delivery in respect of upholding individual rights as contained in the Bill of Rights. As such it entails a high degree of client focus in service delivery. The hardest part of the job is thus declining legal assistance due to poor prospects of success on assessment of the merits of the case. The most enjoyable part of the job is exposure to various different types of civil matters litigated in the High Court. The management and overall workplace culture focuses on accountability and transparency regulated by an internal capturing system that requires daily updates online.

Pros

Invaluable Experience

Cons

Excessive Work Load

Leak of leadership

Time management it's very important in a courier company, respect and hardworking. It was a learning curve as it was my first real job. The staff was very helpful, well trained . The management of the company trusted me well because of hard working.

Pros

Free lunch

Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Legal Aid South Africa. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.3