Legal Aid South Africa

Legal Aid South Africa Work-Life Balance reviews

South Africa107 reviews

Clear
4.0Pay & Benefits

Trained well. Experience team of PA willing to assist candidate on case discussion.

I had a wonderful time working at Legal aid. Experience gained and confidence.Best place to learn, deal with elderly and valnerable.Learn to work under pressure.

Pros

Non

Cons

It is great way to learn

One must be ready to work extra hard, there is a lot of administrative work and driving to court, one should also be multilingual and be able to communicate with the indegent

productive nad fun

the team spirit, management were involved and team players. fairness. they focused on the bigger picture; teaching the candidate the law. they were very supportive.

Pros

team building

Cons

The ability to apply your mind and help the community while doing what you are most passionate about.

My litigation passion and skills always enhanced while I help the rest of the vulnerable poor people, cause being vulnerable does not only mean one is vulnerable from authorities but the fact that one is poor and uneducated makes them vulnerable. Thus an employer by the people for the people with the people, that is Legal Aid South Africa

Pros

Tranings

Cons

Long Hours

Productive and fun in the workplace

I worked in Legal Aid as a Criminal Attorney ,representing Clients in courtn for four days a week as Friday it was a separate day for consultations with clients and for one to research for cases of the following week. Each month end one was expected to do a monthly report of the work he has done in the previous month.The was also monthly training one was expected to attend each monthend different topics were presented by practitioners. I learnt a lot as I worked with different individuals some were new and some had been in the legal field for some time. I further learnt to work under any type of environment and to meet dead lines each month as such was expected of me. Values of the company one each day had to uphold one of those values was the spirit of Ubuntu, I worked with disadvantaged communities who had nothing but most of all rested their faith in us for justice to be done not only to be seen to be done. Culture in the work place was overwhelming as all members of my team were always available to assist when there was a need, we further had team buildings to help us and encourage us not only to know about each other in the work place but also outside of work. Hardest part I would say was the fact that one had to travel outside as some of us operated outside courts where you had to leave the office at 7 oclock in the morning so as to be early in court and coming back to the office after hours and you were expected to be ready for the following day to present your cases the following day in court. Even though it was not hard as such as one was doing something -

Pros

Free launch at times

Cons

productive high intense work place

It varies depending the court that you are assigned to, some offices do not have a lot of work but the big offices are work load heavy. you do a lot of administration and that takes you time away from preparing for court.

Regional Court Trial Attorney

Court attendance Tuesday to Friday Office/consultations on Mondays Handle pressure under difficult circumstances. Case flow management Open door No emotion Helping innocent people

Pros

Gained valuable skills and experience dealing with serious matters

Cons

Work requires high level of focus and hard work. Ability to meet dead lines and work extra hours. Ability to do research and give immediate outcome of result,either by presentation and or litigation Required constant negotiations with other stake holders.Very interesting never a dull moment.

Pros

Interesting working with people

Cons

Working after hours

Supportive Enviroment

This is an extremely great company to work for, especially if you are starting off in your legal career. This company gives you maximum exposure, with maximum support.

You have to be in it with your whole heart

The work is not for the faint at heart.You have to be able to deal with a different variety of people and you need to think on your feet.Your ability to judge a situation and react quickly must be sharp.

Pros

Excelent litigation experience

Too much work

The office culture was great, however you were expected to be in court all day and at the end of the day get to the office for admin work with slow computers that would freeze all the time. But generally, it was a great place to practice law and very rewarding when you get a good conviction. And there were always senior colleagues eager to assist. my biggest problem and everyone's problem with them is they keep you to do your articles then you have to leave to gain experience elsewhere before you can advance to the next level because it requires 5 more year experience.

Pros

Making a difference in someone's life

Cons

Great place to work if you want to make a difference in the lives of ordinary people who cannot afford quality legal representation. Sometimes you can even see the difference you make in people's lives. The legal aid board produce quality legal proffessionals

Pros

Great team feeling

Cons

Huge workloads

community engagement and fun work place

I would like to work in public engagement tasks and afford justice to those indigent people in our society at large. I studied law because i believe in justice and fairness and an LLB Degree will help me achieve my goals if I am afforded the opportunity.

Pros

experience in the legal field

Productive and fun workplace

A very good working environment. A lot to learn from and vast opportunities for growth. Management - We call them it Leadership, as they are a very powerful pack. Diversity is recognized while balancing work-life, keeping to the organizational objectives. No hardest part expect that a person is expected to work hard and go extra mile if need be. Most enjoyable when employees gather ideas on month-end meetings. Ideas that push the organization toward its objectives.

Pros

Specified lunch times. Company suports the humanistic environment.

Cons

Set working hours, however employees go an extra mile to

It been good working with the Legal Aid Staff company as they taught me lot of productive experience of being in the work place, they got such friendly and easily to communicate with staff.

Pros

Team Buildings

Cons

Long Hours

Leak of leadership

Time management it's very important in a courier company, respect and hardworking. It was a learning curve as it was my first real job. The staff was very helpful, well trained . The management of the company trusted me well because of hard working.

Pros

Free lunch

work productivity

Lovely environment and good team work and support and its fun. I enjoy litigation and giving legal advice. serving the indigent and assist the Court to come to a just decision. working for legal aid has built my confidence because you serve the public that must have confidence in you. the management is good

Pros

litigations

Cons

to put in long hours

Productive and fun work place

drafting of legal documents, criminal court litigation, chairing of conferences, administration of files, dispute resolution...I enjoyed litigation and drafting of documents plus dispute resolution

Pros

salary was good

Cons

product and fun work space

i loved working at Legal-Aid. the environment there made one look forward to going to work and the management and the seniors made it so comfortable. they pushed me hard to make sure i give the best results i can. and for that i was always rewarded. my JCE and my SPA were the best people to work for and they made an effort to encourage employees to work hard so they can reach their full potential

Pros

flexible working hours and exposure to court

Cons

consulting in prison

Challenge your thinking and mindset and constently learning

Worked long hours to get your work done on time. Learnt so much with the office experience. Mostly enjoyed the court experience and the confidence it brought to handle matters and speak in court.

Pros

Constently learning

Cons

Long hours of work

Development orientated workplace

I had an empowering experience and learned a lot with regard to the legal profession. this was both practical as well as theoretical. I was in court almost the entire day everyday. I was thus responsible for most of the matters on the court roll, as Legal Aid was on record for these matters. The matters included litigation, bail applications, maintenance court proceedings, court appearances, etc. My seniors were very helpful and gave the necessary guidance when needed. I enjoyed the practical experience of being in court daily, but dreaded working some Saturdays.

Pros

regular training, support from seniors

Cons

Long hours, working Saturdays, no job security

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Legal Aid South Africa. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.3

• Legal Aid South Africa
  • Work-Life Balance
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?