LifeCheq
Coronavirus update

LifeCheq Employee Reviews

South Africa13 reviews
Featured review
LifeCheq selected this as a representative review
Typical day:
There are targets that are set out and on a typical day, one works to achieve these targets. They are fairly set out and if one struggles to achieve them or there has been a curveball thrown, then one can lean on a colleague or manager to help out. I love the flexible hours, granted that one meets their targets.

Learning outcomes:

I learnt a new skill while working for the company and that is: adaptability. This is a fast-paced, fast-growing company and processes are always changing/improving. One has to be able to adapt to those frequent changes and I learnt that if one is rigid, they would struggle to cope, however, the support is there to assist an individual with coping.

This has truly added value to my personal growth.

Management:

Management has been exceptionally supportive and has greatly contributed to my growth within the company.

There are many opportunities within the company and one can move up very quickly, granted that targets are met. Management has helped me think through my career path and has shown immense support in terms of getting me where I want to be.

The employees at LifeCheq are great. People respect each other and one always learns something new from engaging with the other.
2,0
The managers were aloof and refused to hear the concerns of their staff. They used shame as device for control over their staff. The pay is okay but the lack of benefits was ridiculous. The people there are generally work rat and they cower everytime they are bullied.
They benefit of the overwhelming amount of work taught me to be resourceful and work well independently.
Pros
The company lunches and learning on your own how to problem solve.
Cons
manangement and specifically the CEO
4,0
LifeCheq is a great environment to pick up and refine skills necessary to succeed in the corporate world. I enjoyed the collaborative and supportive workplace provided by my line manager and colleagues.
Pros
Therapy sessions
Cons
Work can sometimes be mundane and repettive
4,0
This is a fast-paced, fast-growing company where processes are always improving and you learn to adapt fairly quickly.

There is a relaxed atmosphere in the office and colleagues are always willing to help when you require assistance.

Great place to work if you are willing to work smarter, have ambition and drive.
5,0
Company is expanding rapidly. This is enabled by a product people care about and an "excellence" culture at for employees.

You need to be willing to put time and effort, but it will be rewarded. Reviews of salary and promotions happen twice a year, and the transparent pay bands and role structures mean you know what you need to do to move up - it's up to you whether you do it.

My experience is that it's high effort, high reward. Low effort means no reward.

I'd recommend young professionals that want to grow quickly to apply for a role. The average demographic is quite young, so older individuals may find it difficult to connect with their colleagues.

I wouldn't recommend someone who is unhappy in their current role and just looking for change, or someone who just wants a cushy 9 to 5 - you will not enjoy your experience then.
4,0
I believe LifeCheq has done wonders for my personal growth. Working at LifeCheq will give you a wealth of opportunities to learn about every facet of investments, insurance and healthcare.

If you are considering working at LifeCheq, you should be someone that can adapt to change. As a fairly new start-up, the environment and processes are constantly evolving. As a result, you may often come across an outdated process, but rather than letting this hinder you, in my experience the individuals that succeed take the initiative and aim to improve the process. If you thrive on problem solving and developing new ideas, you will do well. If you work smart, you will get recognized for your efforts.

The direction you take at LifeCheq is up to you. There is no set progression and if you enjoy working in a particular area (of which there are many as we cover a wide variety of services), you can specialize in that area and advance accordingly. The more responsibility you choose to take on, the more you can advance.

The people at LifeCheq are what make my work enjoyable. Everyone is easy to work with and I learn something new every day. A diverse culture and lively open office space is something you can expect. There may be minor conflicts here and there due to an outdated process (for example), but it has always been about moving forwards and how we can do better in the future.
5,0
Coming from a corporate structured environment, LifeCheq gave me a better outlook on the financial industry.

The company is trying to change the industry and is very client focussed which I myself believe in. This is a company which puts the client's needs first and does not try to sell for the sake of selling. This creates trust with clients and helps retain business.

The hours are very flexible as long as you managed to complete your targets. If targets are met, you are guaranteed an increase in salary which is evaluated twice a year. These targets are easily met when working smarter, not harder, and learning from past work done.

You get to work with a lot of different people with different backgrounds which makes you think differently.

If you prove your worth in the company, you will be recognised and this will lead you to greater and better responsibilities.
Pros
Free lunches on monthly meetings
Cons
Starting salary
1,0
Although the company has great potential, management do not treat staff well. You quickly find yourself doing nothing but work for this company. Working at office, working at home, your life will soon become consumed by this place.

Dare you speak up regarding your challenges, ideas or just have an opinion on the ever changing processes, you will be forced into being quiet or pushed so far that you will have no other option but to leave.

You will do well if you saying nothing about anything and you just do everything management tells you to do, no matter how unsustainable your workload already is. But be warned, you must then also be prepared to sacrifice your private time, friends, families, hobbies, sleep and health.

Management may talk a good talk at times, but in reality and in practice, only the numbers are important to them, no matter what the personal cost is to the staff.

There are many companies around. Think very carefully about how far you’re willing to give up your life and health before joining this one. Getting your life and health back takes for longer once you leave than it will take to lose it here.
1,0
There are almost unlimited opportunities if you are a 'go-getter', in the Client experience if you are willing to go the extra mile. However, being a go getter almost always leaves you overworked, undervalued and underpaid for the many jobs you are expected to do. They do recognize potential in order to abuse you by running you dry up to the point when you are physically and mentally exhausted.

The culture and flexibility is EXTREMELY strenuous and NOT sustainable. Almost often long hours and very limited progression in most departments, mainly due to poor Leadership all the way to CEO.

The direction of Leadership can change at times as well as one's need to have thick skin to roll with the proverbial punches that will inevitably come. Bureaucratic and over-regulated style of Leadership, too many processes that sometimes duplicate and always contradict each other. Poor management and complete lack of planning of activities leads to terrible work and life balance. When you speak up, you are bullied into silence. The environment is a “Put-up or shut-up”.

Great company if you are willing to sacrifice your life and your mental well-being!
1,0
I think these points will help new employees adapt to LifeCheq:

1. Have a solid support system in the form of family, friends and a psychologist if possible - it will help maintain your sanity.

2. Have other channels of exercising your mind because you will be a robot for at least 40 hours per week.

3. Only trust your team lead or manager once they have earned your trust.

4. Think twice before moving to a different team within LifeCheq. Only switch if you are ready to forgo potential raise/promotion.

5. Keep your expectations of growth and career progress in check. If growth is important, you will soon need an exit plan.
From a LifeCheq manager:

I have learnt expert skills and resilience. Being able to adapt to the pace of change can be challenging but rewarding. The growth and change in processes and offerings contributes to upper managment willingness to listen and improve continuously. I have seen so much positive growth in the employees who have worked hard to move up and add value to this place.

Those who do well at LifeCheq are:

Employees who keep up with their KPI's

Those who value-add/provide solutions/create new processes and material.

Those who respect others

Those who are motivated to take on more responsibility

Those who take accountability for where they are at and their work and try to improve.

I love most of the people I work with, as they embody these values. I respect my line manager and CEO as I have really been held to high standards and with this (sometimes stressful environment) I have chosen to rise to the occasion and improve the company and myself. I have grown in leaps and bounds and seen others do the same in such a short space of time. I also feel human here; when people go through a tough time they can openly chat to upper managment about the support that they might need (if they chose to do so that is). I have maybe had tough discussions about the company or my own doings but I have always been met with respect.

I do feel we can work more on work life balance across all teams by adding assistance to all teams. I feel the company is looking to address this now by employing more people for it's current growth.

Thank you LifeCheq. Thank you Team.
4,0
As you would expect from a startup, there are constant challenges and expect a very high paced working environment. You can either see this as a problem or as a growth opportunity... the choice is yours. Expect to have a lot of responsibility early on.
1,0
The job itself was enjoyable and the lower level staff in general were great to work with, but there is a lot of mismanagement. Management and supervisors are not taken to task when they are in the wrong.

I worked really hard for this company, and they drained everything out of me, never once acknowledged my hard work but rather gave my superior credit for my work . Worst of all they did not give an increase on the pathetic salary, not even for inflation!

Most employees at the company are very unhappy as their grievances are not taken seriously at all. They pretend to be fixing the problem but nothing gets changed in the long run. Management does little to no work while passing their duties off to lower level staff.

I do not recommend working here, especially if you you want to move up the ranks. There is no space to grow within the company.
Pros
Good work culture (this is only because of the general staff, and no doing of management, founders and CEOs
Cons
long hours, poor salary. no acknowledgment of hard work
Official response from LifeCheq
15 July 2019
I am sorry that you felt this way about your experiences and I sincerely wish you had taken advantage of the many channels we have in the company to raise your concerns. Staff at LifeCheq have direct access to our founders, an anonymous feedback channel internally, an HR consultant, and a staff forum of colleagues that you can raise issues with. We've checked all those channels and these concerns were not raised there.

As you will know, all of our supervisors and most of the line managers at LifeCheq joined the company early on and have risen to senior levels through merit. There are a number of employees who started in entry level roles 2 years ago and are now in senior roles. We have a specific policy of promoting high performing candidates from within, so there is in fact plenty of scope for growth at our company.

I am sorry you feel your work was not acknowledged. I understand that working in a high performance environment can be challenging, and we are at least partially at fault for perhaps at times not communicating effectively enough how we evaluate performance. That is something we're getting better at. However, we also operate in a demanding environment and we cannot give rewards where performance is lacking. I know that having your performance being reviewed objectively can be at times hard, but I would encourage you to reflect on the feedback you would have been given.

Some aspects of what you've said, for instance about resolving grievances quicker are things we are looking at - thank you for that feedback.

I do take some exception to the comment that "management
 - more...