Maputo International School
3,5 out of 5 stars.

Maputo International School Employee Reviews

2,6Job Security & Advancement

I am passionate about teaching but will need bigger challenges

I love what I do but I desire to go on an complete my PhD and may be end up a fulltime lecturer.In fact, my child finished here and joined Wits University in January this year.Working in a foreign land limits your progress. I want to be back in SA. My wife is particularly keen to be closer to our child.

Pros

practising my professions

Cons

No chance to pursue my PHD

Would not recommend working here

It was an excellent school. New management has brought it down to low ranks. Staff is unfriendly after initial greetings, backstabbers. No direction for staff, no support

Pros

City is very nice

Cons

Negative work environnent

A very productive work environment

A professional environment which gave teachers the opportunity to grow and to be abreast with current with the curriculum. It was a place with sound management policies of international standard.

A cool environment with very social people

Maputo International School is good working place with a relaxed environment. The school is mixed school ranging from pre-school to high school and is equipped with most modern facilities. Student population of 550. Classes run from 0740 hrs to 1500 hrs. I have learnt to be more tolerant and accommodating as we have students from all races and mostly Portuguese speaking. As such, I speak a little of Portuguese as some of our students are limited in English language. The School has the Director at the top who is a government appointee, Mainly he deals with financial issues, then the pedagogical director and key-stage heads from 1 to 5. We are about 70 teachers with an average of 20 students per teacher. We are quite social and enjoy parties. Hardest part of the job as usual is the marking end of term exams. I enjoy teaching as our students are very disciplined and are good at taking instructions.

Pros

Air tickets after every 2 years. free education for staff children

Cons

Quite limited except for the local currency which has become very very weak

Teachers were isolated from leaders, but parents and students were always very appreciative

This school is an affordable option in this African City, but there is not enough guidance from leadership or collaboration. There are few resources and teachers are pretty much isolated in their own classrooms. The staff seem to get along well and students learn using the British Curriculum.

Pros

Days are not too long and parents are appreciative.

Cons

Very little guidance and leadership.

It is a friendly and an enjoyable working environment

Most teachers typical work day, like every other worker is quite hectic and tiresome. Therefore, it is quite refreshing as a teacher at Maputo International School to have some "free" lessons which allow you to relax and also attend to your personal needs inside and/outside of the school's environment; a benefit I consider to be rare in other schools. But in all this, we have achieved and still do achieve great results in this friendly working environment.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Maputo International School. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3,6 out of 5 stars for Work/Life Balance