Marula platinum mine

Marula platinum mine Employee Reviews

South Africa23 reviews

Productive and fun place

Conducive environment and productive although with some challenges of fatality due to fall of ground. Always must adhere to dressing coat such as wearing boots shoes.

Pros

Free lunch, gift during women's month and Christmas, also production bonus

Cons

12hrs

Like new challenges

A very challenging work atmosphere always with opportunities for growth. Development of employees is one of the priorities of the company. Very great supervisor with great deal of understanding.

Good company

Allowed to come with different strategies to solve problems. Good company. Very good packages. Room to grow is encouraged. Flexible working hours and good people to work with.

Marula Platinum mine is a company to work for if you are not scared of callenges

fast paced, productive and fun working environment. management is well organised and the tasks requires an individual to think out of the box. we work as a team

Management biased and more entrenched in ethnicity.Example is locals or sepedi speaking people have no job security as they are always targets for di

Marula is a very good mine with very unfair management resulting in a very low morale for employees not coming from the Eastern neighouring countries .

Good people

Design of driekop shaft with in marula is very poor otherwise you meet with excellent people don't compromise when it come to safety policy engineering side management team gave as chances to explore ourselves on mechanical field to go extra mile .

Pros

Free foods once a day

Cons

Extra hour always paid and also food proveded during overtime

I am an experienced auto-electrician in mining and construction

My typical day starts with a safety meeting chaired by my section Foreman and job allocation. I learnt to value safety precautions and always do risk assessement. Since i am an Artisan i have a duty to monitor my assitants and apprentices. We have a saying which goes "i am abrothers keeper". The hardest part of my job is when a machine broke down at the face of development ends. Carrying out preventive maintainance

Pros

Good medical aid

Cons

development

Favoritism work place

challenging and problem solving working under pressure and in uneven environment the management is concerned with production treat everyone as you want to be treated investigation fall of grounds discovering geological features analyzing and interpretation of geological feature

Unpredictable work environment.

I worked for this mine for a year under the services department and part of the reasons for seeking alternative employment was that the salary I received was not comparable to my daily responsibilities and my immediate supervisor was not helpful actually she knew nothing to say the least so I did all the work and when I approached management about it was told just keep on keeping on and I worked long hours outside of my normal working hours. and I hated the fact that I was moved from one department to the next because of my cababilities! I honestly couldn't deal! And the constant community unrest was unbearable!

Pros

Best people management systems in place

Cons

Constant community unrest

18 happy months of working

Worked in stoping and development sections in my 18 months stay in this company. Very productive with balanced working conditions. Living wages proper and suitable to majority of the employees. A good company to invest your labour into

Pros

time for lunching

Cons

overtime payment

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Marula platinum mine?

A great place to learn

This is the place where i learnt a lot of mining production skills.Proper and adequate training is done for the interns and those who require job skills and training.

Pros

One month leave per year

Cons

Long walking distances to actual working places

production

The mining production was running marginal. Mining methods more time consuming. Planning inaccurate as no accurate geological features were detected by geology department thus planning was full of inaccuracy.

Pros

productions functions and team building

Cons

short working hours

productive

a typical day at work is when employees are not paid on time. team work at the working place is more important. communication is more important. respect, hard work and self discipline. month end with lot of queries. month end without any pay queries.

Pros

team building

Cons

job planning

A good mine but with chalenges

If the economy and the Communities would allow Marula to produce and make profit this will be an excellent mine to work at. Only reason for looking for alternative employment is the company is currently undergoing restructuring due to months of Community issues that are preventing the mine form being profitable

Pros

Normal Mine benefits

Cons

Community issues

productive and workplace

Very good Respect Co-operative Willing to learn and more competent Diversity Exercising my four cores of a Supervisor POLC

Hard to proove yourself if non-aligned and professional

Strongly believe in determining my deserved salary out of what I do as critical. If looking for development and being professional, might not be a right destiny currently.

Pros

Not even tea on offer

Cons

just have to do your work time in your hands

Marula platinum is a well being company.

Working at Marula platinum mine was as nice as being at home but the fact is we didn't get a monthly bonus and even osop other mines gave to their staff workers.

Pros

Cons

8hours

engineering superintendent health and safety buget control over inspections on tm3 machines planning leading organising control maintanace planning

availability of machines allocating of tasks reporting to managment on availability of machines delegating tasks to foreman over seeing of maintanace of machines health and safety targets met production produced. achiveing production and availability requirements. co workers completeing tasks in requie and specified time. buget control and maintance requirment when all targets are achived and no break downs

Pros

bouneses are good and recegnition on achivments

Cons

long working hours, inexperianced artisans, none availability of spares, maintance not up to standard, taking short cuts

productive

It was a great company to work for. There is team work. The challenging part is the strikes from the communities. There was no room for development and growth for me as an individual.

Pros

No lunch time - free to have anytime of the day

Cons

Working on weekends

Challenging and very interesting

I start my job at 06h30 and always I prepare myself in time prior the beginning of the next course. I have learned that talk is cheap because what people preach is not what they do. Its hard and challenging to work with someone who does not approve and accept the views of his/her sub-ordinates. Management needs to review all the systems and processes to take this company to the next level. My co-workers are not fully supportive towards one another especial when you're new to this company. They feel that you put their jobs under a threat because they like to relax much not pushing their work but focusing more on their personal issues. When my manager cancelled my course to do OD ETDP Level 5. He felt that am still new and they don't have to rush on developing someone new like me because I may leave them soon. Introducing new facilitation methods and giving candidates more time to deal with their tasks in groups, role plays and demonstrations. Designing new learning material that is user friendly and also try to relate everything in class with the daily happenings.

Pros

Free lunches during training sessions

Cons

Normal hours

Big and productive mine with a friendly atmosphere

Working at Marula Mine is challenging even though the atmosphere is friendly.The machinery availability and the production are our priorities.Safety being the top priority , You are not to compromise it in any way. Every day I have to make sure I do all my daily inspections on all the equipment and machinery in the sections that I am appointed for.Should it be a day for a planned maintenance I have to do it within the scheduled period and ensure breakdowns are eradicated or minimised in a safe maner in accordance to the SWPs and and safety standards. My workmates are a group of humouorus , energetic and workaholics.We have different cultures and religions but all the more we have learnt to coexist. The most challenge is when you are on standby and it happens that there is a breakdown after hours and the breakdown needs a lot of manpower and is also affecting production.The breakdown needs to be fixed in a shortest period of as possible and in the safiest way.But it take a while to have back up on manpower.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Marula platinum mine. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• Marula platinum mine