Media24

Media24 Employee Reviews

South Africa70 reviews
Friendly Casual, Professional and Fun
Media24 is a comoany where anyone and everyone wanted to work at. The environment was never the same, we worked hard and played just as hard, Balance was key and they made it fun. Media24 always had ways to implementing new work ethics, and they BM had open door policies.

I would work there any time if given the opportunity
Fun working place
It is a very busy days and lot to do.
I learned alot and is still learning in my work place.

My co-workers will always help if the work load is to much and we always work together.

The hardest part of my job is the stress.

The enjoyable part is the satisfaction you get in helping the cleints and sorting out the complaints.
Pros
Overtime
Productive workplace
A day at work is very busy filled with fun here and there. I learned that two heads are better than one and three heads are better than two.Management is friendly formal and sometimes cool. The best about the team I worked with was the team spirit and how we functioned as one to fulfill a purpose and common goal. I must say the hardest part of the job was not knowing what was going on at any given time,communication between management and the employees were poor.
Pros
Huge commision brackets
Cons
Communication
5,0
Great company to work for.
Great energy everyday, positive that we'll meet our deadlines, placing of ads, dealing with indecisive clients, day goes by fast.
4,0
Fun place to work, but you need to work hard.
Creative environment.

Getting promoted can take some time.

Sometime you do feel like you're just a number.
Pros
free coffee
Cons
Hours over deadline period can get long.
4,0
Challenging work under pressure with deadlines
High visibility company, low end in print media but exciting work and customer focus. Best exposure to problem solving and customer needs.
Pros
Customer focus
Cons
High pressure
5,0
it is a very fun place to work at, lots of happy people
I enjoy this enviroment

i enjoy doing office work

i grew and learned so much ever since i started working here

i enjoy solving problems and this is what i needed to find what i really enjoy doing
Pros
company benifits
Work hard, Play hard
Working for Media24 most certainly had it's challenges. I had the opportunity to work for Beeld Newspaper in 2006-2008 working on Features and supplements as well. The market then was extremely good in terms of advertising in Newspaper Print, but newspaper print took a turn in 2008 where circulation started dropping and daily readers turned to online news. I would have loved to do a course through Media 24 in online but the opportunity never came.

Beeld and Rapport being the only Afrikaans newspapers in Gauteng region started losing interest from their readers and public making it more difficult on a monthly basis to reach what was needed.

Especially if retrenchments are put in place, the uncertainty of having a job in a month or two started showing.

Media24 have well trained Managers and Line Managers that use a "hands-on" approach.

When working on projects your co-workers certainly have an impact when it comes to team players and most of my co-workers have a special connection to me as friendships tend to grow.

I would say the hardest part of the job was the time-frame we had to sell on a feature / supplement / project as we ran more than one project at a time and most often when in the early stages the feature weren't going according to plan, we had to cancel it and come up with a new, fresh idea, which can be challenging. Advertisers are much more educated when it comes to marketing and advertising and different avenues are being used to market their products, mainly online, which we couldn't offer our clients.

The most enjoyable part of the job was
 - more...
Pros
Movie tickets, prizes, free publications
Cons
Job security
3,0
Check emails, write articles, uploading content on websites. Learn't about digital and online journalism. Hardest part is solving complex technica
Check emails, write articles, uploading content on websites.

Learn't about digital and online journalism.

Hardest part is solving complex technical issues regarding website

Enjoyable part of the job is traveling. Discovering new places and meeting new people.
Pros
free coffee
4,0
Productive but hectic but I am enjoying it
My day is full of deadlines and walkins from staff needing personnel information.

Clients come first and I need to keep myself up to date with staff benefits and terminology. Being proactive helps a lot.

Management is well and okay - open door policy. docs signed within deadline periods.

I work with a hardworking and lovely team and helpfull too.

Recruiting rare talent, month end and annual increase time as well as KPA times - everybdoy is anxious to get everything right. Systems too we need to keep them in check.

Month end again when all staff is paid with no queries especially new employees. Organising Wellness Days and attending HR Functions with other groups within the company.
Pros
Training and staff discounts
Cons
Very short deadlines
workplace
I would walk in and wait for my duties to be handed to me, management would always look to your interest and benefits. Working with these people was wonderful and the most enjoyable time of my day was designing adverts
Pros
no dress code
Cons
pressure
4,0
Productive, fun to work at and full of positive energy.
I am an early bird and non-clock-watcher so I arrive earlier than my team and start off by reading newspapers and online news updates. I have learned to work in sync with other editors I have not seen face-to-face ever as the are operating countrywide from other provinces. I have also learnt to let staff make their mistakes sometimes so they learnt instead of panicking that they might err. The hardest part of the job is balancing work and private life: working long hours, leaving home at 7am and arrive 12hrs later to attend to kids homework and other issues on the home front. I really enjoy the satisfaction that comes with cracking a difficult story and watching the sales rocket sky-high or getting to meet a happy and satisfied reader/client.
Pros
Taught me a lot about working with different people from different cultural backgrounds.
Cons
Long hours, pressurized environment
Challenging
No typical day at work because everyday is different from the previous.
You are pushed to do better everyday and staying on the trend.

The economic state of the country makes obtaining sponsorship challenging but it teaches you to negotiate better.
Pros
Attending social events
Cons
Working public holidays
Productive and deadline orientated
Productive and deadline orientated
Learned that practice makes perfect

Had wonderfull co workers

goals achievedbecause of hard work
3,0
High stress levels and pressure
Constant pressure and measurement of your performance. Your success was only measured on meeting targets and coming up with new ways to generate income through selling ads.
I learned to succeed above my own expectations, but after four years, I just couldn't take the 'judgement' anymore, my moral took a dip and I got very demoralised and demotivated.

Management was very fluctuating towards the sales team, one moment of approval, the next of disappointment and disapproval.

What kept me going was my co-workers, we were a fantastic sales team, worked very close together and complimented each other well.

I often think they were the reason I stuck it out for so long.
Pros
Taking ownership, meeting with them, offering them business solutions.
Cons
Too stressed environment
5,0
Definitely a place i didn't want to leave
A Typical day at work, was were i was able to look forward to get up i n the morning and be excited to go to work, Knowing and being able to plan what needs to be done.

The staff at Media24 was absolutely amazing and i really appreciate everything i learnt there.

The hardest part of my job was sticking to my dead lines where i needed work from others in order for me to complete my deadline.

I wish i never had to leave there
Pros
Learning allot about the business industry
Cons
Internship not being renewed
My day as a journalist
I would get to the office get calls from a person who was a victim of a fire which left them homeless.
The first thing I would do is get there and interview the home owner, speak to fire and rescue over the phone and make sure they are given whatever the departments offers like blankets and iron sheets to build a new structure.

The next day after the story is out, I know I will get a call from a person who is willing to help the family because my cellphone number was at the bottom of the article.

That same day the family gets a call from me telling them someone is coming with me to help them and basically I am the middle man between the family and whoever is helping again I report the help the family has received.

As a Journalist I have come to accept that I will not be the richest person ever and maybe what I take for granted other people are dying to have.

I know my job is complete when I had ran a story about people who need help after floods or fire and get a call from an individual or organisation willing to help.

The hardest part of the job is seeing corruption and inequalities and there is absolutely nothing you, your pen and note book can do about it except for writing.

I have learned that I will not be rich but I can make a difference in someone's life by being the voice of the voiceless.

I try getting along with people I work with although some people might make that hard.
Pros
Understanding your respective communities, Access to Events for free, The food.
Cons
Working on Weekends
Energetic, Fun environment
This was a really fun time, where we interacted a lot with others as well as learned how to communicate in front of a large group of people.
High Pressure Ever Changing Environment
No two days are the same, what works today may be change tomorrow as new requirements come to light. You have to think on your feet and move quickly, time is relevant.
Pros
Most people are a pleasure to work with
Cons
some people are difficult to work with
4,0
South Africa's most dynamic media house
My time at Media24 and specifically Son was the most productive and pleasantly challenging environment I've worked in.

A typical day at work started with a meeting with the news editor and my co-workers. We discussed the previous days publication and pitched our story ideas for the following day. We would then drive out to to our story subjects, interview them and return to the office to write it up before deadline.

Furthermore, my co-workers and management were fun, forthcoming and helpful which created an environment where my wellbeing was considered and my creativity continually stimulated.

The hardest part of the job was interacting with difficult subjects and meeting deadline. However, this was, more often than not, countered by being out in the field creating a voice for the minority and gaining important information for readers.
Pros
Being at the heart of news and information
Finance
I enjoy everything about my current company. Basically, I have a good relationship with my managers, the directors (down to earth personalities), you can go to them with any kind of situation, they are always ready to listen. i do the overall finance duties including overseeing creditors, querying, chanllenges are my kinda thing, give me any challenges and I will always give a resolution, i never give up until i get to the top of things. I love audit, everyone else hate the time of audit but I just don't get the fuss about the audit, I'm always prepared to take on the challenge. My manager always say he just don't get how over motivated I am, it's not something you see everyday. My job for me is a passion, I do it for the love of it.
I enjoy reconciliations, budgets/forecasts, audit.
Pros
Free coffee, flexi work times, friendly managers