Merchants Foodservice
2,8 out of 5 stars.

Merchants Foodservice Employee Reviews

2,8Work-Life Balance

Ok place to work

Ok company to work for, work is hard but you if you get the route done fast you can have decent work life balance. Management can’t be trusted and pay is not worth the work

Fun work place. But bad management. Manager don’t know how to talk to you nor do they want to assist you when there is a problem with pro

Fun place to work. Bad management. The manager/supervisor doesn’t no how to talk to you nor will they assist you when there is a problem when it come to productive. Especially when you working as a loader

Your coworkers

This is a great company to work for. You have access to everything and everyone. There are a lot of things to learn, and it's easy. You get to meet different people on the job. The hardest of the job is you always want to second guess yourself but don't. Always go with your first mind. The most enjoyable part is the work environment.

Best food service company I have worked for

This is by far the best company I have worked for. They do everything possible to make sure their drivers are taken care of. If there is a breakdown someone always answers their phone and gets you the help needed. There isn't anyone constantly on your back trying to find something you are doing wrong. Pay and benefits are close to or better than other food service companies. Management actually cares about you, from your direct manager all the way up to the ceo. They welcome feedback and fix any issues immediately ( handheld, loading, routing, etc ). I don't want to leave but there are no locations or drop yards in the areas I plan on moving to.

Pros

If you do your job and do it safely there are no issues.

Cons

Night shift for the most part. I like it but it wouldn't be for everyone.

Horrible company to work for.

The worst company I have ever worked for in my life. They had to quit my current job. Paid me less money upfront with a promise to increase my sales and salary in less than one year. Then fired me because I had medical work in another state. From that state I did my job and merchants tried to not pay me for the work I did.

Awful place

Management lies, supervisor lies. Just unload the truck. Worst place I’ve ever worked.was there 3 months , never got uniforms, or a set of hand trucks. Didn’t care if you could finish route or not, would send others to help if you got close on hours. I had worked 6 years in food service delivery and merchants was the absolute worst. Good money , but managed poorly

Pros

Pay is good.

Causal working environment

The work wasn’t hard at all, the constant turnover in upper/senior management was a major let down. There wasn’t any room to grow or advance upward in the company. Even when you’re off you’re not off because your phone is constantly ringing with work related issues (majority of the times the on-site staff/managers) couldn’t address the issue.

Benefits

Cons

On call 24-7 if felt like, no support from upper management

Not a bad gig, with great view

Seasonally busy workplace. If the weather is nice expect it to be busy. Commute to and from can be tough since there are no trains close by. Would recommend to someone.

Good place to work at. Pay is pretty good. Good work/life balance

Routes are kinda easy for the most part. It’s some backbreaking work though. Most times you have to dig a pallet to find the cases you need. Home everyday and off on weekends. Once you get the hang of it though maybe it can become easier. Really good staff and everyone pitches in to help out

Pros

Work/home life, pay

Cons

Digging for cases and sometimes not organized trailers

Work independently, and fast paced

Driving for Merchants was fun and fast paced. You work independently on your route, and as long as you make all of your stops, there's no one breathing down your neck.

Pros

Independent, the hours are good, as long as you hustle

Cons

Transportation manager wasnt very likable, most of the trucks i was in, were in poor condition

Terrible work environment, very unprofessional attitudes and behavior

Leadership is not what it needs to keep workers. There is constant revolving door of employees due to management. Job duties change without notification due to poor leadership.

Long hours ,Sunday night through Thursday night.

It's ok if you don't have any other stream of income. Long hours , Sunday night through Thursday night. Not much time if you have a family.

Could be a great place with different management.

Management is run by the selectors not the other way around like it should be. Management sides with their favorite employees and pretty much lets them do and say whatever they please. There is no HR department in the facility and there needs to be. You do not receive the training you need to succeed. Supervisors do not have the ability to run their departments and are constantly micro managed on every decision. No clear communication. The equipment isnt properly maintained or repaired and is constantly breaking down. Computer system is way out of date and difficult to use. Could be a great place to work and has the potential to do so but would require management that is in touch with what the workers and supervisors need to succeed.

Pros

Decent pay. Occasional catering. Attendance bonus.

Cons

No clear communication. Alot of favoritism. Poor management.

Poor leadership.

Managers didn't care what workers did. Drivers ran the bosses not the other way around. We lost alot of good people because of management and the president.

Rewarding and Challenging Experience

It is a very competitive but rewarding experience. Training is ample and will prepare even the most novice of foodservice representatives.It will take a self motivated person to be successful.

Pros

Leadership and Training

Cons

Saturated Markets

Frustrating and draining.

Do not recommend to anyone. Pay is ok. Management is just blah! Very hard work no help. Long days and lots of digging. Hard to get management in the phone most of the time.

Pros

Local

Cons

You unload truck by hand with a hand truck. Most cases you need are on bottom of pallet 80% of time.

Good place lots of favoritism

Pay should be more. Customer service starts off at $12 but should be more . Lots of favoritism . Customer service does a lot of work but doesn’t get the Recognition

Pros

Hour lunch

Cons

Ok company

Do not get sweet talked

I should have known the first day of orientation I was lied to. This company just uses up drivers and spits them out. A revolving door. They expect you to work when you’re hurt, even demanding you to go against doctor’s restrictions. I could write lot more, but I will refrain.

Pros

Cons

Lies, unethical, poor management

Job is trash

To work here you have to really want a job badly. Low pay, lots of work. They hire way more drivers because they know a lot of them will quit. All the old drivers have assigned trucks but new comers have to come in at 4am to walk around the yard to try to find a decent raggedy truck. They have trash everywhere inside the truck. My 1st day I had to ride around making deliveries while holding the door because it wouldn’t shut close. Equipment is busted. Only thing look good about the trucks is the camera that’s watching you. Hard labor work with low pay! Turn over rate is VERY HIGH. It only took me one month to know that job wasn’t for me lol. Nothing Professional about this Company. The loaders load the trucks so badly that it will cause you to stay out there longer than necessary. When I got out of training I had to beg for a Dolly to work with. They give you no tools to be out there alone. They tell you to steal someone else dolly and ramp plate if they don’t have them locked up.

Pros

Clocking out going home to family

Proceed with caution

Competitive comp, poor culture, excessive politics. Difficult environment no matter how much you have to bring to the table. Competence and backbone are frowned upon heavily. Best of luck.

Selector

OverallHard worker good communicator friendly outspoken helpful dependable respectful as well as malleable clean and neat very observing compatible entrepreneur

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Merchants Foodservice. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2,8 out of 5 stars for Work/Life Balance