Metrorail

Metrorail Employee Reviews

South Africa62 reviews
3,0
having to wake up at 3:30 and prepare for work. Not able to prepare kids for school because your shift start at 4:30, but the nicest part about that shift is knocking off early (12:00). If there were promotions, career opportunities, training and developments it was going to be a fun place to be at. Metrorail helped me a lot in understanding different types of people and their cultures, i used to be very shy at school but now i'm this loud person who can address thousands of people without being nervous. It's a nice place to be at but one does one job for too many years. i want something challenging and i will appreciate working for a company that can help me further my studies or have a profession,
5,0
Learnt much during my stay at Metrorail, from UBUNTU to SAP Payroll System. Long hours were worked to make sure the Payroll Input was done to meet the Payroll deadline.
Pros
Perks
Cons
Payroll Run
5,0
Teamwork,work independently, good office environment, good leadership,opportunity to learn and develop yourself.Attend courses on developing staff and officials. Benefit from management level.
5,0
I have been working at Metrorail for 10 years now and am very happy at my work place. Like all companies there are challenges, but then again without challenges growth cannot come.
4,0
Metro rail it's a best company in every area of the their field. My manager was the best of them all. Their benefits are the the best and most important thing is their humanity.
1,0
Always take performance as serious, it is never a joke of an environment. Not an environment to be let your guard down nor an environment where health and safety aspects should ever be over looked. It is a problematic environment, with high expectations on lower level employees. Criminal activities are ALWAYS an aspect to be extremely cautious of and staff do need to take incidents very seriously as well as their well being into their own hands. Developing internal friendships is not advised and keeping ALL concerns strictly on a professional level is of utmost importance at all times. High risk situations are very easy to come by and precautionary measure should and must be adhered to at All times. Contingency planning is not 5 star nor is it an environment where staff safety is of high importance. It is an environment where Income is placed on high priority with little resources. It is not a performance accredited environment especially the expectancies on staff on ground level. Racial slash backs are high and cultural differences do play a big role. My advice is to always watch yourself and to never allow personal concerns to cross over the boundary line. Know your Rights as well as reporting structures. Don't allow yourself to become a target. Staff are Exploited, not remunerated correctly and Internal procedures are not always followed correctly.
5,0
Its a blessing to work for this company because you have time of rendering the service to the fellow Community and Neighbours even thieves. I mean the City of Capet Town is in your palms hand you must just be abound by the Company rules .the day just past by without even know because you doing it with passion and love, the good thing is a teamwork you end up having a second family while you are on duty which is a good thing.well to come to management its difficult because some were given and some went to school for it.the hardest part is to lose one of us due to train accident/train trap or robbery as I said we are family. WELL to come to the last side when everything goes as planned and we exceeded the budget we all get what is call GATES HARING whereby everybody get slice of cake in this case a couple of Rand if not THOUSANDS those were good old days I still miss the staff infact everything including the job its self
Pros
good service for the day
Cons
train delays
3,0
I enjoyed working in that place as it was my first job. I learned a lot from my coworkers. I had opportunities to study further and improve my skills.
1,0
For the almost the last 7 years the working conditions were very bad,manually train authorizations causing human errors and while all facets in the working environment literally falling apart.No support basis when a serious mistake has been committed except been send for psychological evaluation.
Pros
Cons
Many years of manual train authorizations
3,0
I work for metro rail as a SIGNALLING TECHNICIAN, basically i fix the electronics side of the equipment that assist in running of our trains. I am a six day work, 12 hour shift with night shifts. I do fault findings on the rail equipment on a daily basics, inspections and reports. the hardest part of my job is the long hours and the risks that comes with the pressure, when attending to breakdowns the commuters wants to hit us and they swear at us daily. the best part is that i get to use my mind every minute and the fact that this is a specialized field you get to learn new things everyday.
Cons
long hours, night shifts
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Metrorail?
4,0
At first, the work environment came across as demanding with an extremely low margin for error. It was probably at first, due to my low ''job fitness" (if you will), but I found this environment difficult to get used to. Fortunately there were extremely rigid managers, who were hard enough on me to want to succeed and more importantly, cope with the challenges of the environment
Pros
sufficient breaks
Cons
extreme working hours
3,0
Stressful in a way that most of the people you transport are rude and they often smoke inside the train and you become a secondary smoker. Management does listen to employees suggestions
Pros
Long break
Cons
Salaries disparity
5,0
Eager to work under pressure and grow faster in the organisation.Doing extra duties when required.Working closely to my superior.working for company was interesting how ever contract got to and end.
Pros
own meals
Cons
24/7 a day and 365 a year
4,0
my work was very interesting, as i have learned a lot. working with commuters is like working with community members, as you learn their behaviour. when they are angry and frustrated about the
transpotation.

the challenge was when we had to be paid, it took us more than we expected to be paid and that really frustated us. But beside that our supevisor was okay.

workplace culture: it was team work and offcourse it was fun and good, as you are not scared because you are not alone

the hardest part was finding yourself in a situation where are frustrated and i have to make them calm and reason when trains are late or stark out of no where.

most enjoyable part, is when intervewing a happy commuter, the one who is understanding and willing to cooperate
5,0
it a nice working environment. i worked long hours some times if needed but not working under pressure i do supervision. managing and supervising contractors.
Pros
no free lunches
Cons
lonlojoursg j
4,0
Was a very good company to work for. Job security en financial security and benefits. Was place for advancement in company. Good benefits e.g. pension medical aid etc.
Pros
Overtime normal working hours
5,0
I wasn't a Metro'rail stuff but I worked there as a ticket assistant. Actually I was a Security but my company allocated me at Metro'rail Stations. Sometimes I worked in trains to guide passengers from any criminal offence. This work was a stressful one because we must attend different & difficult people. We worked six to six hours.
Pros
Cons
Normal hours
*Typical day stock taking
*Team work supportive and supervision

*Ubuntu is the culture

*Attending meeting and deal with difficult colleagues and management but manage to maintain good working environment

*Enjoyable part of my Job is when everything I implement and suggest become resourceful and benefit the company and when the stock taking was a success with no complications or struggles
Pros
Free luch the
1,0
stressful, filled with politics, no support, no provision of resources, financial and budget constrains and corruption, unions run the day to day operations, employees not prepared to work
Pros
Cons
no resources
3,0
Responsible for safe working isolating equipment for maintenance and repairs in substations work on overheads and assist linesmen with isolating when nessesary. when supervisor is on leave or sick take over supervisor duties
Cons
call out, standby 24/7 permanent
5,0
at metro rail you work with commuters all the way so being mentally feet and being able to put your difference a side will help to keep the customers satisfied most times.
Pros
time to rest is there
Cons
normal hours and long if theres a need.