Metrorail

Metrorail Management reviews

South Africa62 reviews
3,0
Stressful in a way that most of the people you transport are rude and they often smoke inside the train and you become a secondary smoker. Management does listen to employees suggestions
Pros
Long break
Cons
Salaries disparity
5,0
Teamwork,work independently, good office environment, good leadership,opportunity to learn and develop yourself.Attend courses on developing staff and officials. Benefit from management level.
1,0
Always take performance as serious, it is never a joke of an environment. Not an environment to be let your guard down nor an environment where health and safety aspects should ever be over looked. It is a problematic environment, with high expectations on lower level employees. Criminal activities are ALWAYS an aspect to be extremely cautious of and staff do need to take incidents very seriously as well as their well being into their own hands. Developing internal friendships is not advised and keeping ALL concerns strictly on a professional level is of utmost importance at all times. High risk situations are very easy to come by and precautionary measure should and must be adhered to at All times. Contingency planning is not 5 star nor is it an environment where staff safety is of high importance. It is an environment where Income is placed on high priority with little resources. It is not a performance accredited environment especially the expectancies on staff on ground level. Racial slash backs are high and cultural differences do play a big role. My advice is to always watch yourself and to never allow personal concerns to cross over the boundary line. Know your Rights as well as reporting structures. Don't allow yourself to become a target. Staff are Exploited, not remunerated correctly and Internal procedures are not always followed correctly.
5,0
Its a blessing to work for this company because you have time of rendering the service to the fellow Community and Neighbours even thieves. I mean the City of Capet Town is in your palms hand you must just be abound by the Company rules .the day just past by without even know because you doing it with passion and love, the good thing is a teamwork you end up having a second family while you are on duty which is a good thing.well to come to management its difficult because some were given and some went to school for it.the hardest part is to lose one of us due to train accident/train trap or robbery as I said we are family. WELL to come to the last side when everything goes as planned and we exceeded the budget we all get what is call GATES HARING whereby everybody get slice of cake in this case a couple of Rand if not THOUSANDS those were good old days I still miss the staff infact everything including the job its self
Pros
good service for the day
Cons
train delays
1,0
For the almost the last 7 years the working conditions were very bad,manually train authorizations causing human errors and while all facets in the working environment literally falling apart.No support basis when a serious mistake has been committed except been send for psychological evaluation.
Pros
Cons
Many years of manual train authorizations
*Typical day stock taking
*Team work supportive and supervision

*Ubuntu is the culture

*Attending meeting and deal with difficult colleagues and management but manage to maintain good working environment
*Enjoyable part of my Job is when everything I implement and suggest become resourceful and benefit the company and when the stock taking was a success with no complications or struggles
Pros
Free luch the
1,0
stressful, filled with politics, no support, no provision of resources, financial and budget constrains and corruption, unions run the day to day operations, employees not prepared to work
Pros
Cons
no resources
4,0
day to day duties that are simple to do. Challenging "team work" amongst the supervisors yet I managed to work to work with both of them.With minimum Supervision from Management yet we managed to run the depot with efficiency. I learnt to work without involving myself in politics of this government entity.What i liked most whilst working there was going home early (15h30) everyday to see my family
2,0
I love what i do at my workplace but i need a new challenge and so far i have experienced no growth. there is no motivation and the workplace has no inspiration. Managers run around like headless chickens daily. Values is not adhered to and being overlooked. I dont feel happy there especially when it comes to the recruitment and selection process. Coloureds in particular is being treated unfairly.
Pros
Good salary
Cons
4 days off per month
4,0
We had daily meetings in the morning with supervisors and they would inform us on what needed to be done. Management was very helpful and informative. I learnt a lot e.g fleet management, building cables,trouble shooting working independently as well as with team. The most enjoyable part of the job was finding solutions when faced with problems and meeting deadlines.
Pros
braais month end
Cons
large fleet of trains
3,0
This is where I show cased my skills as an electrician. Open door policy from management rotation from section to section was important for growth. The challenges were non co-operation from my team due to long service from their side and I was new.
Pros
Overtime and benefits
3,0
I started working on the post, in 2010. When I got to the depot, the personnel did not like me. I managed to establish a good working relationship with both train drivers and comductors.

There was no proper tracking of train drivers, while in the sections. I then designed a document which assisted in tracking drivers in the section and the train numbers.

The personnel did not like the idea of working longer hours. Due to the well established working relations, I ontroduced the long hour working. At the end, everyone was willing to go an extra mile.
Pros
Working with different people and learning different behaviours
Cons
Shortgae of personnel and high expectations from Senior Management
4,0
We could have improved service delivery and customer service greatly by implementing more stringent management techniques, also by improving system infrastructure.
benefits
Cons
awkward hours
3,0
A dysfunctional Head Office hardly lends support to the regions.
Resources are lacking/decreasing while the workload increases due to ageing infrastructure.

Most days are spent fighting fires (emergency workplaces) to keep trains running.
Pros
Experience gained in a specialised field
Cons
Endless battles (inter departmental/procedural/under resourced) to achieve results
*Hectic days
* high demand for productivity
* excellent and motivated team
* inadequate resource but high expectations

* continuous learning
Interaction with commuters
Management is very approachable
Co-workers are mostly friendly
Every day is a new experience

Hardest part is rail accidents
3,0
I have learned the Health and Safety is best key to better the work envoroment,Management always supporting ,working in a team enviroment and enjoyeble part about my job assisting other employees and department and work together.
Pros
Cons
8hours
4,0
Shift start by parading and deploying own members and contracted security guards. Conduct contract management by visiting guards on sites. Learned most aspects of contracted management such as consolidating the weekly and monthly overall performance by each contractor before payments are made.Interacted with senior management through departmental and other meetings. Prasa/ Metrorail is a company dealing with a large volume of commuters on a daily basis and the hardest part of the job is when commuters demand immediate service that you are not in control of and they need your positive response immediately because some of them can't seperate security roles from other departments.
The most enjoyable part of the job is when you get to interact with external stakeholders such Railway SAPS, JMPD, City of Johannesburg, Local businesses and others.
Pros
Free transport for after hours shifts.
Cons
Unscheduled long hours during unforseen emergencies
5,0
A typical day would be when I ensure that the Regional manager's office runs smoothly. Taking irate customer's calls, Trains might be running late or someone was robbed or a fatal accident. Typing of minutes, managing the regional manager's diary or making flight bookings.
I have learned about other cultures and Ubuntu.

Management were very professional and cared a lot about their staff.
My co-workers absolutely adored me and my outgoing personality was much appreciated in that environment when anybody could just walk into the RM's office due to his 'open-door' policy.

the hardest part of the job was multi-tasking between staff just walking in, my typing of reports and minutes and not making any mistakes! I rated the stress level of about a 6 out of 10. The most enjoyable was the respect from staff and colleagues and the friendly office environment, warm and support staff were absolutely amazing and always willing to assist with the most impromptu event. I miss working there and wish I could get my old job back
Pros
Good package, housing subsidy from Transnet, perks to get discounted fares on train trips
Cons
Customers were hard to please as trains were late due to cable theft and they would be frustrated
Its normal working hours, 7-4, dealing with day to day issues

I have learnt so much about labour relations and working in a highly unionised environment and attending conciliations and arbitrations at the CCMA

at times management can be very hard handed and oppressive otherwise its ok.

Workers co-operate and give support as we all aim to meet the organisations goals and contribute to the bottom line.

the hardest part is when people don't co-operate, or when I have to issue a notice of dismissal to ill-disciplined employees or when management and labour don't agree on issues.

creating a harmonious work relationship, winning a case or settling a dispute between line management and employee. Facilitating E.R training and having no grievances.
Pros
Team building excercises
Cons
Sometimes tough management style
1,0
drafting quality manuals, documents and policy.
conducting quality awareness and training .

conducting quality audits when necessary .

quality needs to be understood and supported by management in order to become a sucess, so the challenge was to getting everyone involved from the management to all employess.
the enjoyable part was during training and awereness programmes, all questions raised and inputs from all.
Pros
show initaitives and make things happen.
Cons
time consuming