MGI logo

Clear
3,3Work-Life Balance
3,1Pay & Benefits

beautiful environement and employees

a day at work involved being at my work station and working with clients as they enter. There is a lot of interaction between the employees and those in superior position are friendly and understanding of those working below them. Management trusts employees and the employees are dedicated to their work and to the company/school. The hardest thing about working at MGI was probably having to wake up early in the morning just to be on time for work. it was an amazing experience for me, the people are friendly and always ready to help me when I am confused about certain things. The people I worked with made the job as enjoyable as it possibly can, every day had something new to smile about.

Pros

birthday presents

Cons

there are a lot of students to enroll

Collections

The organisation has less room for growth and limited exposure to the business community. Management type is intimidating in nature. It is multi-cultural and learnt working in a diverse environment.

Pros

Collection

Cons

Salary not on standard

very productive and educative.

Working in the academic enviroment led me to value the interpersonal communication between people, the great plasure was helping and make people to make the most important decition in their lives.

Relaxed, rewarding and productive work place

A typical day includes arriving early, setting up my presentation for the class ahead and then lecturing. After class I answer questions, assist students and then head back to the office to continue with more preparation for the following day. At MGI I am lucky to have a hands off boss who allows me the freedom to form my own teaching style. We communicate regularly on problems and tasks and I am evaluated by my boss and the students once a year. My co-workers have become friends and are both a support and counsel when in need. The hardest part of my job - there isn't a hard part. It is all within manageable limits. The most enjoyable part is being able to convey a message and have it understood by a student who then goes on to excel because you provided a good foundation... nothing is more rewarding than teaching or winning a case. Consulting varies depending on the inflow of clients and their case load. No day is ever the same and as I am an independent consultant I am my own boss with no co-workers.

Pros

Being able to genuinely help someone

Cons

Not receiving payment after having worked for hours.

What i learned:

That with proper planing and time management, it is possible to accomplice any goals that is set and that you want to meet. I learned this by marking test and exams: I had with the test and exams on average of 100 papers to make and 3-5 days to mark them in, and still have to prepare for classes. So by splitting the papers into manageable groups to mark and set time to prepare for class, I was never late delivering marked papers and being prepared for all my classes.

Pros

Time management is key

Cons

work long hours

No work security. I am still fixed term after 2 years. No pension. 15 days leave per year.

.Responsibilities include:1.1 ACADEMIC LEADERSHIP Providing academic leadership and ensuring the quality and success of all academic services provided to the faculty’s clients Managing, monitoring, developing and evaluating academic programmes within the faculty. Leadership in teaching including active participation in teaching. Providing Leadership in research including active participation in research activities. Liaison with academic colleagues and relevant expertise in the field and industry to ensure ongoing development and quality of programmes. For example Advisory Board, Research Indaba, HPCSA to mention a few. Participation, where relevant, in the liaison between MGI and the CHE, HEQC, Department of Education and other similar bodies, in terms of regulatory affairs and audits.1.2 ACADEMIC MONITORING Participation in updating of academic policies and procedures. For example research committee, assessment policy, helping with the planning of a proper test procedure and e-moderation procedure etc. Academic monitoring (including attendance, lecturer evaluations, module evaluations, etc), using mLess or lecture evaluation forms, class visit form. Ensuring the successful functioning of advisory boards for the subject disciplines in the faculty. Control and quality assurance of all academic activities including curriculum development, teaching, assessment and research. Ensuring the quality and maintenance of module outlines, booklists, all other teaching materials. Participation, where appropriate, in student registration and administration process -

Pros

being in academic leadership and making a huge difference to student's lives

Cons

very long hours, working under pressure all the time, making ajustments as we go.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at MGI. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3,6