Mintek
3,8 out of 5 stars.

Mintek Employee Reviews

South Africa103 reviews

3,9Work-Life Balance

Must be able to multitask effectively. Fact pace during pilot plant projects. You get to work collaboratively with colleagues. Best experience is that you get trainings.

Undocumented processes

placement changed the environment to be uncomfortable, demotions and unfair labour practices in other cases, bursaries closed for certain employees while there is not change in the policies

Pros

Great wellness events

Cons

unending restructuring / placement

Productive and fun workplace

It is such an honor to find yourself in such a big and reputable company, I really enjoyed myself working there, I have learnt a lot and also met highly skilled people.

Work culture

I was excited to work for Mintek, however it turned out to be my worst work experience l have ever been. I regretted working there. Work culture is bad, Management style very autocratic. Job security does not exist, you can be dismissed or pushed out if management does not like you. Working environment very toxic

Exciting and challenging

Good experience across all commodities. Challenging environment and good leave benefits. Progression is very much dependent on the individual. Learning scholarships are available.

Pros

Experience

Cons

No clear direction

Productive and good work place

It would be good to at least absorb interns after training. For after training people struggle to get job. And the period of training should be at least 2-3 years so that a candidate can easily get a job.

Pros

Normal working hours

All about production

The focus at work was more about meeting deadlines and pushing production and samples. It is quite a demanding job but there are moments when you think and apply yourself

There is a lot to learn if you are focused and the company encourages people to study.

Productive and there is a lot to learn if you are focused.I joined Mintek as a learner (In-service trainee) and I grew and branched into SHEQ. The company was supportive to me in terms of funding my studies to advance my career.

Professional, learning and teaching environment and good development program

Working at Mintek is fulfilling as one learns something new everyday and most of Mintekkers are highly qualified in their field of work. This is the3 best place to be.

Pros

Professional environment

Cons

Stressful and demanding job

Productive and fun place to work at. Given an opportunity to apply knowledge learnt a t tertiary.i acquired skills through Mintek and fell in love with the project we embarked in before I left.

Research and test work

Flexible hoursDo test work (commercial and government)Material Characterization and TestingWriting articles, report, and journalsFailure investigation of metal materials

Productive and contributed to my growth

most of my experience I got it from working from Mintek. I started as a messanger and got promoted to a clerk and eventually become a registry supervisor and registry controller. The experienced help to sharpe my career hence I study for a proffessionL qualification . Working they helped me to choose a career path

Pros

assisted education scheme for employess

Cons

nothing in particular

Great place to learn but too much bureaucracy

Mintek is a very good company to start your career and learn from especially coming straight from varsity. They do pride themselves about the fact they prepare engineers for the industry. However, one should not stay there beyond 5 years, there's nothing new to learn after that. Only a few individuals are groomed and helped to map their career path and growth within the organization. These individuals get all the support from the specialists and the management. The rest are usually left to their own devices and frustrated into wanting to leave, but are constantly made to feel they are not good enough to make it out there. Add to that the red tape and endless paperwork required to kick start a project, the admin and support staff is not as helpful and supportive as they could be.

Pros

Wellness programs, exposure to a variety of technologies, projects and clients.

Cons

Bureaucracy, red tape, too much paperwork, unrealistic financial models for technical divisions

Productive yes and fun workplace

Mintek is doing a research and its good on it , it is indeed productive .I wish government could look at it nd subsidise it with more resources. .

Cons

8hours

Career builder for graduate

Great place for curious engineers who are willing to work hard and learn. There is mentorship from both academics with practical experience and engineers with field experience

Pros

Subsidised lunch

Cons

A typical day at work on a project

I did sample preparation. I learned to be independent when dealing with a project. I learned to do physical separation on real materials from the mines.

Good working environment

Mintek is a very professional working environment and you will definitely enjoy the time you spend at work. They are 1 of the world leaders in research on the mineral processing, small scale mining biotechnology. Analytical services specializes in water and geological analysis.

Pros

Flexible hours

Cons

Shifts

Educational growth is available at mintek

Mintek it's a very relaxed company, but very educational.bursaries,internships,learnership are available for everyone. Education is not limited here. Growth is the key at mintek

Productive and worth experimental training

I worked at Mintek as an intern. Performed basic quality techniques to track, analyze and report material processes and products in order to ensure that they conform to the client’s quality standards. Failure analyst for both ferrous and non-ferrous metals by making use of material characterisation techniques in order to investigate the root cause of failure and also to provide possible solution to the problems. Chemical etchants both normal and tint etchants were used to determine the microstructure of the material. Equipment such as Light Optical microscope, Ferrite scope, X-ray and SEM were utilised to characterize the material samples (image analysis). To analyse the mechanical properties of various materials. This involved the testing of hardness, wear, impact, tensile strength, fatigue etc. Conducted corrosion tests on different types of stainless steels by designing a corrosive environment to determine the life span of the material before it corrodes.The corrosion tests included the following: stress corrosion cracking (SCC) test, hydrogen embrittlement, erosion corrosion tests, pitting and crevice corrosion tests. Was also given an opportunity to supervise the students (vacation students) from various universities.

Very good to enhance ones skill and fun to wort at

It is a very busy work space and very helpful in terms of growing in ones career path. I have required my SAP MM certificate and grown in applications.

The journey was worth it

A typical day at work it involves everyone doing their job allocations, and I learned to operate instruments like ICP-OES,AAS ,LECO and ICP-MS. The challenging part of the job was learning to work with toxic samples and being safe at the same time.And the enjoyable part of the work was friendly people and it made it easy to learn more each day.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Mintek. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3,9 out of 5 stars for Work/Life Balance