Mintek

Mintek Employee Reviews

South Africa91 reviews
3,0
Mintek is a very good company to start your career and learn from especially coming straight from varsity. They do pride themselves about the fact they prepare engineers for the industry. However, one should not stay there beyond 5 years, there's nothing new to learn after that. Only a few individuals are groomed and helped to map their career path and growth within the organization. These individuals get all the support from the specialists and the management. The rest are usually left to their own devices and frustrated into wanting to leave, but are constantly made to feel they are not good enough to make it out there. Add to that the red tape and endless paperwork required to kick start a project, the admin and support staff is not as helpful and supportive as they could be.
Pros
Wellness programs, exposure to a variety of technologies, projects and clients.
Cons
Bureaucracy, red tape, too much paperwork, unrealistic financial models for technical divisions
3,0
Mintek is doing a research and its good on it , it is indeed productive .I wish government could look at it nd subsidise it with more resources.

Cons
8hours
4,0
Great place for curious engineers who are willing to work hard and learn. There is mentorship from both academics with practical experience and engineers with field experience
Pros
Subsidised lunch
5,0
I did sample preparation. I learned to be independent when dealing with a project. I learned to do physical separation on real materials from the mines.
5,0
Mintek is a very professional working environment and you will definitely enjoy the time you spend at work. They are 1 of the world leaders in research on the mineral processing, small scale mining biotechnology. Analytical services specializes in water and geological analysis.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Shifts
3,0
Mintek it's a very relaxed company, but very educational.bursaries,internships,learnership are available for everyone. Education is not limited here. Growth is the key at mintek
3,0
I worked at Mintek as an intern. Performed basic quality techniques to track, analyze and report material processes and products in order to ensure that they conform to the client’s quality standards. Failure analyst for both ferrous and non-ferrous metals by making use of material characterisation techniques in order to investigate the root cause of failure and also to provide possible solution to the problems. Chemical etchants both normal and tint etchants were used to determine the microstructure of the material. Equipment such as Light Optical microscope, Ferrite scope, X-ray and SEM were utilised to characterize the material samples (image analysis). To analyse the mechanical properties of various materials. This involved the testing of hardness, wear, impact, tensile strength, fatigue etc. Conducted corrosion tests on different types of stainless steels by designing a corrosive environment to determine the life span of the material before it corrodes.The corrosion tests included the
following: stress corrosion cracking (SCC) test, hydrogen embrittlement,

erosion corrosion tests, pitting and crevice corrosion tests. Was also given an opportunity to supervise the students (vacation students) from various universities.
5,0
It is a very busy work space and very helpful in terms of growing in ones career path. I have required my SAP MM certificate and grown in applications.
4,0
A typical day at work it involves everyone doing their job allocations, and I learned to operate instruments like ICP-OES,AAS ,LECO and ICP-MS. The challenging part of the job was learning to work with toxic samples and being safe at the same time.And the enjoyable part of the work was friendly people and it made it easy to learn more each day.
5,0
Best Company by far to work for. They have empathy with the staff. Are always willing to assist employees.if ever i have the opportunity i would love to work with and for them again.
Pros
Closed Desember and possible yearly bonus payments
5,0
Good company to work for with lots of benefits. Staff is like one big family. Canteen food very delicious.
Clubhouse & social activities makes worklife balance enjoyable.
Pros
6months maternity leave, study assistant, annual leave
5,0
I have been with Mintek from 1991 to 2000 - what a fantastic company!

A typical day in the finance department was usually hectic, but everyone did their part and at the end of the day everyone smiled

I have learned to work hard, fast and be reliable

Management was always fair in their decisions

Culture - brilliant - everyone was involved

Hardest part of the job - to leave

Enjoyable - Friends made for a lifetime
Pros
good and secure parking
Cons
travelling
4,0
- It is a relaxed working environment where one is given an opportunity to manage and lead
- I learned a lot especially during my time at Mintek where I was running my own budget and managing a team from different environment

- Management was very good and always available to assist and give advise when required.

- Very good working culture where everyone is friendly and willing to assist

- Having to deal with difficult customers

- Being able to learn new things and making decisions
Pros
Flexible working hours
Cons
Cocking system was always frustrating
4,0
Mintek is a really nice place that has to focuses, (1) Research and academic publications (2) Commercial revenue and project income.

Mintek teaches you a lot in the mining industry. It offers a good place to train and develop your skills or obtain an MSc or PhD.

An overall nice company to work for. Management to become more involved
Pros
Canteen, Vacation Days, mentoring
Cons
Shiftwork
5,0
Projects are conducted on time and one can learn a lot from experienced professionals that have been working there for a long time. For me a lot of knowledge is acquired working on different ores from different companies.
Pros
Free lunches, library.
Cons
Long hours on pilot plants but it is great to work on thyem.
5,0
working in this company is very good because you dont focus only in one thing, hence you get to learn a lot of different things since it is more of a research company.
5,0
Mintek is a fun environment. I do not regret joining this company as there are so many things to learn. Our CEO also encourage us to study further with a plan of having more than 70 phd candidates
4,0
Great company and wonderful working environment that encourages growth. The staff is welcoming and open to new ideas without undermining new staff. I enjoyed my stay there it was short due to the fact that it was a vacational work post.
5,0
A very professional company to work for, reasonable hours everything about Mintek is exciting so far so good, the company is giving everyone opportunity study as much as they would like to, people at Mintek do help each other,

During Financial year end it was tough since projects needed to be closed but with the help from other people i have managed to finalize my closures

workplace culture yooo Mintek is exciting when comes to everything i cant even count i real enjoy to work in a professional place like Mintek.
Cons
Felix hours
3,0
A typical day at work includes, writing quotations for clients, managing projects, liasing wih different divisions and stakeholders to ensure the successful completion of the projects, running tests and writing reports.
Pros
28 leave days, availability of studyng opportunities
Cons
Low salary and low morale of staff rubs on to you
3,0
Customers do visit the workplace for purchases and we make their lives easier by displaying their daily products which they need, we offer good services to them.
Pros
Cons
Overtime occurs