MSC Cruises

MSC Cruises Employee Reviews

South Africa14 reviews
4,0
Actually there was no problem at work .
My experience was just fine the only problem came in when I wanted to go back to school so I could not manage both work and school at the same time
Pros
Free lunch and transportation
Cons
Health care
5,0
Its fairly hardwork as all jobs but its a great company to work for, with my overall experience .
You work with people of different cultures and religions and get to learn a whole lot about other peoples lives.
5,0
If Ms c can train the management that wil be a good thing most of the people loosing jobs there not because they have too because of some they dont know how to lead
4,0
It’s gud to go and build your own experience . A lot to learn and little time for it but it was a great challenge and interesting experience . Just follow the rules and all will be well
5,0
I started as a dishwasher and galley cleaner, and over the years I received a promotion and became the first South African to get this position on the msc fleet and that was all through hard work and passion.i was not easy but I have tried to make the experience a fruitful one
Hard work

Little free time

7 months contract

NO days off

Far from Family and Friends

ALL EQUATES TO

Great Job Stability

99% certainty of contact renewal

Great salaries as con tracts are US dollars

Travel the world

Company pays for flights and visas

Working enviroment is very professional and pleasant and most vessels feel like a second home in no time.
Pros
Free flights free visas free accomodation and lodging
Cons
Have to have STCW which is as ones own personal cost and also have to pay your owm medicals.
4,0
I started working for MSC from 2013 until 2019,it's been an amazing experience, travelling around the world,meeting different people with different diversity and learning international languages. As much as we have to put in lot of energy during working hours but it has advantages and disadvantages.
2,0
Management I found to be like a slave driver on the first ship and very judgemental and spiteful at the end on the 2nd ship. The manager had some good points in stopping harrassment of colleagues in no uncertain terms, but he would push limits, would take sides with his Serbian colleagues and not listen to truths. They said I would be in fine jewellery but this never happened until the gap opened up on the next ship.

The 2nd ship's manageress had no cooking clue what she was doing, so the assistant manager would do her work and his as well. Eventually he sent around a petition against her, which sited how vindictive she was against certain people. So unprofessional. She would make one recount stock multiple times, would not believe the counts, give stock sheets in non-alphabetical or numerical order just to be nasty, as per my colleagues. She sabotaged my career indeed, as I knew she would. She contravened the laws all the time. She was weak willed and would judge situations incorrectly. She was incredibly discouraging.

One had to clock in and out just for Half hour breaks, which as per their book, was not necessary. But that manageress marked me down for that. Eventually I felt she was victimising one for anything and everything.
Pros
Saw a few nice place, if and when I could get off. Learnt other languages
Cons
breaks of 1/2 hours were all no breaks at all
4,0
During my time at MSC I had the opportunity to get to know the cruise industry and working with their online systems. I learnt basic data capturing and how to liaise with clients.
Pros
Great working environment
Cons
Seasonal contract
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at MSC Cruises?
4,0
In my leadership I believe in investing my knowledge to crew members to ensure that high standards are being maintained and also consistency possibly.
Pros
Breakfast Lunch Dinner and Snacks after on
Cons
11 hours per day
4,0
I love working for Msc Cruises because i get to speak to clients from different background and culture , get to travel the world and meet interesting people .the call centre was always vibey even though they dont pay much .got along with most people .hardest part is that you can not visi family during holidays because its the most busy time . enjoyed discounts and i love traveling and cruising.
Pros
discount rates for stuff
Cons
no medical aid, no pension fund or bonus
1,0
a typical day at MSC meant that you would work very long hours per day, but you would always do it with a smile on your face. You need to be help the passengers and try communicate with them, even though most of them hardly spoke any English. I learnt how to communicate with other people and how to manage my time well. The hardest part of the job was when you had to work long hours without having a lunch break or a tea break due to the amount of work that has to be completed.
Pros
Having free lunch on board
Cons
The very long hours
4,0
The typical day at work use to start at 7:30 am and a few minutes after we signed in and got settled we would have daily meetings with the ships crew in which they would give us are report of how we performed in the checking in of passengers in our previous shift. I had learned that you have to have patients with customers and be extremely nice no matter what the conditions are. we had a fun, friendly and helpful team. the hardest part of the job was dealing with unhappy customers and what I enjoyed most was that the working environment that I was in kept me going the entire day. dealing with people who make you smile and actually appreciate the job your doing.
Pros
short working hours
Cons
non
5,0
I loved my job very much! We were a small group and everyone always made the group, not one was the out one and we were a team and workesd together. I learned to communicate with clients and i became more wise with all my skills as i did grow at MSC Cruises. My manager was a listener and she was reasenable. My co-workers were my friends, i did not see them as co-workers but friends, i know they would have help me with any work i get stuck with and cant reach the finish line. my co-workers believe we were a team! The hardest part of the job was we were in season, everyone was under pressure but we worked together as a team. The most enjoyable part of teh job was to know i am not alone!
Pros
End year functions, free lunch
Cons
work on weekends