National Oilwell Varco
3,9 out of 5 stars.

National Oilwell Varco Employee Reviews

Showing all 3 172 reviews
A local South African Company(Algoa Oil) was taken over by an international company, National Oilwell Varco. This was a huge culture change. Learning to deal with different methods and operating procedures was a great learning opportunity. The local management had to adapt to international mindset and a lot of new procedures applied. The work culture grew as we learned new operating systems and exposed more to new regulatuons. Applying the new mindset to older thinking managers seemed to be the difficult challenge. Meeting,learning and teaching personal on such a huge supportive level made the day great.
Pros
Exposure to International experiences and regulations
Cons
No opportunity to grow due to old internal management issues
Great ppl but managers that worked there are real negative ppl. Benefits were good and the training is good. They reward their employees with snacks and lunch at times.
Pros
Ot
Cons
Bad management
Good company, good benefits, pays well as long as you do your job and show them your capable to learn more than what you were hired for. Show initiative and you are rewarded with quick raises and chances for advancement
Pros
Pay, pto, sick leave, steady work environment
Cons
Work is tied to the price of oil, it falls so does available work causing layoffs every 5-7 years
NOV is a big, global company that purchased Containment Solutions. The pay is ok for my area. Alot of the employees take advantage of policies and let the "union" title get to their heads thinking that they are invincible from NOV. Certain positions should be paid higher wages,, especially the field service techs. There are a handful of really good workers who contribute alot of production in their positions in assembly. With that being said, there are twice as many employees in assembly who do not produce alot on their shift. Management doesn't take notice to all of the wasted time spent by employees, especially since it is well known which ones they are.
Pros
Decent wages for the area, easy worn
Cons
Bad employees, no appreciation/attention from management
Most people were great. Only problem is when you end up working with insane customers for months on a boat working 90+ hour weeks. Where you get paid about 10$ an hour because you're salary, and you see the bill to the customer at 200$ an hour. Doesn't feel too good.
I enjoy working at NOV. There’s opportunities to growth. It’s fun place to work. Good benefits. It provides tools and safety gears. Company’s picnic every year.
Pros
Opportunities
Cons
It will be relocated
It was a work hard play hard kind of job. It was a job that had a great career path until the market down turn of 2015. the job provided many opportunities to build friendships with customers and other salesman within the company.
Pros
building freindships
Cons
lots of windshield time
The company has good benefits. The work is enjoyable with coworkers that want to do a good job with you. Managers help you stay on track and want you to keep learning. Good job culture.
Had great coworkers that were always willing to help. Work could be stressful and with crazy hours being a 24 hour facility. overall decent place to work and got to meet interesting people on the boats that we loaded and unloaded.
Pros
typically work 7 on and 7 off, coworkers always joking around to make tbe work fun.
Cons
being away from home for 7 to up to 21 days at a time.
Learned allot at this company and was just getting my feet we in the oil and gas industry. Its a good place to work and build experience. Pay was pretty good with the overtime as well. Made quite a bit of money.
Every day safety meeting , low level management are only think to secure their position so dont be "smart" the more you stupid the more better for you, otherwise micro management will put you in trouble
Pros
benefits, breaks
Cons
managers
Management would share employees personal and private information without permission. Only one rotating day off every seven days. I had to learn and Train myself when I wanted to expand my knowledge base.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Culture, compensation, management
The recent management change and the deep involvement of HR has negatively affected the work environment and atmosphere which led to a clear decrease in the employees passion.
Cons
HR involvement in operations, management weakness
day to day is very different. lots of interesting challenges. management is not very involved, but should be more. great people to work with. I would have stayed longer but oil & gas is not headed anywhere for a while.
Company has no one clear vision and direction. Different branches use different work approaches, which makes data transition and communication very difficult.
Pros
gaining experience
Cons
no cooperation
Ok money, flights on commercial were crazy no matter how far you had to fly. Tools could have been better. Food on rigs was great, usually. If you stay away from home good job.
NOV was a great company to work for while price per barrel was up - when the price went down the corp IT management did everything they could to keep as many of us on as long as possible (6 months after other lay-offs started). Being out in the field 90% of the time the managers allowed me to get my job done without much hassle and were available when needed. Compensation was on the higher end and when business was doing great the bonus structure paid out very well.
Pros
Great to IT staff
Cons
business is dependent on oil
Set schedule minimum of 40 hours but often overtime was available. Good place to learn new things and branch out. Lot's of trust given to employees, allowed to work at your own pace. Encouraged to work smarter not harder. Management was as good as it gets in my opinion.
The job was challenging and usually fast paced. I felt like I was an important part of the team. I procured parts needed in production so they were able to stay on schedule and deliver finished equipment to our customers.
Pros
I didn't feel like I was micromanaged. I felt like management appreciated what I did.
Cons
The oil industry is cyclical and has always had some down cycles.
Since the NOI/Varco merger the new business model is to buy up companies with good products, innovation, and technology then milk them in to the ground for their shareholders to get a return. Like most oil and gas companies, if times are good and company is making record profits, you will get a little cost of living bump 2-3%. Then when times are bad 'we all have to make sacrifices' for the shareholders and the 'headwinds in the market'. Which means over the course of 10 or 20 years in your career you will basically make less than you started with cost of living-wise.On top of wages failing to keep up with inflation, NOV recently cut it's 401k match entirely, cut it's safe harbor match, outsourced it's credit union, and continual reductions in force leaves everyone doing more work while being paid less and less every year.
Pros
If you have a decent office job nobody will miss you half the time 'working from home'.
Cons
Everything else.
En la organización todos son una familia, están dispuestos a colaborarse unos a otros