National Oilwell Varco
3,9 out of 5 stars.

National Oilwell Varco Management reviews

A local South African Company(Algoa Oil) was taken over by an international company, National Oilwell Varco. This was a huge culture change. Learning to deal with different methods and operating procedures was a great learning opportunity. The local management had to adapt to international mindset and a lot of new procedures applied. The work culture grew as we learned new operating systems and exposed more to new regulatuons. Applying the new mindset to older thinking managers seemed to be the difficult challenge. Meeting,learning and teaching personal on such a huge supportive level made the day great.
Pros
Exposure to International experiences and regulations
Cons
No opportunity to grow due to old internal management issues
During my 4 years with NOV I have learnt a lot in a short period of time. Fellow workers and management worked well together were great. Workplace culture was something new to be experienced in South Africa and you gave and received recognition and respect.
Pros
top level training in various countries. Seeing what other countries are like.
Cons
Nothing comes to mind.
enjoyed working there. top management biased though. engineering team good relationship. support structures well co ordinated. learned a lot - projects, welding etc
Pros
profit based bonus
National Oilwell Varco is one of the top suppliers in Rigg and Mine tooling, with extremely hard working and professional employees from top management, down to the lowest paid employee.
Pros
good sallaries and benifits
Cons
Every day was a is a busy day we are handling new projects and finding ways to improve planning productivity. I learned that it is not only important to have priorities, but also to schedule them. I am lead by a great management team that let me handle my work as a mature person see problems and bring solutions or suggestions on my own or with team-work. I work with analytic people which have influenced my personality to better. The hardest part in production planning is trying to keep everybody happy also being realistic. The most bad part is being the first on to see that the organization is going to lose money in a project. Every day is a new day with new challenges, there is never a day where it is a slow day in planning.
Pros
Team spirit
Cons
Everyday is a learning and getting better day Learnt communication skills and respect Great management Family culture co-workers Facing difficult customers is hard The challenges and exposure is enjoyable
Pros
Culture and Compensation
Cons
Unexpected travel calls
When out on a job you work 12 hours a day 7 days a week and can spend long periods of time away from home. I learnt that service matters. If you put in hard work for the client you will see rewards. Management have there favourites but at the end of the day work quality is key. The hardest part of the job is being away from the family for long periods of time. The best part of the job is getting to see the world.
Pros
financially rewarding to be away from home
Cons
job stability
A typical day at work: Running production meeting in the morning, getting feedback and giving feed forward to project engineers ans sales engineers about their projects. Scheduling and rescheduling jobs with MS projects to archive delivery dates and smooth work flow. What I learnt: Speaking skills, presenting skills. advance MS excel and MS project skills Management: Leaders, team players. Co workers: Supportive and team players. The hardest part of the Job: Running a project with a very tight delivery date where there is no slack time allowed. The most enjoyable part of the job: Day to day job telling people what to do and when to do it.
Pros
Quarterly functions team end year functions.
Cons
Working on weekends and holidays some times