Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality

Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality Management reviews

South Africa46 reviews
4,0
Office administrator. Admin clerk.
My duties: Telephone calls, messages,welcoming clients,doing admin duties. I have learned to work in a team, as well as on my own without supervision. Management is strict rules and regulations. I have come to work well with everyone.The work i do is very enjoyable and i do it to the best of my ability and i enjoy every minute because for me its better to be busy all the time.
5,0
Diverse and fast paced work space
No two days are the same, your role mainly consists of working with people from different communities. You have an opportunity to work with great leaders and a strong management team.
5,0
Being a receptionist at municipality was great because i have learned how to communicate with different kind of people
I worked as a receptionist for 3 years at municipality and i studied at russell road college doing financial management. I loved working there and doing payment for the supplier was the great opportunity they have given me..
5,0
Local Government delivering services to the public residents, building houses to indigent families, offer bursaries to committed focused students,
This is an institution that is governed by National, Privincial & Local Governments spehers.

It has evolved in a number of years by recruiting people from various demographic groups, locals & foreigners.

Women & disabled people are encouraged to apply & have been appointed in Management positions
Pros
Housing Subsidies Medical Aid, Unemployment Insurance Fund, Bonuses, Performance Awards, Sick Leave, Maternity leave, Vacation Leave
Cons
Working overtime with no recognition or compensating, No recognition for educated employees, Lack chance of progress & growth to higher positions
Interesting and passionate
I was working at legal services department on Contract Management section.
I have learned a lot about drafting of a contract, lease agreement as well as transfer of property.

i was also placed at litigation and claims department which was so interesting and challenging. I enjoyed consultations with legal experts , stakeholders as well as municipality clients.

I further worked at corporate governance where we were dealing with by laws, advising and providing municipal council with opinions on legal related matters and doing outreach for public participation
4,0
Professional Environment. Open door policy to management. Being part of a lager whole that serves the public
The Nelson Mandela Metro Municipality specifically the Drawing Office where I am employed is a very professional Environment. We cater to the daily needs of our Electrical Engineers as well as outside customers with electrical information in various formats. The management favor an open door policy whereby all staff are encouraged to have a say in what works and does not.
The hardest part of the job would be all the red tape that exists in government department .Staff shortages are also common place.

The most enjoyable part is being part of a service that the public deems a necessity.
Very productive workplace
I loved working for Worker's Unlimited. Best Management skills and ethics. Worker's Unlimted had the best employers, made everything easy and simple and very caring
Cons
Long hours amd we were situated in a area which is well known business robberies
fun
Legal Advosor
contracts management
SLA drafting
Report Writing

Negotiation and finalizing contracts

briefing of Counsel
Pros
normal
Cons
normal working hours
Student induction coordinator
Preparing for next induction programs and also arranging Bay stars roadshow. Dealing with the suppliers. How to place orders, how to manage supplier communication, and events coordinating. Management was great, meeting conducted in proper manner, out come of the events were met. Had the best team ever, used to call our team as dream team. I would go back any day. Dead lines and the accounting officer i would struggle for him to approve the budget for orders that we need. To see the final product coming together.
Pros
close to home
Cons
Student salary
Productive and Challenging
I was afforded the opportunity to complete my internship with the Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality, an opportunity I am eternally grateful for. I was placed with Human Settlements Department, under the Social Development & Education Administration sub-directorate. This Directorate mainly dealt with Social Housing provision and issues around it. I got the opportunity to rotate within the three sections, mainly 'Informal Housing' where we dealt mainly with relocations within the Metro, 'Community Development Facilitation' dealt with educating the community about the Councils Housing Policy, empowering them through various workshops and introducing any new development plans provided by various Services Providers, and lastly 'Land Invasions' dealt with monitoring illegal land invasions within the Metro. Extensive travelling within the Metro was at the core of the job function. The downside would have to be dealing with angry and very demanding communities who wanted things to happen overnight and failed to grasp that the are due processes put into place and that sustainable development takes time. Management was lovely, exposed me to all the sections within the department, i learned so much. My co-workers were just as lovely, some took advantage of my intern role...lol, but i did not mind because in the process i was learning to, so it was a fair trade, expect for when they required me to do things outside of the work environment...i was not pleased at all.
Pros
Travelling, meeting new people
Cons
Long hours, angry community members
Job Satisfaction and Organisational Climate
A typical day was filled with hard work and goal driven. It has taught how to relate with people in general,colleagues and the public.
The management was impeccable, they set our goals we had to meet and wet had met them. They made it easy for us to work like a team, always being there to assist if a problem manifested itself.
The hardest part has to be in dealing with a stubborn customer, but with that I came to learn that the customer is always right.

I enjoyed dealing with the public and I never struggled with dealing with the delegated work.
Pros
Supervisor gave us longer lunches
Cons
Its dealing with difficult customers
5,0
Its a pleasant enviroment to work in, I enjoy everday at work.
It can be diffucult at times, as at some internal positions are created for certain individuals.
4,0
Productive work space and a healthy environment to work in.
A typical day day at work for me is is comimng to work and recieve requets for Pictometry installs. Then someone comming in to request for maybe a ward boundary map.And also creating maps for other people in the municipality.I have learnt to work with other people well and understand different kinds of personalities even my co-workers. The management is very good, and they understand when one has a personal problem. Is having to travel to all the different buildings of the municipality without any transport is the hardest especialy on a very hot day or a rainy day. I enjoy working with people.
Pros
Team work
Cons
Having to install Pictometry software for hundreds of users in the metro alone.
2,0
unproductive, no room for inprovement, management don't look aftr employees.
* quiet, not much to do between 8th and 25th of each month
* don't learn much as senior consider their work highly confidential, meaning juniors don't have to learn or know alot in their absence.

* management don't care about employees, staff meetings are never held with us, problems never get solved, ignorance is the main problems the end of the day.
* everybody has the same non-caring attitude towards their works because no one gives a listening ear, not even the unions.

* there is no hard part of the job, as solving problems with employees, is easy because copies are kept for verification purposes.

* going home in the afternoon.
Pros
permission to go to the bank on payday, personal problems, you get permission to go sort out.
Cons
air-cons been off for more than 2 years and doesn't get attended to.
Productive and fun workplace
A typical day at GM was never the same. I worked at this company for 13years, and I enjoyed every moment of it. I worked well with co-workers as well as management. The hardest part was leaving the company when my job become redundant.
5,0
Very nice environment to work with
On a Monday morning when you have to deal with pople and different types of queries I have learned to be patient when dealing with people by appliying 'HEAT' service to Hear, Empathy, Assist,Take action. Take orders from management and deliver work in as a team with my co-workers. The hardest part of my job is dealing with difficult customers who are very stuborn but I have learned to be always patient and understanding. What is enjoyable is when I meet deadlines and getting everything done for the day.
Pros
30 Minutes lunch brake
Cons
start working from 8 to 4:30
4,0
The fact that the NMBM is runned by politicians with different political views makes it difficult for smooth running of service delivery
I work in a conducive enviroment with lot of challenges which are manageable.I have to make sure the Housing Consumer Education is received by all communities in the Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality,and also the challenges experienced by these communities are being addressed by the relevant government departments.I have to make sure that the policies and the bylaws are explained correctly and are being understood by the consumers.Being in the line management has taught me a lot dealing with different staff members with different behaviours.I always make sure that I mantain good work ethics wherever I go to give good reflection about the Municipality,and always be accountable.

The hardest side of the work that I am doing is when you i come across with needy beneficiary and his/her needs are out of my scope of work and the person that Iam reffering this beneficiary to is unable to assist due to carelessness and bad work ethics.

The most enjoyable part of my job is when I see that many people are positively benefiting from the program that I am offering,and it is serving the purpose of being an eye opener to the disadvantaged people,they understand the policies,their rights,the Municipal bylaws,they receive what is due to them.
Pros
Car allowance
2,0
Political and not motivational
A typical day for me is getting to the office at 07:30, check my diary, get ready for meetings. I have at least one meeting in a day. I'll check all emials and repond on the urgents ones immediately. Most of the meetings starts at 10h00. I will attend to task I have been appointed to do at the meeting. I'll check on the bursar students as they have queries everyday. I can rely on at least two of my co-workers if and when I need assistance. Management are not very helpful at all. Most of the time they will redirect me as they are unable to assit me. The most enjoyable part of my job is that I help and assit employees everyday. I see then develop, grow and move on and that is so satifying. The hardest part of my job is that I can not rely on Management as they do not want to take reponsibility.
Pros
office bound
Cons
so many unproductive meetings
4,0
The jobs is interesting and challenging
Cordinates projects, performs administrative work, attend telephone, assist co-workers. Exposed to the Skills development environmnet, the relevant Policies and Acts.
Management supportive and encourages employee growth
Hardest part of the job, dealing with difficult people, goverment procedures taking a long time before things happen
The most enjoyable part of the job, dealing with people as wide, facilititing, taking responsibility, making own decisions and when complex takes it to the immediate supervisor
Pros
given an opportunity to rich the sky limit on tasks performing and own initiative
Cons
individual development growth not prohibited, no career opportunities available to individual
3,0
Politically influenced
I must say that I enjoy my work. I interact with people on a day to day basis and I just love it. Seeing people grow and develop is the satisfaction I receive at the end of a long hard day at work.
My co-workers, some give their full cooperation and are very helpful, than there are those who just sponge of others as if it is second nature.

I have learned how to deal with people as everyone can not be treated the same due to the different backgrounds they are from, the different level of education, etc. I have learned how to deal with conflict, how to prioritise work, how to do a skills analysis and how to manage my time well.

Management can be a problem. Not everyone understands the purpose of skills development and the importance thereof hence they do not give their full cooperation. There have been instances where employees could not attend training because management would not release them from their duties for the day.
The hardest part of my work is the environment in which I work. Everything is political, whether it is relevant or not. The politicians have the final say whether they understand why certain things are done or should be done. Their decision is final.
Pros
assisting in the development of others
Cons
everything is politically influenced