Old Dominion Freight Line
3,6 out of 5 stars.

Old Dominion Freight Line Employee Reviews

3,1Work-Life Balance

Showing all 1 250 reviews

Good place to work, but management doesn't see you as a person really.

Old Dominion Freight Lines is a good place to work. The other employees are great to work with as well. I will say that the environment is stressful due to the fast-paced culture. The drawback of the company is that management doesn't care about the employee, per se, but rather about the numbers and results they produce.

Amazing place to work!

Amazing company to work for! I've only been here 2 years so far and already received 2 raises and promoted from part time to full time because they were impressed with my work ethics. They honor their employees a few times a year with party events, food, and an annual raise. Everyone is also very friendly and easy to work with. Benefits and vacation time is pretty decent as well. Weekends off and paid major holidays off. Great Monday through Friday schedule.

Used to be a great place to work.

Management at my location only worry about their bonuses now. They could care less about your life and family. Really sad to see this place turn out this way.

Pros

Pay

Cons

So many

Great money

Some got to give, if you want money is there for the grab. Was a awesome company to work for, but past years have been a culture shift of the company no more familiy oriented company.

Pros

Pay, benefits

Cons

Work life

This is a good place to work

Great pay and it is the best job .If you to grow with a company this one you need to be at. The supervisor or Great people to work for. Manager come out on the docks and talk to the dock workers every day.

Good work place, poor management

Management doesn’t communicate and help fix issues that constantly occur. They could be the smallest thing and no solution. Pay is good and over all not a bad place to work

Compensation and benefits are phenomenal. Hours can be long at times.

ODFL is a fantastic company to work for. It's no dream job and not everyone who I worked with felt the same way I did but in comparison to other jobs it is a 4-5 star company. Hours can be a little long at times and possibly could last up to a few months during the winter seasons but in my opinion the pay and benefits greatly outweigh that particular negative aspect.

You're just another number

Just another large company that treats you like a number instead of a person. I had a horrible experience working here and personally shy people away from considering driving for them based on my story

Pros

Cons

you're not treated good.

Good pay, terrible schedules.

Pays well, but expect to be on night shift a while. It’s an open air dock, so sometimes the environment isn’t the greatest. Overall, not a bad place, they just don’t offer much incentive to do good work/work hard.

Love it here

It was a cool place to work I meet different people and they are nice to me you should come work here if you need money and friends they treat us like family

Pros

Equipment

Cons

Home time

Great job

Great company to work for. Great teamwork and room for advancement. Family oriented. Great time off. Great vacation time as well as awesome insurance.

Pros

Money

Cons

Bad weather

Productive fun place to learn

Good place to learn and grow from with in if your a hard worker must be earned,fast paced and a bit physical demanding, overall good place to succeed

Pros

Great pay room for advancement

Cons

Physically demanding and fluctuating schedule

Bad management and dispatchers

Dispatchers and managers treat other workers badly and their drivers especially. They’re rude and act like they don’t need the drivers. That’s all that’s bad about it.

Bad

Company is bad and not good for me at all I would advise anyone to stay away from old dominion freight line. It’s not a good company at all the managers are cut throat.

Terrible Management

Amazing pay and benefits but Management is TERRIBLE. They really have no idea how to manage at all and only promote their friends or favorites. Doesn't matter how hard you work at all. This place needs training on how to manage...and how to train.

Pros

Great benefits and pay

Cons

Poor management, no work/life balance, horrible hours, toxic environment

Great job and opportunity to make great money

Great company in the LTL world. Management was fair, life work balance could be challenging working 8-12 hours a day, but great pay can write your own check most weeks, great miles

Good company overall

Overall good company. Things constantly changing, not sure if that's good or bad at the moment. Pay is good and so are the benefits. Your typical LTL job.

Pay & Work/life balance

I was well compensated for the work I did. At my age, I did not see myself advancing beyond the dock in the next 10 years. Weekends off was nice, however working split shifts made it tough to have a social life or family time outside of the weekend.

Good company

I have been with the company for over 10 years and I love it. No complaints. It’s third shift work but I knew what I was getting into when I applied. It’s not for anyone.

Very tired all the time working night shift

Was told may never be on day shift unless I been here 15 years or more . I mean the pay is decent but like with inflation it’s practically nothing . Always tired working night shift I can’t ever sleep well during the day / week . Equipment is okMore on the bad side . Lots of cliques here as well . Gotta watch your back on the dock

Good pay and benefits

Great pay overall benefits are good long days but paid well for it. Management is ok work isn’t hard the normal for ltl work. Long days good pay overall.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Old Dominion Freight Line. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Based on 1 250 reviews

3,1 out of 5 stars for Work/Life Balance
4,1 out of 5 stars for Salary/Benefits
3,2 out of 5 stars for Job Security/Advancement
3,0 out of 5 stars for Management
3,3 out of 5 stars for Culture
  • Old Dominion Freight Line
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?