Old Mutual Life Assurance Company
4,0 out of 5 stars.

Old Mutual Life Assurance Company Employee Reviews in Port Elizabeth, Eastern Cape

It's a nice environment Stressing sales You need to make sure you are good and tolerant of rude clients and management, racism is too much need be careful if you are black
Working in a diversed environment , where i not just work in a team but mostly learn from all with different character traits, can be challening but also constructive .
Pros
competing with self in a target driven environment
Cons
You meet new people every day and you must try to learn what they want or not because client is always ryt so there is nothnothing more I can say besides of stressing job ever u deal with targets
Pros
free coffee, free brochures
Cons
any time
Marketing Old Mutual products and advising people with their financial problems by convincing them to save and invest money with the company this was interesting because I had to deal with different people everyday.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
travelling
The first thing I did in the in the morning was to make sure the staff cleaned the tables, floors and swept and cleaned the deck. One of the owners would be on hand to show the previous nights takings and to give them the completed cash ups.Any incidents that were written in the incidents book would be discussed. Next would be allocating waitresses to their various bays for the day. If there were any deliveries- food, non alcoholic or alcoholic, then they would be checked in.All orders were booked and usually by that stage we would get ready for the lunchtime trade where I would check that all orders were out on time, check on clients,checking the waitresses were working to high standard. After lunch around 4:30 I would cash up the waitresses and the next shift would arrive.The next shift manager would arrive and before leaving for the day, I would discuss any important bookings or any pertinent points that may have arisen. My hours were:Monday 17h00 to closing. Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday:08h30 to 17h00 Thursday : Off Weekends:08h00 to 17h00 sometimes changing to night shift.
Pros
Free meal allocation, meeting new and known people constantly.
Cons
My family suffered a bit because I worked a 6 day week.
On a typical day at work I provide support to sales consultants, services consultants and the project manager. I have learned so much about the retirement fund industry. Management is great as they ensure that the whole team wins together and the co-workers are always there to assist. I have not encountered any challenges in my job yet. Lastly the most enjoyable part of my job is learning new things everyday and working with the most hard working and knowledgeable co-workers in the industry.
Pros
Company values and culture
Cons
We had club 51 were I was chosen as the vice president of the club it was formed to make sure that sales are achieved and it was an honour to belong to this club as a representative . Old mutual trained us in all aspects of management they were very good in that. This is where I learned Insurance.
Pros
Road shows
Cons
over14 hours
- report to office and paying visits to clients. - I learned how to approach people - Motivating gatherings very fun leading to productiveness. - Helping each other with transport and sharing petrol. - when clients decide to ignore their obligations - Friday meetings to display the production of the week when that has gone well.
Pros
Motivating lunches
Cons
Chasing deadlines visiting even no go areas which could be very dangerous
A typical day starts with a meeting where employees are afforded an opportunity to share aspects of the job they found most challenging. Managers facilitate the process of finding solutions to those challenges.That would be followed by administration duties, such as calling clients/prospects to make appointments, and attend scheduled appointments. Management is very supportive,especially to subordinates who ask for assistance, and more importantly they work as team. My co-workers are pleasant group of professionals. Hardest part of the job is to tell a client that we cannot help him or her. I enjoy seeing clients happy because of the good service we have rendered.
Pros
Being able to design and implement an individual business plan.
Cons
Having to use one's car and fuel to attend to client's appointments, and other work related activities.
Cold calling in order to secure appointments. Own transport, petrol etc required. We were required to make 100 calls, in order to achieve 20 appointments, to make 5 sales. Appointments were mainly done in the evening. The flexabilty of the position was nice, however, when a sales was made, should the client miss a premium, this would result in a "Claw Back" on comm paid.
Pros
Flexability
Cons
Unknown salary
This position has taught me that you only know your capabilities and abilities when challenges arises, and the your attitude toward those challenges defines your competence as a worker. Most people that i have worked with that are in management have taught me so much about values and ethics in the workplace, they have been insiparitional and this one manager constantly advising me about school and the importance of education. Like any other work place, you do get co-workers that are easy to work with and you do get those that are not easy to work with however, I dont take it personally as long as I know wat I'm here for. The Hardest part of my job is having to reject candidates that were not successful in interviews and who are desperate for the job. The most enjoyable part of my job is having to let candidates know that their interviews has been a success and that they have been appointed.
Pros
Flying to Cape Town for Year End function
Cons
Having to reject desperate people that were not successful in interviews
this i s a good company ,manegemant skills,professional .....i enjoy working @old mutual .salary i goodthe hardest part is to get lives
Pros
s&t
Cons
working around the clock
it was a good working environment, used to work outdoors to search for clients. i have learnt a lot in dealing with people and public speaking. we worked as groups of three and i must say it was challenging. what i like most about the company was the targets we had to reach and the conditions we were working under.
Pros
target meet and greater bonuses
Cons
the more relax you are, the more you suffer