Old Mutual Life Assurance Company

Old Mutual Life Assurance Company Employee Reviews for Senior Administrator

great place to work with people and many more.. Management though, no job security and lack of respect for employees, and what the employees put in for them.
Good company with very good benefits. Great leadership. Has a work life balance for most departments depending on what kind of work you do. Some could departments like call centers and back office could become challenging based on workload.
My typical day at the office starts very early I am at the office from 7am-5:30pm. I come to my desk sit and then hardly move unless its to go to the ladies or make coffee. I have learned that with certain positions peoples "power" go to there heads. I have been employed at Old Mutual for 5 years now and management has changed so many times there was a point in time I had no idea who I was supposed to report to, Workplace culture: not very satisfying. The hardest thing about my job is that there is no fixed process and procedure due to this I cannot function optimally. Also to many changes
Pros
Sometimes we receive little gifts in the form of free lunch vouchers and little care packages.
Cons
No structure in my team.
Old Mutual always has a vibrant buzz motivating you to either do your best or encouraging you to study and better yourself. I have learnt that doing something right the first time is always the best option as short cuts or ' leave for later' is not a good work ethic. Old Mutual is managed by some of the most highly skilled individuals always striving to accomplish great things for both client and company. Keeping up with Old Mutual's many changes and firsts for South Africa can be challenging but very rewarding. The many diverse events celebrating sport, health, wealth and so many other interests in our society makes Old Mutual a very enjoyable workplace.
Pros
Free tea and coffees and the occational cake treat.
Cons
No lunch discount
Stressful, target driven, constant dashboard reporting, meetings, projects and continuous deadlines I enjoy every second of it! Awesome place to work in, safe and clean. A small city on it's own which limits employees from having to take off to attend to pay or query accounts, go to Dr etc
Pros
Opportunity to study
Cons
Parking and Gym Fees expensive
Its a very target driven environment where the work load and queue is prioritised alot and measures are always taken to ensure that the queue is always attended to
I enjoyed working for Old Mutual. Its where I gained my confidence because that is where I was given opportunity to do presentations in front of corporate people. I interacted with client telephonically and face to face.
Pros
Lots of conferences whereby we meet potential clients
Cons
The retrechment of employees
meet deadlines all day long. I grew tremendously over the years. not always the best but difficult circumstances and world invoroment to operate in. helpful worked well as a team and shared knowledge not always being able to access the data needed new challenges on a daily basis
Pros
exellent training
Cons
log hours
An early start to the day is always the best!! Coffee at the office at 7.15 am reviewing emails and planning the day ahead, takes me to our daily morning meeting. Thereafter, accessing portals for reconciliations, SARS queries , daily processing and reconciliations. We have a fantastic culture and co-wokers are super in our finance team. The hardest part of the job is limitations placed on the scope of my expertise. ( I fullfill my role and much more, however, I am able to share much more expertise ) Our systems are dynamic and always improving!!!
Pros
Flexi Time - able to manage daily work schedule
Cons
slow development
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Old Mutual Life Assurance Company?
I have learned that nobody is going to do anything for you unless you gonna do it for yourself. The management style doesn't suite me, because I am a firm believer in lead by example. The people I work with is amazing.The thing I enjoy the most is working with people.
Pros
Free lunches when we meet SLA.
Cons
Working for this company was enjoyable and loved the people. Many of the people became family because of the number of years we worked together. A typical day was busy, some more stressful than others. Lots of opportunity to grow and learn.
Understand and apply risk policy terms and conditions.  Ensure timeous implementation of revised rates.  Obtain and validate member data against policy terms.  Calculate premium due and generate premium billing.  Ensure the timely and accurate collection of monthly premiums.  Reconcile monthly premiums and maintain scheme accounts.  Resolve scheme balances and collect on outstanding premiums.  Manage scheme and member data controls.  Finalise scheme accounts on discontinuance
My day basically starts immediately when i log on as the work is increasing due to the merging of our company.I learn a lot in the position I am currently in as the situations is always changing due to factors of death and dependents, this is one of the best parts of my job as your not only learn about processes but about how to put it into a real life situation. I hold a senior role in the company is a position of manager of self and therefor have a good relationship with management and my piers. The hardest part of my job must be the clients I calling while in morning to explain why they do not have any funds in the investment and all while in morning.
Pros
the learning
Cons
the growth opportunity
Old Mutual is a good company to work for, but unfortunately for some of us young black female in particular, it is very hard to grow within the company. As for me i'm trying so hard to be in a HR Department but with little experience theres no opportunities for me. The culture environment is also sometimes a factor, as people/staff find it difficult to adapt with different cultures as we are all different and diverse in our own unique way. Management, however will always be hierachy from Top to bottom and not bottom to up. My direct manager however, we are transparent and work along fine.
Pros
flexibility
Cons
salary