Old Mutual Life Assurance Company
4,0 out of 5 stars.

Old Mutual Life Assurance Company Management reviews

The management needs to motivate the workers not push on targets only without checking on them are they coping or not. Yes the business its about target and all but some months are not the same when it comes to business.
Pros
Yes there were free lunches when you perform well.
Cons
Long hours was a big problem rep up meetings and yiu need to go to taxi rank it was quite risky.
Financial/Interest focused . It’s a great company to work for except that the management in our department make me feel like I’m working for a different company, team spirit is not there but we had limitations to our fun days. People are being macro managed most times but we try to make the best of our long hours.
Pros
Cons
No growth
It is a culture at old mutual PFA to hold meetings every Monday, especially to give information on Merit. As challenging as the job is, you get learn to be an entrepreneur, time management is very crucial, therefore you have to be able to manage your time very well because every is important. There is a smooth line of management, it is to know the correct go-to-person for everything. There is a merit listing called "51 club". The 51 club quarterly functions were created to inspire advisers and they are a true inspiration. The hardest part of the job is when you are up against meeting your monthly targets while you also have to minimize the clients' lapses. The most enjoyable part is the functions and being awarded for completing the 51 club round.
Pros
Free trips with our families.
Cons
Meeting clients after hours, even in the evenings. Not getting paid on the months that you did not meet your target.
Old Mutual Finance is a great employer I've ever worked for. It possesses a great culture, built on very strong values, very inclusive of its employees, management is very transparent and offers great benefits to its employees.
Pros
Monthly Incentive Scheme and Phantom Shares Programme
Cons
My experience at Old Mutual is not good and I would not recommend anyone to apply there. Very hierarchical, difficult to explore innovative solutions. Old management style.
Pros
Retirement scheme - you have an option
Cons
Medical aid scheme - you dont have a choice
The company does not basically fight for its people regarding customer complaints even when the client is wrong which in most casea the client is wrong. The people at the company though are fun to work with however I cannot say the same about management.
Follow up on appointments, attend to call and mails. Managing both brokers diaries. Welcoming clients and managing a filling system. Management was great, good people to associate with and learn more about the company and the people working there
Pros
Long lunch
Cons
A few out of town meetings
I enjoy working in a team and on my own.i like be challenged to boost the batteries again. i dont like it when people keep on pressing on old mistakes,because we all learn from it and need to improve and move on.The hardest part of this job is to go physically look for clients and still offer them insurance,some you still need to objection handle to the extreme.The work culture is fine.Management everywhere is never a good thing to speak about from any company,as long as you do what is expected then all should go well,that is my mojo.
A typical day at work - entails a check-in on each business unit in the morning to ensure stability followed by a briefing with management to discuss the previous day's events and highlight any urgent requests for the upcoming week. Thereafter, I will manage all business outages with IT and finalize outstanding office projects/tasks. What you learned - I have acquired skills enabling me to build and maintain relationships as well as communicate with various levels of management and staff. This is vital for prompt service restoration. I have learnt to 'own' each incident and ensure that it is managed according to its SLA. Management - A manager is someone who helps to create and enforce not only current company policy, but also the company’s direction for success in the future. My management has motivated, supported and assisted in developing me, enabling me to competently perform my daily function. Workplace culture - I believe that learning about the similarities and differences of others creates a team that communicates at a high level. I work hard to develop relationships with others so that I can truly understand who they are as individuals. This helps me know how best we can work together. I volunteer annually with a community projects so as to expose myself with diverse populations. The hardest part of the job - is obtaining a client's approval or understanding that a different business unit has an outage or a high priority request therefore their level 4 or 5 request will be addressed thereafter. I usually manage the request in between outages but I prefer - more...
Pros
Being able to educate myself using various mediums, as well sharing the information, Never allowing myself to be in a comfort zone as each day i am faced with different scenarios
Cons
Use of Innovation and initiative Communication Assertive Self motivated Organized Dedicated Time Management Attention to detail Customer Orientated
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Old Mutual Life Assurance Company?
management are skill full progressive company lots of opportunities lots of support from management fun place to work there is no basic salary, commission only
Nice to work for them. Dealth with patience,doctors and company management.This was exciting and teaches one patience to deal with clients .In assessing claims you have to be up to date with all conditions as you decide on length of sick leave as well
Pros
Exciting environment
Cons
Distance
Interacting with clients on a daily basis. Product knowledge is a necessity . Highly competitive industry . Allowed for accreditation in a new industry . Being a Financial Advisor allows for personal time management .
Pros
Time management
Cons
Flexible salary
I learnt here how bad culture eats strategy for lunch. Culture is not very inclusive yet. It is not a culture that likes constructive, honest feedback that challenges the status quo (no matter how well it is done, it is not received well). Senior Managers swing between management by love to management by fear in certain divisions. They are working hard to change the culture. That takes time to achieve. Company offers good perks, They have good products and a great brand. Terrible at career/talent development. They do not have a plan for managing talent in the business, There is no real development plan for talent. Silo mentality means that there is no exposure / rotating of talent across business units. There is very little project work assigned to top talent. Silo mentality also means that each area does not know much about other areas in the business. There is very little collaboration within and across business units. There is very little information sharing even across distribution areas selling the same products. There is a lot of good competition internally that works well to motivate teams. Yet, there does not seem to be any collaboration for creation of strategy, product strategy, etc. There are great recognition processes in place for sales teams and non-sales staff. Internal efficiencies are based more on personal relationships than efficient processes. IT system is old but being overhauled in the next year or two. There is still a lot of transformation required in key areas. With the right people in the right place, a better - more...
Pros
Good brand, products and perks.
Cons
Bad culture. terrible @ talent management / career development.
Learn all about claims assessment, management, risk and case assessment principles, and client service. There is a great sense of work culture and support from fellow staff.
Pros
flexiable time
attending face to face clients and telephone queries. processing new business for financial advisors. making stats for the management for the month end meetings.
Pros
Cons
normal working hours
To much changes and movements in department, management don't have any people skills to treat staff with respect and is very inpatient. Unreachable and unfair target that is expected of staff to reach each and every month. There is no time to have fun as it is just work, work, work. Micro management, extremely target driven and nothing is an excuse if you don't reach that target each and every month. Management is targeting and treating certain staff with disrespect and no patient or with correct people skills. Team Leaders humiliate you in front of everyone. Hardest part of the job is to reach the unfair targets without any assistance from some Team leaders. There is no positive motivation and support from team leaders.
Pros
nothing
Cons
long hours, work 11 hours most days without any overtime payment
Each day has its own pros and cons. Working with and learning from different types of people is a highlight. Customer driven environment. targets are set by management and I need to ensure that I make my daily and monthly targets.
Pros
team and customer diversity
Cons
recognition
I had a very good time working at old mutual, and gained more experience from management and the staff. e.g how to handle angry clients, how to do follow ups on non paying clients, how to separate personal problems so that they wont affect you at work.
Pros
Birthday celebrations for staff
Cons
Long hours on month end to meet monthly target
Good management but extremely competitive and difficult working environment. Sales targets are difficult to achieve in the overall market. But this company has the brand recognition to offset that somewhat.
Pros
Managememt
Cons
Difficulty
setting up appointments, i enjoyed meetings and outings, hardest part of the job was signing up clients. the people i worked with where very helpful, management is all to themselves