OUTOTEC

OUTOTEC Employee Reviews

South Africa14 reviews
4,0
You can eat at your own time, drink coffee a hundred times a day, as long as you get your job done and work your hours.
Healthy emotional environment but not good for a graduate because you are left to fend for yourself, design your own learning structure.

It's a great company to work for though.
Pros
Cake every month end
Cons
Lack of mentoring and support for a junior.
5,0
I love the flexibility of hours given to workers and how the management go all out in assisting their employees in achieving their goals and always help out in the personal lives of their employees
5,0
Nice working at Outotec. Good management. Top management and HR always lesson the views of employers. They always make sure the employers are happy all the time. And safety is their priority
5,0
I don't how I can explain it but it good company to me that's all I can say and it give you enough time to rest so you can not be on fatigue it has good magement
Pros
My lunch
Cons
Normal hours
5,0
Excellent company to work for in the corporate world. The level of accounting exposure is unbelievable, dealing with local and global functions. We use SAP as our accounting program, which is one of the best accounting software in the world. Outotec provides equivalent training and room for improvement in the finance department.
5,0
I started with Outokumpu in 2001 and due to organisational changes etc. my career ended with Outotec of nearly 15 years.

I was privileged to have worked with different organisations and technologies from a few countries and departments, always with new challenges and a lot of times a first in South Africa.

Management styles changed over the years with some phenomenal people when I started. A "can do" aptitude was the pre-requisite for employment not necessarily formal qualifications and trusting you do do your work to the best of your abilities not having to or wanting to look over your shoulder or rubber stamping everything.

Customers satisfaction came first even if came at a cost "sometimes you win and sometimes you learn" but winning and keeping customers and colleagues trust was fundamental in our success.

What I learned was trust is a very expensive commodity and treat people how you want to be treated.

Hardest part of the job was dealing with some people and their agenda and using your trust for their own gain.

The most enjoyable part was constant change and growth with exposure to different countries and organisational cultures, various technologies, having some of my perceptions changed of my own country, organisation and subsequently the countries and organisations I traveled to in Africa or abroad.
Pros
Multi national company vast exposure and learning opportunities.
Cons
Management & Organisational changes and becoming a number
I managed the E & I Department
I had six Engineers in my team

Supported Project Managers

Did a lot of travel in Africa

Travelled to Germany

Develloped Mining Industry skills

Wanted to retire from here

I was Retrenched as the Company could no longer afford me
Pros
Exciting
Cons
Away from home
3,0
Duties: Continuation of my role as Sales & Proposal Engineer, in charge of all related Proposals in the Sub-Sahara Region. Meet 100% of agreed targets of functionality, estimates and time frame.
Reason for leaving: Retrenched
4,0
Typical Project environment. Can be busy at times. Overall made very good friends. Work on some very good projects. Generally it was fine
5,0
Getting up in the morning was such a joy knowing I am going to a place where I worked mainly independently and that my skills and ideas were recognized. The whole culture was very relaxed, open door policy and the respect for one another was outstanding. We had monthly braai's to relax a bit, gym contracts to maintain the balance, women's day outings, etc. It was really the best job thus far
Pros
Gym Contract, Petrol Card, Monthly braai
each day its different, challenges on day 2 day
no matter how hard it might be, be yourself and focus on your job

good, friendly, and supportive

you know every work place there are enemies, people who will try to put you down

when the production is not coming out and you have to face the management and explain

when everything is going according to plan and you have nothing to worry about.
Pros
normal lunch
Cons
short time
3,0
The work environment is friendly so are the co-workers. The enjoyable part of the work is working as a team to achieve one goal.
Pros
Social events
Cons
normal hours
4,0
Profesional and workerholic in companies like outotec you must be handon, even if you are in management to be productive and fullfil the organisation objective.
Pros
Goodcare of employees
Cons
Required hours
Typical Day at Work
. Sales Meetings and planning

. Technical updates

. Sales Plans Reviews

. Member of Metallurgical internal Forum (Meetings)

I have learned

. Customer Relations

. Technical Support

. Managing Sales Targets

Co-workers

. Always keen to help

. Work as a team

. Not responding to issues until late

. Less interaction with the employees

Hardest part of my job

. When not managing to make sales

. When i don't have relevant answers to my clients

Most Enjoyable part of my job

. To provide solutions to my clients

. To reach my sales targets

. To do site and audits

. To always be available to my clients
Pros
Extensive exposure to technical sales and marketing
Cons
Departmental mismanagement