Oxford University Press

Oxford University Press Employee Reviews

I enjoyed working there for 3 months. People are very friendly ans polite. Really like there work ethic and everyone knows what to do. I recommend any one to work for Oxford.
I freelance for OUP and every editor that has had to put up with me has been fantastic. I received feedback on my writing that was helpful and constructive. The feedback was timely and supportive. Producing a textbook is a difficult task and I felt the editors and managers did their best under challenging deadlines and expectations.
Pros
OUP has a strong footprint in South Africa so if you write for them and the textbook is accepted, they can market the book.
Cons
Authoring is pressured and deadlines are tight.
A very interesting job where you meet different kinds of personalities almost evryday. Hard-work is always required and is all that I was looking forward to doing and achieving. A very highly recommended company to work in and is better paying.
I would prefer not to elaborate on my experience ,but the day to day activities / work is fairly hard graft but well worth it as you can see the outcomes.
I really like working here due to management always give reconise you in any aspect of your work, never got this at the prevouis companies. Everybody that works in our team are really hardworking.
Pros
You may take a break when needed but must know how long
Cons
Just long hours in our busy season
Enjoyed working as a team, social events and growing with the company. Great leader ship skills and support.Yearly assessments at what training and support should you get and give to management.
Pros
Incentives on a yearly basis
Cons
Long hours during peak season
Excellent modern building to work in and very near to home. Management and staff excellent. Pity I had to leave. Today I am in excellent health and need to go back into the corporate Job field. I still miss the staff and friends I made while working at the company. I built up a vast of experience
Pros
Flexi time
Cons
A highly professional and ethical company with branches all over the world. The publications published were of the highest quality and I was always confident and proud to sell and promote the products in my product "basket".
Pros
Staff discount on the publications published by the company.
Cons
Working long hours to get all the jobs done, due to staff cuts we were understaffed.
I enjoyed my stay at Oxford, I have gained a lot experience, I also learned how to make relationships and how to maintain them, how to switch customers to use OUP materials, how to probe a sale and close a deal.
Pros
Team building activities
Cons
Demanding and interesting, i serviced two provinces alone and doubled my targets
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Oxford University Press?
It is very fulfilling to know that you are part of a team making educational books for schools and universities. Everyone there is proud to be associated with the Oxford brand.
Pros
Staff discounts and travel opportunities
Cons
Rigid management structures
The publishing industry is in a state of significant change and there are concerns about the long term viability of businesses in the education publishing sector.
The company feels like an extended family. It is a wonderful company to work at, with wonderful people that support you as employee but also as individual.
Oxford - although a high pressure work environment - is a leader in the industry due to high standards. Management during my time was mixed - some good, some difficult to work with. I learned a lot about the processes involved in publishing since there was a lot of compulsory job training. The remuneration, for the level of stress and heavy workload was below what one would expect.
Pros
Lots of mandatory job training
Cons
Very high pressure work load
I enjoyed working at Oxford University Press. I was able to leave the company having gained a wealth of experience in the publishing industry. Management was great. The hardest part of the job was preparing for our 'sign off sessions' which was held every Thursday mornings with the directors, managers etc. This was a tedious process but I was able to conquer all the difficulties with my co- workers. The part that I enjoyed the most was being able to network with various people across all business units.
Pros
Hard work is recognized by managers
Cons
Constant renewal of contracts.
It can be hectic and working overtime is part of the day, but this is negotiated prior to this taking place. I have learned to multitask. Good management style and a dedicated spirit of team work is evident. Weekly travel to Cape Town can be hard sometimes. I enjoy the spirit of team work and the successes are always celebrated.
Pros
Success is recognised
Cons
A typical day would involve meeting at 9am with the Design Studio (Scrum meeting which entails a quick review on the current projects and job items running) then a reporting meeting with my Line manager to repost on workflow and time impacting issues. Then majority of the day would be trafficking job bags and work items as well as email and telephone correspondence to ensure deadlines are being met and adhered to. I learned a immense amount of time management skills as well as workflow and project management skills. Management provided excellent support in the form of constant communication and feedback. My co-workers sometimes imposed unrealistic deadlines and lacked feedback but I overcame those obstacles easily. The hardest part of my job was having to consistently pressurize and impose the strict deadlines. The most enjoyable part was focusing on book covers and working so closely with the design studio providing valuable ideas and feedback and also being a integral part of the book publishing process.
Pros
Free lunches during pressurized times (caps process) and flexitime
Cons
Long hours during critical periods and external ppl not communicating
It would have been fun if i was permanent. I think it would benefit every one if they could hire their own casuals rather than hiring from an agent
Pros
free lunches offcourse when working over time and week ends
Cons
Working on a service level agreement contract meant my hours and days were flexible. A day would include coming in and reporting to my managing editor who would give me tasks for the day if I didn't already have tasks carried over from the previous day/assignment. We would agree on a deadline and the best method of getting the job done i.e. does it need me to work in the office or can I work from home and send feedback? Our relationship was best because we both knew each other's strengths and weaknesses, and so duties were not passed on based on position but based on ability and skill for the good of the project I managed freelancers and the project from the beginning to the end Most hardest part at first was adapting to the way the company did things as opposed to my previous company where when a project was given, I was in control and only reported on the progress on a weekly basis or in case of troubles foreseen as and when needed. At Oxford I had to learn to let go of the control and share the project Working with a team of good spirited people who made the best of a not-so-good situation even when we had to spend sleepless nights to meet deadlines there's still be a lot of laughter
Pros
Doing a range of things and thus learning new skills
Cons
Long unpredictable hours
I have found Oxford to be one of the friendliest companies to work for. They have great ethics and staff moral.
Pros
Discounted books
Cons
Very strict and policy driven
it is always busy whch,i likei leaened how to inter act with clients & customersthey know how to lead by an examplethye are the team players always there for one anotheri find it funny thou..when the customer is upset.wheni get along very well with the customerafter i have achieved my wrok for the day.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
Very dedicated, hardworking staff in the division I worked in.The staff relationships are fantastic and a very happy working mood in the business. Management is approachable and as we worked with strict deadlines, we put in long hours at the end but it was well worth it. I worked freelance and would love to work for them on a more permanent basis.I enjoyed the different field I was exposed to and was really made to feel part of the team (family). The management I worked with was superb.
Pros
free lunches; made to feel welcome; access to resources
Cons
long working hours and strict deadlines