Petra Diamonds

Petra Diamonds Employee Reviews

South Africa21 reviews
4,0
12 to 14 hour shifts at five days a week drilling long holes with a Simba Atlas copco rig.
Working shifts days and nights

management very involved with daily tasks
Pros
mediacal and pension fund
Cons
mid shift lunch times
4,0
It was well working at petradiamonds good benefits with well deserving benefits bonuses until medical services was outsourced things changed with new management
Pros
Lunch
Cons
Short break
4,0
Great company with focus on developing staff and peaceful working environment. The working environment requires diverse understanding of engineering, matallurgy and a bit of geology
Pros
Development is ongoing
Cons
Extensive hours of work
1,0
Petra Diamonds is a company which is very strict in their rules and safety check.They do alot of research about you when you are applying for a particular job,to make sure you don't create fraud
Pros
Free purified water UNDERGROUND
5,0
We had days where we as a team would get together and have sport and have meals together. Getting to better know and understand each other as we come from all walks of life with different cultures and views.
Pros
Free lunch and drinks
Cons
Time constraints
Hands-on
Motivated

Meaningful and accomplished

Pleasant environment

Informal culture

No promotions available due to company politics; someone from outside the company would rather be appointed because he is friends with someone instead of looking after internal candidates
Pros
Salary benefits; Work-Life Balance
Cons
No promotions; no growth opportunities
5,0
The typical day at work you will fine the people are happy.And i learned that p.p.e one of the best.To yep the workplace ,the hardest part of the job is when is background.
Pros
Free lunch
4,0
Empowered to lead and manage as required. Quick decision makinng. Flat reporting lines. Excellent exposure and very entrepreneurial company. One is allowed to be stretched.
Pros
Good exposure
Cons
Remote location
3,0
a typical day at work involves overall planning, ring design, tons reconciliation, reporting, and underground visits to see the status of the blast, and fragmentation analysis.
3,0
Enjoyed the daily challenges. Workplace and co workers made the impossible possible. Put in a lot of long hours, however all targets where achieved. Only negative part that made me look for another job was that management could only appoint me as acting shift boss.
benefits
Cons
salary
3,0
I grew at Petra diamonds. I was on their accelerated development program, where I gained managing skill. This is the company that was confident to appoint me as Head of Department in Human Resources Department.

I enjoyed working under the General Manager and I had great support from head office. I learned to stand for what I believe in. My manager should confidence in me to lead the operation and to do my best.

The company has grown over the years and approached me to rejoin them but I couldn't because I am a very loyal person. I was focused to my current employer and I wanted to build my profile. They could not also meet or beat my salary, hence I remained with my current employer. Honestly, they Petra diamonds is the best employer or company to work for, in terms of their passion to develop their employees and employment equity drive.
Pros
Development
Cons
Salary and benefits
4,0
- A day in the life of a `miner` can be monotonous or overwhelming
- Koepe winders

-open door policies

-On this mine or another people where you go are the same just there names change
5,0
I love my work and learn something new every day. I am fine with all my co-workers and there is no hard part in any work. I like all people and every one is fine working for me and respect me like I am respecting them.
5,0
a very productive environment to work at,every day was an adventure for becausse one learn new skills and technique every day.good team work between workers and management
Pros
off days after fatigue shift
Cons
underground
5,0
I am a hard working loyal individual who aim at completion of the job at hand at all costs, but strictly adhering to all health and Safety regulations.

I am a team player and treat each member of my crew and colleagues with the utmost respect.

I function very well under pressure and timelines.

I strive to uphold the Mission and Vision of the company I work for at all times and treat my superiors with the respect they deserve and abide to their decision making and planning.
Pros
housing
Cons
long hours, no lunch no smoke breaks
5,0
Conduct issue based assessment,do monthly planning Identity hazard within the working plase.supply with safety equipt
and achiieve My monthly call
Pros
nice accomodation
Cons
bonus after achieving monthly call
3,0
machining of spare parts and installation
management very autocratic

co workers are a good team

being told by supervisor that you are not allowed to think is hard

being basically left on my own in turner shop is very enjoyable
Pros
Cons
working with supervisors with no people skills
got treated unfairly
leaned simple motor mechanic skills on vehicles and earthmoving machines
3,0
I compose DMR quarterly repots.Address all problems of occupational hygiene. All ventalation engenering jobs.Work under pressure in different sectors. Give them training due to my experience and communicate well.

Reporting to my Senior who is group manager occupational hygiene

Occupotianal hygiene and Ventilation engineering planning
3,0
a Typical day at work is mostly drawing on Autocad for 7 diffrent mines located in Africa, i dont really have co-workers but have managers. The hardest part of this work is to help all the boilermakers on site and to provide drawings for the other 7 mines at the same time.

But I am a photographer to, photography is the one thing that i enjoy the most in my life.

i want to relocate to America or any other place exept in Africa
Cons
short breaks, health care
3,0
Starting of early my typical day is full of problem solving,meetings,preparation of reports for management,handling queries and problems of employees and clients.
My department consist of 16 people all dedicated to their jobs.

The hardest part of my job is time restrictions and deadlines to meet for reporting and reconciliations.

My job is interesting and I have alot of challenges.
Pros
small team
Cons
faraway from cities