Planet Fitness

South Africa143 reviews

3,4Work-Life Balance

Found 143 reviews matching the searchSee all 6 154 reviews

Learning curve

The sales targets for a gym are very unreasobable. They take your sales if previously signed members do not pay the following month. It takes over 40 sales a month to actually earn good money. At least they give you basic and commission. But there are no other benefits (Orange club) And Blue clubs are actually the ones who are treated good and earn better salaries.The set up part and presentations are tough because you have to get your own spots. Carry the equipment and you are expected to generate more than 20 leads a day, update your diary and makes sales even in the midst of recession. Sometimes you sign people and 20% would cancel within 5 days cooling off period and that is very discouraging.

Great Yoga Students (Members), good yoga teachers, bad management

Company didn't honour group fitness contract as I had a membership contract before I became a yoga instructor there. If you do sign a group fitness instructor contract which states that you are entitled to free training and are already a member, it is your responsibility to phone the call centre and pay a fee to activate free training. The pay is very low for experienced yoga instructors and frankly the membership team from a club level to provincial level are dishonest and don't take criticism well. They refused to refund membership fees I had paid while teaching there, but did not tell me to change my membership contract to a group fitness contract. Also the company does not treat all contractors equally: Some yoga instructors were employed without cpr certification, but I had to go on a course before they would allow me to teach. I really got the feeling that Planet Fitness only cares about money and doesn't care about its employees...

Pros

Club has a great dedicated hot yoga space

Cons

Low pay, ineffective/ managers, cutting corners

Atrocious company to work for

One can tell an awful lot about a company and what they think of their staff when you see their staff room. How many staff rooms you think Planet Fitness has for their 40 plus gyms? ...ZERO they do not have a single staff room in any of their clubs nationally.

Pros

Free gym

Cons

No weekends off and long hours

People are friendly

My time working for planet fitness was one where I had the opportunity to gain a mass amount of knowledge. My people skills improved vastly and my communication skills grew greatly.

Pros

N/a

Cons

N/a

poor management and support

was a great company as they are growing but the managers and support team is poor and they victomise everyone. poor labour practice in terms of pregnt

Fun place to work, plenty to learn from and grow

The work place is fun, I learnt plenty. Very demanding and leaves no time for family/ Must be flexible and highly adaptive because of the long working hours and the possibility to be relocated to a different club.

Pros

free gym accessibility

Cons

No benefits or stability

Gun place nice staff members

Its very nice and everyone works together and work out problems and help where ever they can and stand by each other .Whe are an strong team of young people that support not just our staff group but also our members and whe try to supply the members with our best at heart.

Pros

Most weakends off

Interacting with the members

Getting to interactive with the members helped me improve my interpersonal skills. I also had the opportunity to assist with some training lessons that was needed to be given with assisted me to become more comfortable in front of others.

A very good and professional work enviroment

Professional yet layed back enviroment. Working closely with customers face to face and telephonically on a daily basis. Building relationships with customers.

Pros

Fun working enviroment

Cons

Late shifts

Very Productive

admin work, greeting visitors, answering phone calls. Customer service. The management was very nice. The workplace culture was ok. working long hours. Meeting famous people.

Pros

Tips

fun work place

At planetfitness i enjoy working because they understand people if you have problem my duty was to do cleaning in the morning and evening just to check everthing is clean in the gym

Pros

no free lunch

Fun, just long hours

Working at Planet Fitness was a great experience. I met awesome people whom I will never forget. The hours is just impossible, upon that was the gym far from me, so driving girl alone was a bit risky.

Pros

45% off at Ouma

Great Place to wrok at

Planet fitnes is a great place to work at but the salary is way to litte for the hours worked and the management is not friendly at all. Planet fitness has no benefits and do not pay public Holidays

No 2 days are the same

Since I currently manage 3 portfolios, my day is very diverse, priorities can change on a moments notice. Typically, I address any IT related issues followed by reviewing/ writing/ amending legal contracts and then correspondence with loyalty partners. My co-workers see as approachable and someone who is always will to help them get the job done. During my 10 years at Planet Fitness I have learnt how to meet people at their level of understanding. I enjoy the fact that no two days are the same; however, this can also be challenging as it means working 14-hour days.

Pros

Lyoal

Fun workplace

Working there is just for me to get experience and understand how I can gym and target the right kind of muscles..... The management is a cool guy, his understanding and easy to talk with... The workplace is just cool everyone is good to thee other... Having to do aerobics was the most difficult things... The classes are intense... Having to train and doing what I love which is fitness training. Working with my fitness

Pros

No free lunch

Cons

Short hour

Fun work place

Also had to deal wth customers from different calibres it was a good experience cause i got to understand different personalities and also get exposure to understanding different people

Pros

Had free gym membership platinum

Cons

Long hours less pay nd theres no geowth

It was a fun environment. Although the managers were never hands on with anything.

I started working at fitness in the year 2016, it was fun at first.. Until I started having to do more than I was required to. Their salary was peanuts compared to the things I was responsible for. The manager was way younger than me and was never open to discussion with any of my queries.

Pros

I could leave an hour early if I didn't take my lunch break.

Cons

I had to work even on my off days.

Fun and lively environment

I've learnt in my current role everyone have their own goals and you as an instructor need to meet every individuals goals by progression to everyone's fitness level. Management is very friendly and helpful in all means. Work enviroment is very diversity and open to all which make it pleasent and joyful. Most enjoyable part is seeing the progress of the clients and to ensure they are happy and satisified with my service. I've built a good clientele based and is open to all. Hardest part of it all is that Cape Town is facing water crisis which affects members participation within the gym due to now water to shower, other than that everything is good.

Pros

Meeting new and exciting people

Cons

System issues

Your Home away from home

early start 5 am everyday had its own story to tell and learned how to handle differernt chases on and daily bases different issues withtin in floor and trainer and sales always finding the correct termology to keep everyone at easy and the fact that you always on your toes love it

Productive place to work

It's a fitness facility in hennops centurion,had an opportunity to get trained by one of their best actually obtained a certificate as a qualified sales consultant. very good company looks after its workers good clientele ,have learnt alot from planet fitness I believe in myself more because of what the taught me I can work underpresure without actually feeling the pressure .

Pros

No free lunch

Cons

Very long hours

Professional and Vibrant working Environment

This has been one of the best companies I had the opportunity to work at, the working environment is vibrant, staff are friendly, alive and helpful. The Management team are fair, understanding, and professional... The company has taught me to work better as a team, to build one self and to always be positive. Personal and Professional growth withing the company is always expected.

Pros

Quick corporate growth....

Cons

Long Hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Planet Fitness. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Based on 6 154 reviews

3,4 out of 5 stars for Work/Life Balance
2,6 out of 5 stars for Salary/Benefits
2,9 out of 5 stars for Job Security/Advancement
3,1 out of 5 stars for Management
3,4 out of 5 stars for Culture
  • Planet Fitness
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?